1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

2010 TE 250 Timing gear issue

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by AgentSmith, Aug 30, 2012.

1. vintageveloce Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 TE250
    AAB1,
    Is the the first oil change? If its the first oil change, this might be normal stuff.
    If this is the 2nd oil change or later, and the particles are bigger than a grain of sand, I'd be concerned. If anything is as big as a 1/16" (1mm) of an inch I'd be very concerned!
    You can visually inspect some of the bearing, by removing the cam cover, but not very well. And it could easy be failing with nothing to see. All you could visually see is if the bearing cage is missing or disintegrating, and at that point you have metal parts falling into the cases.

You don't need to pull the head, only the valve cover. And you won't need to replace that gasket.

Importantly!: It's cheap and easy to replace the bearings early! Once things go bad it's really expensive to split the cases to verify all the metal is removed.

My opinion: If you have ANY concern, do some cheap preventative work! I'd get a high quality substitute for the NSK 6901 bearing (you need two) and I'd have the dealer swap them in and check the valves while he is in there. Consider it an early "break in" service. I bet the whole bearing change thing, including parts, would be less than $200 for someone who knows what he is doing. And I would not order the bearing from Husky, I would get another brand than the stock NSK, preferably something made in Germany, the USA or Japan. The manufacturer and country of origin will be printed on the bearing, inspect it yourself (don't trust the dealer).

Pinging/Tinging noise, especially with idle below 2000RPM can be the automatic decompression spring. If its from the top of the head and goes away when you rev over 2000 rpm, that's probably normal.

You are not being paranoid, especially if this is the second oil change or later.

Carl
    AAB81 likes this.
  2. AAB81 Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 TE 250
    Other Motorcycles:
    2013 TE310 (my brothers)
    Carl,

Thank you so much for your reply! I cant tell you how much I appreciate your advice.

I will contact the previous owner and see how many oil changes he did if any (I purchased the bike from the original owner with only 92 miles on it). That being said, for my own peace if mind I will prob just have the the bearing changed out for NSK or the equivalent like you said...I do not want to have the split the case, or worse, get stuck in the middle of nowhere on a ride.

I live in Socal so I think I will just contact Zip Ty Racing and see if they can do the work, I have no reason to believe they cant as they have been VERY helpful with some small items I have needed since I got the bike 2 months ago. Just out of curiosity, is the "NSK 6901" the actual bearing I need (size and load capability) or is that the type of bearing? (Sorry about the ignorance factor...I dont have much experience buying non-part # bearings).

Thanks again for all help!

Alex
    Centerline likes this.
  3. vintageveloce Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 TE250
    NSK 6901 are the original bearings that were in my 2010 TE250. NSK is the manufacturer and the bearings are marked "Indonesia". 6901 is somehow indicative of the size of the bearing. I would NOT get NSK, I would get something else, something made in the USA Germany or Japan. Frankly, Indonesia is probably fine, but given the NSK ones failed, I'd get something else. Bearings are complicated, but I expect a good bearing shop or engine machine shop could provide some guidance on a replacement. Note you do want an "open" bearing without seals, so that the bearing is lubricated by the engine oil. Find an expert. Pictures of an original bearing in the next post.
    Carl
    Centerline likes this.
  4. vintageveloce Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 TE250
    IMG_2227.JPG IMG_2221.JPG
    Note the thin metal "cage" that holds the bearings in place. As the bearings fail this also disintegrates. With the cam cover off, you may be able to see the cage and determine if it is intact. But as I said, you could have problems beginning even with the cage intact.
    But I'll carefully inspect the cage as well as I can every valve adjustment.
    Centerline, ray_ray and AAB81 like this.
  5. AAB81 Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 TE 250
    Other Motorcycles:
    2013 TE310 (my brothers)
    Thanks Carl! Really appreciate all the help!!

Alex
  6. Matt Shield Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 TE250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha IT 175J, Montesa enduro 125L
    I have mine apart right now due to a final drive bearing disaster, and will now replace these indonesian bearings as a matter of course. I'm tempted to replace every bearing in the cases now. Has anyone else had a final drive bearing behind the CS sproket disintergrate??
  7. joedirt Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr250
    I've heard of one other person but I think the failure was caused by running the chain too tight.
    R_Little and Matt Shield like this.
  8. dalecarlsbad Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 TE-250, 09 KTM XC-W, CRF-150
    Other Motorcycles:
    Bonnie 904cc, 2 Daytona 675s.
  9. properenglish Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE250
    Any worries for the 2011? Also, was there any noises or other indications while riding that this was happening? I am only asking because mine makes what sounds like a flutter noise at low RPMs when accelerating. I cannot reproduce the sound when standing still.
  10. Bruce A Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 250
    So I appear to be a victim of the dreaded timing gear bearing failure. I have a quick question for anyone who has had the head off on an x lite. I think I bent my exhaust valves as they are stuck open slightly now with the head and cams removed. The only reason that they would be open is that they are bent right?

[IMG]
  11. R_Little Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Most likely yes.
  12. Matt Shield Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 TE250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha IT 175J, Montesa enduro 125L
    I've just rebuilt my '10 TE250 and thanks to seeing this thread, changed those bearings as a matter of course. Don't worry about noises or worrying about IF they're going to go, just whisk the tappet cover off and pull the gear out and change the bearings with good ones. You'll be surprised how easy it is, and no, the rubber seal on the tappet cover should be able to be re-used.

Take off tappet cover (2 10mm bolts) and take out spark plug. Turn the engine to TDC by putting it in 2nd gear and gently pushing the kicker over (wheel off ground or chain off). You can put something like a straw in the spark plug hole to tell TDC and see the marks on the cams as in the above pic. The suspect gear is on the oil feed shaft that the external oil feed hose is attached to. Attach some wire or similar to the cam chain so it does't fall into the motor. Undo the shaft and pull it out while holding the gear. With the shaft out you'll be able to take the gear out from the cam chain without splitting the chain. Those bearings can be easilt tapped out with a punch. By new ones, and remove their seals and replace them, tapping them in carefully with a socket the same circumference of the outer section of bearing.

Re-insert gear and shaft ensuring you dont rotate either cam. One tooth off and it wont run! Simple, and only costs you 2 bearings for peace of mind.
    Centerline likes this.
  13. dalecarlsbad Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
  14. R_Little Husqvarna
    Pro Class

15. dalecarlsbad Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Looks like 2 bearings to me. I have not got into the bearing replacement yet but will do a "how to" when I get around to it....snow board season right now :D

[IMG]
  16. jimmyjamez12 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    04 cr125
    Other Motorcycles:
    03 KX100, 06 KX85, 01 PW80
    I'm having the same issue here at work with a2012. The gear itself chewed up. Bearings were sticky. Also the valves were just kissing the piston. I'll show a picture.
  17. jimmyjamez12 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    04 cr125
    Other Motorcycles:
    03 KX100, 06 KX85, 01 PW80
    20140708_150548.jpg the exhaust valves were just touching. Made rapping sound. That's what originally brought the bike in. After a new gear and bearings it still made the noise so I dug deeper.