1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

2011 TE-310 Sheared Keys & Non-Start

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by srowzeen, Mar 14, 2017.

1. Trenchcoat85 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 TE 310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    '85 shovel, '75 DT400, '97 XR400
    The electric start isn't gonna shear the key. A miss-fire can screw up your starter gear train or crack your cases.
  2. srowzeen Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2020 FE-501

Trench - thank you for clarifying that. It takes some of my worry away that the e-start is the issue. Doesn't mean the starter isn't bad, but at least I know that pushing that button doesn't directly cause the key to shear. Although I know the worm gear on the starter spins the freewheel which cranks the engine over... I am just worried the relationship between the freewheel and the flywheel isn't a happy one, which in turn causes the misalignment. It sure sounded better last night. Sounded solid versus sketchy, it that makes any sense.
    Trenchcoat85 likes this.
  3. Trenchcoat85 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 TE 310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yeah, if everything is good then the key is just for alignment and the taper takes the torque.
  4. R_Little Husqvarna
    Pro Class

So how is it running and starting now?
  5. R_Little Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Too Bad you are not close by.

Once they are "I-Beaten" properly they run fine.

The hi idle helps cure flame outs and pop stalls. The pop stalls are more a risk the the woodruff key then E-starting will ever be.
    If the flywheel is on right it won't shear again.
    Trenchcoat85 likes this.
  6. srowzeen Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2020 FE-501
    Update!... the bike ran good for a day... wouldn't start electrically or kicking shortly after though. I ran it up to Motoxotica yesterday. Dan, the owner, kicked it over in about 7 kicks. The first kick though backfired and blew the throttle body boot off the engine again. He obviously noted this and will check it out. The previous owner took the 3 port injector out and added a kawasaki injector in it... 12 port. He thinks this could be making the bike misfire or at least have fuel timing issue.

Dan will be running tests... more coming.

Time to get a new bike though...
  7. Trenchcoat85 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 TE 310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    I wonder if you got a pulse trigger coil problem thats been shearing rotor keys via backfires.

Boot blow-off: probably a ton of excessive unburnt fuel igniting at the wrong time.

New bike- FE350... you won't regret it (it's $10k though. yikes)
  8. R_Little Husqvarna
    Pro Class

I don't think it is "I-beaten" correctly.

Let Dan look at it.

You cant just drop a 12pt injector in it and expect it to run.
    Since he bought it from Kawasaki it may still have the original 4pt ECU in it.
    The Husky 12pt came with the correct ECU. I don't think it affects the fuel timing as much as it is flooding the crap out of the motor with the bigger injector.

You need to get an injector that matches the ECU in and set the TPS properly at 102.3% WFO. Start CO's at 100.

Trench is correct, the screwed up FI might have been shearing the key all along.

It will run right once it is set up correctly.

The bike does not need a 12pt injector to run good.

I hope the key did not shear again.
    Tell Dan you put the 609 on it. It needs heat to get off.
  9. srowzeen Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2020 FE-501
    I am really leaning towards the Beta 430, $9799... the reviews have been awesome. If I could get the FE350 for less, maybe. Dan mentioned that year 2011, he tried two of them thinking the first one was a lemon, he bought another and it had the same issues. He does like the new Husky's though, as well he should since he deals them... ;-)
    Trenchcoat85 likes this.
  10. srowzeen Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2020 FE-501

No sheared key...

I sent this on to Dan... I know he is on here too, from time to time... I completely agree with you and would argue he likely agrees too. On Saturday he said that this model bike did not like a lot add-on components - it didn't adapt well to them. He thinks the previous owner boogered up the bike with too many add-on components that, in the end, didn't do a thing for it.
    Trenchcoat85 likes this.
  11. R_Little Husqvarna
    Pro Class

The Beta is a quality piece.
    Nice motor, good handling and suspension and a general good looking bike. I've ridden it and don't know anyone who owns one who does not like it. It's a little heavier than the 310 but has a nice Wide ratio trans for road cruising.

