1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

2010 TE250 starter issues...Any one else?

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by DougW, Jul 18, 2010.

1. DougW Husqvarna
    AA Class

I'm now on my second starter. The dealer replaced the original starter and now this one as well (2weeks old) is acting up. When the bike gets warm after riding it, the starter struggles to turn the bike over, to the point it sometimes will not spin at all. This morning I rode for a total of 10 minutes before it wouldn't start. I can be in neutral, and will not feel any resistance with the clutch dragging. The battery had been replaced with the new yusa replacement. The measured voltage is good. Also, the bike will not kick start either. That seems free to turn over so the engine doesn't seem to be sticking anyplace.

Any one else having any issues like this?

Thanks
  2. Rusty Nuts Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 TE310
    check valve clearances maybe,my dealer has said that bike will get hard to start when clearances start to close up.how many k's have you done
  3. Darkside Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none left
    Other Motorcycles:
    beta, ktm, aprilia
    My starter won't turn over the engine sometimes when it's hot. But it usually fires first kick.
  4. glangston Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 Husqvarna TE 310
    Other Motorcycles:
    2012 BETA 350 RS
  5. kouack Husqvarna
    AA Class

Sound more like a weak battery
  6. DougW Husqvarna
    AA Class

I have maybe 2 hours on the bike since the dealer replaced the head. I realize that this is a leap, but I can only assume that they re gaped the valves when they did replace it. however I should check that because the 2 starters have been replaced since the head replacement.

As for the battery it doesn't seem likely to me. After returning home tonight and the bike was cool, I was able to restart the bike multiple times in a row with no issues. If the battery was low on juice, I would think it would eventually just spin slower during the restarts. The problem that happened today was I started the bike, road about 10 min, and stopped, then tried a restart.

Thanks for the input.
  7. Ex HVUK Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    I'd suggest inspecting the starter gears - it's unlikely to be two faulty starters so maybe there is an issue with the starter gears when the bike is hot causing excessive drag. There was a mod on a limited number of early bikes to replace these because of this issue...

Dave
  8. Darkside Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none left
    Other Motorcycles:
    beta, ktm, aprilia
    I'm glad they got your bike straightened out for you. Fixed under warranty?
  9. DougW Husqvarna
    AA Class

I'll let the dealer know that you mentioned a mod. My vin is like 0004 so I'd suspect it was an early bike.

The dealer so far has fixed every thing under warrentee. As of now though, it is out of warrentee since the starter change out. I'm hoping that since this is an ongoing problem based on me bring it to them prior they will keep trying to fix it. If not, I did purchase an extended warrentee so hopefully that will work if needed.

The bike was in the shop for 3 months for the head and now this issue. Will it ever end? <G>
  10. R_Little Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Mine seems to be doing the same thing now.

I just got it back after the fuel pump was replaced.

It will not start on the button when hot.

It will kickstart fine but the starter labors and will not start when hot. I pull out the kicker and it starts right up.

If I let it cool 15 minutes it starts fine on the button.

Any ideas?
  11. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    My 2010 TXC would start way EZ with the starter or kicker. I find it odd that yours will not start with the kicker. What does it do? Check the valves ASAP.
  12. ScottyR Husqvarna
    AA Class

It is not the starter or the head. It is the starter gears. There is a service bulletin coming from Husqvarna about this. I have had to replace the gears on 2 bikes already. Both were early build TE250s.
  13. raisrx251 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Are you running the turn tech 2.5 battery? Try putting the stock one in and see if that fixes it too.
  14. ghte Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2 x 310's, 2016 Beta 480, SWM RS650
    Other Motorcycles:
    2016 Multi ,Griso1100, Monster695
    Really smells like valve clearance to me.
  15. DougW Husqvarna
    AA Class

The first time around my dealer replaced the starter motor. This didn't fix the issue I had. After taking it back, they replaced the gear portion of the starter and so far all is good.

Doug
  16. glangston Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 Husqvarna TE 310
    Other Motorcycles:
    2012 BETA 350 RS
    Did you figure out it was the gears before you got the bulletin...?
  17. ScottyR Husqvarna
    AA Class

Yes. We pulled one apart and then coincidentally, my top tech went to a 3 day school put on by the Husq Factory the same week and it came up in discussion. In most cases, the starter is buggered up as well if the gears need to be replaced.
  18. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08\013 WR250, 010 TC250, 012 TC250
    Too bad on this issue ... Where are this service bulletins published at?

My 08 TXC250 has 300+ hrs .... same battery, same starter .... Zero issues to date in this department ... Engine starts in < 2 secs on the starter or 1-2 kicks 98% of the time ....
  19. R_Little Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Turntech 5.0. 13.5v at rest 14.25 with engine running.

Will crank all day when the motor is cold. Won't do 1 sec when hot.

Kickstarter works fine when hot. Auto-D and valves are fine.
  20. R_Little Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Is there a TSB out now?