1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

2011 TXC 250 - First Bike

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by MGW, Jan 31, 2015.

1. MGW Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TXC250
    I recently bought my fist bike (in my mid-thirties): a 2011 TXC 250. The bike actually still has the original tires on it, the original owner estimated about 65hrs or so on the bike (no hr meter).
    I've read that these bikes can be great, or can have some serious starting issues. I bought a back up temp sensor in case the stock one fails.

Other than setting the sag for my weight (210lbs), installing a lightand adding some hand guards, is there anything else I should do to the bike in terms of set-up, modifications or preventative maintenance? The first owner put a larger rear sprocket, new chain and uncorked the power (factory mod). He also did an oil change (synthetic) and put in a fresh plug before I bought it.

I plan on checking the valves once it warms up a bit out side.
    I plan on riding trails, hopefully up in the mountains a bit as well. Unfortunately I have a few more months of winter to get through...

Thanks for any tips. IMG_0432.JPG
  2. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08\013 WR250, 010 TC250, 012 TC250
    Nice bike,.. no great 6speed dirt bike ... ... I'm not surprised on a bike being that old and just sitting in a garage looking so new .. Lots of stories like this in the states ... One aspect I miss about living there is the abundance of low-costing dirt bikes...

There were efi \ fuel pump coming lose \ efi mapping issues with several of these models ... The previous owner really needs to update you the factory MODS ... Another question might be did you add any of the JD tuner stuff ... But who knows, maybe your bike will run fine day one.

On the starting, the estart with the worm-drive gear gave issues on some models ... The kicker should always work for starting ...

Sorry about being so vague on the topics but I never purchased a EFI until recently and I never took the time to read all the threads on these bikes ... I do have several Huskies about like that one and I'm not gonna ride anything else for the distant future. These bikes feel just too cool to me to even consider anything else... I do like and want a CR 6speed tranny but I can wait to change one of mine out from a 5speed to the 6speed.

Not sure on the forks, open or closed chambers, but sometimes you need some work there. Some of us get by with a little work there and some want PRO help there ... Your weight might dictate you need heavier springs but ride it first.

That hot-start lever can be your friend... don't be afraid to use it often, as needed with an engine that is hot ... It's not gonna hurt anything to pull it every time you start the bike, IF that is what helps start the bike. All my Huskies start slightly differently... I usually do ~3 kicks and if the bike has not started, change something and 3 more kicks ... Not 2-stroke type kicks...easy push-downs on the kicker through the entire stroke from TDC ...

Gas that has ethanol in it can gum up the injectors on the bike so be careful about letting it set too long before spring riding time. Either get non-ethanol gas, add some sort of gas treatment to the tank, drain the tank, or start the bike weekly or so ...

Here's a review and ride safe ... Maybe learn to cover the front brake lever for safer riding ...

http://www.motorcycle.com/manufacturer/2011-husqvarna-txc-i250f-review-91109.html

--

One more thing ... That bike is a high performance dirt bike. It can be ridden easy and slow but its a thoroughbred ... The faster the better... But after reading stories here for a few yrs now, I'm convinced everyone does not need (or actually want) a high performance bike, such as that Husky you have.
  3. LandofMotards Moderator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 TC250
    Popular things seem to be the silicone hose kit and zip tys xf coolant and mobil one 0-40 european car formula (cheap at walmart). Oh and a SS filter is supposed to help flow oil more.

Every mod to keep it cool
  4. MGW Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TXC250
    Thanks for the feedback. I brimmed the tank with ethanol free gas and added fuel stabilizer so I don't get condensation over the winter. I probably didn't need such a high performance bike, but it seemed like a great deal when I looked at everything else on the market.
    Are perimeter rad guards worthwhile?
  5. LandofMotards Moderator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 TC250
    7602 racing is a site sponsor and has all the cool anodized parts you want :)
  6. MGW Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TXC250
    Cool thanks! I was thinking of getting the radiator braces for crash protection. the radiator guards that go over the front look cool, but seem like they would restrict airflow a fair bit. does anyone use them or am I better off just with the stock shrouds?
  7. Colo moto CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    7602racing.com
    The front guards protect against roost from other bikes and trail debris like branches sticking out at rad height. If you don't ride in areas or situations where you think something could come through the front then they aren't necessary. Putting anything in front of a radiator will affect the airflow. We designed the guards to flow as much air through and around them as possible. In several years of riding a 2010 TXC 250 with our brace/guard combo I not once boiled it over.