2011 TE449 vs 2013 TE449

Discussion in 'General (Main)' started by BigIrish, Sep 13, 2016.

?

Which bike do you recommend?

Buy the 2011. 2 vote(s) 100.0%
Wait for a 2013. 0 vote(s) 0.0%
Wait for a 2012. 0 vote(s) 0.0%
  1. BigIrish Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None right now, looking for a te449
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 CBR 1000RR ABS
    Hi,
    First time posting so please forgive me if this is in the wrong category or has already been asked elsewhere.

I'm looking to pick up a TE449 for occasional (few times a Month) off road use and to convert into a supermoto for road use more frequently. I live in Ontario Canada so legally making a dirt bike street legal is impossible, which is where the TE449 comes in as it is street legal from the factory as you all know. These bikes are rare in my area, the closest one currently available is a 2011 with less than 1000km on it for $4500 CAD (USD $3414.52) Or Best Offer, the bike is 4hrs from me (I'm fine with making the trip). I have heard that the improvements made by Husky on the 2012 and more so the 2013 make it a much better bike when compared to the 2011. I have yet to see a Te449 that was not a 2011 show up anywhere near me. So, My question is: Should I buy the 2011 (if so how much would you pay?) or should I wait for a newer bike like a 2013 or 2012 to show up? as the upgrade are Husky made are worth the wait.

Thanks,
    BigIrish
  2. Huskynoobee CH Sponsor ZipTy Racing

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449 2006 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    HDUltra Classic IT200 YZ250 SV650s
    2011 is a great bike, but I'm biased. The good-same motor as any year. If you are tall and have long legs, you'll be fine. Has a key ignition which was deleted in 12.

The bad- ECU is locked so can't load Map 3 which cures most of the lean issues unless it had a full race exhaust. I run a PowerCommander in mine and it rips, so no biggie. It's actually too tall in the rear for proper balance, but shortening the shock fixes that. Plastic is more complex on the 11, but again not a big deal.

Do you know what, if any mods are done on the bike?
  3. ScottyR Husqvarna
    AA Class

I have seen that bike advertised and it looks nice. I would be very concerned about parts for one. I know for a fact that rods/cranks are on b/o with "NO ETA" right now. The 12/13 is a slightly better bike moreso because of the suspension changes. Some of the 11s can be reflashed but it is hit or miss whether the ECU can be reflashed or not.
  4. rancher1 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Scotty, the 2011 TE 511s can be reflashed, the 2011 TE 449 can not.
  5. Huskynoobee CH Sponsor ZipTy Racing

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449 2006 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    If you run enough oil, change it often, and treat the motor nice, parts issues like those will sort soon enough. With CCM using the exact same engine in their new 450 Adventure we will soon have access to spares again. Relocating the engine breather will extend the life of the torque convertor and/or the addition of a complete system by ZipTy will allow you to run much more oil and further extend the life of the internals.
  6. BigIrish Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None right now, looking for a te449
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 CBR 1000RR ABS

Thanks for the info, I'm 6'3" so the height of the bike should be fine. I will definitely be doing lots of mods. I'm one of those guys that just can't leave something stock. First and foremost will be the the supremo conversion then probably better front brakes from motomaster (four piston caliber kit) as for supermoto the stock front brakes aren't adequate in my opinion. I will probably be doing suspension work to re-spring for the road as that will be the bike's primary home. I'm guessing that that will make a large difference to its off road capabilities. The question I'm asking myself is if it's easier to ride a bike set up for the road on the dirt or vice versa, that will decide whether I re-spring the bike or not. Probably not going to do an exhaust as the Canadian bikes come stock with a full Akra system (it is not the full titanium race exhaust but the same akra that comes on the euro bikes). In terms of engine mods if the bike is still lean with the akra then putting a PCV on isn't a big deal to me though the owner of the bike that I'm looking at claims the bike has a "Race Map" loaded into the ECU already (no idea if that's race map 2 or 3). I have been looking at a oil recovery system for the bike as well, the two that I have been looking at are the Zipty and the Toxic moto kits (most likely gonna go for the ZipTy). You also said that the plastics are more complex on the 2011s, is it possible to put 2012 or 2013 plastics on the 2011? I plan on getting a full set of UFO plastics and either vinyl wrapping them or putting on a custom graphics kit.
  7. Huskynoobee CH Sponsor ZipTy Racing

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449 2006 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yes 2012 and later plastics fit. Main difference is the rear fender went from 3 piece 2 one piece.
  8. ScottyR Husqvarna
    AA Class

Did you end up buying that 449?