The old KTM 350's were a little problematic with the FI and E-Start. Might be better now.
  12. R_Little Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Amen, Put it back to stock.

Really, once it is tuned right it will run fine.

If the PO put all kinds of mismatched crap on it, it's not the bike's fault.

I have a 2010 TE250 that runs fine all day long with a ton of single track use on the original everything in the motor.

Check vales every year, change oil every 250 mi and keep a clean air filter in it.
    srowzeen likes this.
  13. srowzeen Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2020 FE-501
    Guys - wanted to give you a report.

Dan did a bang up job, gotta shout out to Motoxotica in Vacaville, CA. Took the bike to the Penguin Run (High Mountain Dual Sport Ride) out of San Luis Obispo yesterday. Did 85-90 miles on it. Absolutely no problems, well except the gas tank is like the bladder of the 2 yr old. Did 35 miles of road work and 50 miles of dirt. Positives? IT RAN Dan told me to use the starter like the old Husaberg restarter. Kick it, get it warm and then use the e-start. Thats what I did and it was flawless. Complaints? Transmission gearing is really tough. 1st gear is almost unusable and the bike feels like it needs 9 gears. Other than that - its all good.

That all said... thank you all for your help. I think this bike is fixed and soon to be going to a new owner.
    Trenchcoat85 likes this.
  14. Trenchcoat85 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 TE 310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Good news! Yeah, the gearing sux.

What did Dan do to it?
  15. srowzeen Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2020 FE-501
    Dan mentioned the TPS values, which were set from the factory at 100,100,100 where way off and he reset them to 97, 100 and 102 or something to this effect. Likewise the JD tuner was running too rich and he leaned it out as well. Its kicking over in 3-5 kicks and once warm you can blow on the e-start and the bike fires up.

The gearing on this bike is almost silly, in fact sublimely silly.
    Trenchcoat85 likes this.
  16. R_Little Husqvarna
    Pro Class

That is why I mentioned the Beta has a nice WR tranny!

My Beta buddies can pull an easy 10 mph higher on the road than me. Husky rules the single track though.

You can run a 49 or even 48 tooth rear sprocket on the rear if you don't do a lot of single track and don't weigh over 200#.
    The motor will pull it and then you can cruise on road at 55mph with bursts to 60/65.

Use Mobil1 0-40 euro car formula oil and change it frequently.

We told you it will run okay once set up. At those numbers it must have the 12pt ecu in it. I bet the TPS was all screwed up from when the last guy replaced the ECU.
    It needed to be reset.
    srowzeen likes this.
  17. srowzeen Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2020 FE-501

I am running a 50 on the rear, but have a 47 sitting in the parts bin. Also a 40... can't imagine running a 40 on the rear. I am running a 13 on the front.

I believe you about the single track, but that 1st gear is painfully useless. I rarely used it and we did do a fair amount of single track. The only place it came in handy were a couple of twisty hill climbs. Of course on my first, I whiskey throttled the bike right out from under myself and launched it. The next few, I was much more aware of the gearing and behavior.

I will get some of that oil and change it this weekend. Plus the air filter, though the day was met with rain in the morning, so there was little to no dust at all during the day.
  18. MotoXotica Husqvarna
    AA Class

To be accurate we reset the TPS. it was a little off but not too much. we tuned the JD tuner to leaner settings across the rpm range but more so in the lower rpm range. we reset the mixture settings to 97,100 and 102. they were in the 103,105, and 106 . made sure the throttle body was on secure so that it would not come off and changed out the spark plug. that's it. I think it was running too rich and causing some of the problems. the hard part was done buy steve , getting the flywheel on securely. dan
    Trenchcoat85 likes this.
  19. R_Little Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Thanks for the input Dan

I don't use the JD tuner on either of my 4pt or 12pt x-lites and they both run fine all day long.
    I've had I-beat since 2010 when I bought the TE250 and find once they are tuned they run bog free and start 1-2 kicks all day.

I actually like the 4pt TE over the 12pt TXC310 in real tight woods and slop. I have a 12pt but never put it in since I could not seem to get the injector screws out of the TB!