1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

2010 TE450 No pump prime and won't start.

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by Bikerdad, May 7, 2011.

1. Bikerdad Husqvarna
    C Class

The last two rides the bike has stranded me on my ride when I turned off the engine to take a break and it would not start back up and I could hear that pump was not priming when I turned the key on. My ride today was fine , bike ran great till I stopped and luckily some guys out 4 wheeling in a jeep were able to tow me back to the staging area. Tried starting and still had the problem so loaded up and went home. When I got home and unloaded tried starting and bingo the pump primed and she started right up. I saw a tread or two on the cracked fuses that caused the pump to not prime but I am wondering why it is so intermittent and what else I should check. Anyone have some suggestions or thoughts?

Thanks,
    Andy.
  2. Phoenix Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 TXC 450
    Other Motorcycles:
    2 Ducs, 14 GG 200, 13 Husa 300
  3. Bikerdad Husqvarna
    C Class

I thought that would just effect the fuel pickup and the pump would still try to prime. I still had plenty of gas did not add any when it started working again both times this happened.

Guess I should pull the pump and check it anyway.
  4. DG Harv Serv Husqvarna
    AA Class

I had this problem , It was one of the connectors behind the Headlight ( Kill Switch ) and it had pulled apart a little ?

Maybe worth a try .

Also possible Relay for fuel pump ? swap with one for fan ? Check Fuses as mentioned ? Check wiring ?
  5. OlderHuskyRider Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 TE 450 - last of the ITA motors
    Other Motorcycles:
    Kwaka KLE, HD FXDWG
    Check all your connections, replace your fuses, and if that doesn't fix it, then the pump is crudded up with stuff and seizes up with the heat build-up, happened to me, now its a $130 fuel pump replacement. (when it happened to me 4 months ago, the only fix was $500 entire assembly replacement, but I escaped that as well.)
  6. MotoXotica Husqvarna
    AA Class

check battery connections to the starter soleniod.dan
  7. MOTORHEAD Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 YAMAHA YZ250
    Could also be a sticky relay. I swapped mine with the fan relay for trouble shooting and found it to be the problem.
  8. OlderHuskyRider Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Kwaka KLE, HD FXDWG
    True this, if upon turning on the key, you don't hear the normal relay click once and then 3 secs later click again, it could definitely be the relay.
  9. JasonfromMN Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None right now :(
    Other Motorcycles:
    2013 Yamaha FZ6R
    Yet again, check the relay and wiring, ground wiring too.
  10. zwoop Husqvarna

i think I'm having a similar / same problem. My bike suddenly stopped running, and when I turn on the ignition, I hear two clicks about 3 seconds apart, but no fuel pump "action". I've checked the three fuses, the front wiring, and the wiring to the tank. I have not checked the relay(s), or the pump itself. Speaking of which, where is this relay anyways?

Any other suggestions here (Before I did into the tank and fuel pump itself).
  11. MOTORHEAD Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 YAMAHA YZ250
    The relays are right above the valve cover, on the frame. I think the wires are marked as to which one they are.
  12. zwoop Husqvarna

Found them, I don't think that's my problem (but I tried switching the two on the left side, and still only get the clicking noises). I took the fuel pump out of the tank, and tried applying 12v (as per the service manual) to the pump directly. Nothing. Can I assume this is indicative of the pump being dead?
  13. MOTORHEAD Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 YAMAHA YZ250
    I'd say so.
  14. OlderHuskyRider Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Kwaka KLE, HD FXDWG
    Yeah, on a good pump, you get whirring operation. Time for a new pump.
    http://www.ca-cycleworks.com/products/fuel-carbs/fuel-pump-for-fuel-injected-husqvarna-4-strokes
    quadmaster206 likes this.
  15. jaro51 Husqvarna
    A Class

I've had this twice, both my '08 SMR and '09 SMR's did it. One of the wires going to the fuel pump is a very small gauge and separated from the connector. Pull the pump and make sure all wires going to the pump are fully functional. And make sure you read up on the slipping fuel pump issues and fix that while your in there.
  16. zwoop Husqvarna

Yeah, I checked the wires, I actually applied the 12v source straight to the connectors on the pump (and no reaction). And yep, my pump had definitely slid out of the bracket (at least 1/4" out), this is very poorly designed indeed. I think I can reseat the replacement much better, with a properly positioned tiewrap. The one thing though with the Husky, I love working on this thing, everything is so easily accessible (at least compared to my old Yamaha).

Thanks everyone (and thanks a lot for the link to the fuel pump).
  17. R_Little Husqvarna
    Pro Class

I had the same thing happen to me twice at a race last year.

Hit a big whoop or log and bike dies.....relays clicking..no prime.
    swap fuses, relays....nothing.......take pulp out of tank and it runs in my hands. Put it back and ride one more section....one more big hit, pump dies...take out pump still no worky...wiggle wires pump starts...put it back...spill gas all over myself...get it running...to check 58 miutes late get to last check...bike dies...1990 Dr350 tows me in to pits.

Get home and bike works fine..

The dealer (T&C) replaced the pump under warranty and it has been fine since...new pump is much quieter then the old one.

No crud in the tank at all.....pump was moving in the holder but that causes a low fuel issue not a pump failure.
  18. zwoop Husqvarna

Well, the good new is that my RPM One extended warranty covered the replacement pump, so I'm good to go as soon as the part comes in :).
  19. Bikerdad Husqvarna
    C Class

Well after checking the easy stuff to no avail I gave up and took the bike into the dealer. They were able to duplicate the problem and traced it to a bad temp sensor. They are now waiting for the part to come in so they can replace it. Bad news is it is getting hotter here and if they take much longer it will be too hot to ride when I get the bike back. Supposedly Husky is using a new temp sensor as the old one had these issues and that is why it is in short supply.

Anyone no what the new part is, if it is generic I might be able to find it sooner myself?
  20. quadmaster206 Husqvarna
    AA Class