1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

2011 te 310 starting problem when hot

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by husky bom, May 3, 2011.

1. Phoenix Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 TXC 450
    Other Motorcycles:
    2 Ducs, 14 GG 200, 13 Husa 300
    My 2010 TXC 250 has these identical symptoms. I've had the bike a year and haven't figured it out. I did put a larger Shorai battery in it, and did notice that to help a bit this last weekend (http://www.brpmoto.com/products?pag...page.pbv.tpl&product_id=2359&category_id=1998). I have a starter, ring gear and worm gear shaft sitting on the counter to install, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

Just for reference, here's what I've tried so far:
    • Replace all fuses
    • Checked the valves about a million times - always in spec
    • Inspect wiring. There was one rub spot that I repaired, but nothing changed afterward.
    • Opened starter motor and cleaned it. The thing was a royal mess inside...the rubbery-plastic coating on the copper wires had chipped off and was everywhere in the motor. Cleaning it up made no difference, though.
    • Replaced exhaust cam - this was really to fix a different problem (decomp not working), but did make starting a tiny bit easier
    • Tried multiple batteries
    I purchased a ring gear and worm gear shaft (the part that turns the ring gear) because I popped the stator cover off and could see wear on both parts. I also remember reading in a thread that these parts were recalled in Europe. I'm just not convinced that putting these new parts in is going to change anything, though, since others have said in other threads that they have replaced the motor and the problem came back.

The last two things I'm going to try is to swap out the relays and swap out the temp sensor since I have a spare sitting around. It occurred to me that I had tried the "unplugging the temp sensor" thing with no effect, but that was before swapping the cam, so I should probably try again.

Everybody in my area thinks my bike is a pile of junk, but I'm married to it. You just can't find that beautiful combination of light weight, fantastic brakes, great suspension and [sometimes] electric start in any other bike.
  2. R_Little Husqvarna
    Pro Class

That sounds correct. Craig L owns a TE250 in NJ and he told he he dressed up his starter gear on ther flywheel or something and he has not had a problem since.

I also was told to check for a loose bearing in the starter drive system.

I have not had mine apart yet but will do it soon.

I need to look at that on mine too.
  3. thomas mallory Husqvarna
    B Class

Ok guys, being that I'm new here, someone let me know what the cold start lever does please. I thought it was a decompression lever of sorts.

I've only got about 400 miles on my 2011 TE310 and haven't had the problem, probably because I though the instructions wanted me to kick start it when hot, and electric start only when cold.

Thanks, sorry for the noob question :excuseme:
  4. JasonfromMN Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None right now :(
    Other Motorcycles:
    2013 Yamaha FZ6R
    It makes the bike idle higher with a richer mixture kinda like a choke for carborator for a cold motor.
  5. Kreza Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 TE 450
    Other Motorcycles:
    1998 KX80 2013 TM85
    Try inspecting the start button assembly, washing, particularly pressure washing destroys connections, generally it is always something simple, especially when its an electrical problem. Go with the simple cheap stuff first before blowing your cash on hard ware.
  6. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    The Cold start on my 2006 TE250 (which is what I am assuming the same as the what you are referring to) is an "anti-choke". It does the opposite of a choke - it lets more air in.

Perhaps someone with one of these bikes could correct or confirm?
  7. DG Harv Serv Husqvarna
    AA Class

Jason from MN is spot on . Its basically a choke lever on the 011 / 012s .
  8. LBM. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE310
    Other Motorcycles:
    1975 Honda CB550F
    Is it nornal for the rpm's to rise and fall while holding the lever after engine fires? 2011 te 310 at 16.3 hours.. Oh and mine does not have any hard start hot or cold.
  9. xavier Husqvarna

I had the starter, engine gear, and the starter final gear replaced on my 2012 te310. I was told by my dealer in Spain that there was a problem (switching providers) in middle of production with the bushing that aligns these gears. I will be trying the bike tomorrow, will see.
  10. xavier Husqvarna

I should have gotten a 350 excf:naughty:
    airrider likes this.
  11. Phoenix Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 TXC 450
    Other Motorcycles:
    Still having problems on the 2012?? The biggest problem with this whole thing is a lack of communication. There is obviously some sort of QC problem with some part, but in three model years, they haven't rooted it out completely.
  12. mnb Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE310 . . . . 2003 TE610e
    Those have their own set of problems, too. The 310 is a good bike. So you have to kick it once in a while... it's not like it exploded. This is a minor annoyance.
  13. Phoenix Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 TXC 450
    Other Motorcycles:
    So true. My KTM lived up to its name - Keeps Taking Money. IMO the awesomeness of the X-Lite Huskies far exceeds the drawbacks, but I wish they would get it sorted out. My hard starting Husky doesn't really make a good name for the brand around here (where there are no other Huskies and people are interested but quickly judgemental), and I really hate that because I love Husqvarna and want everyone to ride one. :)
  14. mnb Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Don't get me wrong, I think the problem needs to be isolated and resolved. But it's not so big an issue that I'd ditch the bike or the brand. Hell no. I love my 310!

Of course, I haven't had the starting problem yet, but now I know to try the kickstart if it gets fussy thanks to the wonders of the internet. :)
    Phoenix likes this.
  15. JasonfromMN Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    2013 Yamaha FZ6R
    Sounds right to me- misaligned gears, binding. Especially when it gets hot and has expanded.

Yes, its not a high tech system. Just enough to do the job and quite well I think. I like it better than my 08 450's knob on the throttle body.
  16. xavier Husqvarna

I tried the bike out this weekend, 50 km of hard technical enduro, (and I stopped and started the bike as many times as I could while waiting for others). It appears to have the problem completely solved. I am surprised that BMW don't have a campaign to resolve this problem for everyone.If anyone is interested about what they did exactly to repair this electric hot start issue, contact www.saharamotor.es Guillermo is a super nice guy and knows these bikes in and out.
    They also installed the Meo replica exhaust kit (Leo Vince header, silencer, ECU, and injector) and the bike is a complete different animal. Like day and night difference. This is kit is not yet in the Powerparts cataloge, but the dealer can ordered.
  17. JasonfromMN Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    2013 Yamaha FZ6R
    :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: Awesome! glad it worked! Hopefully this will help others as well solve theirs.

You'll need to take this back now.
  18. mnb Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Yeah, or we're all coming over there and you'll have to buy us steak and beer and show us all the good trails where you live. :D
  19. xavier Husqvarna

20. birdy Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TE 310R
    I have the same problem on my bike (2011, TE310, Meo replica kit complete). Could you describe what Guillermo did?