1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

250-500cc 2009 WR 300 Shifter hanging up in gear

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by 726HUSKY, Oct 2, 2011.

1. 726HUSKY Husqvarna
    A Class

Recently after plating my bike and laying out for a dual sport enduro my 2009 wr300's shifter would not return after down shifting. As in being in 5th gear down shifting to 4th and the shifter staying there. At first i thought it was the return spring. But you could shut the bike off and shift through the gears fine like it was brand new. It would even sometimes correct itself while running. A quick call to Hall's cycle was made and one of the mechanics told me that i needed to take the whole clutch/primary side of the case off and tighten an allen bolt on the shifting mechanism post. Has anyone else had this issue? If so how difficult is this fix? He said if i brought it to halls he could have it fixed in an hour but, i am 8 hours away and i am pretty confident i can tackle it. He said he bets his paycheck thats what is causing this problem. Any light on this is greatly appreciated.
  2. dartyppyt Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    17 TE 150, 82CR 500
    Other Motorcycles:
    82 125,250,430&500 79 390 83 250
    That's exactly what it sounds like. I usually clean the screw and use little loc tite on it. 125's can do this as well. There is also a spring ang make sure it is tight and there is tension on it.
  3. Croc Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 511
    Had exactly the same problem. The screw that holds the selector came loose. Remove & loctite.....end of problem
  4. Lincolnlock Husqvarna
    AA Class

5. 726HUSKY Husqvarna
    A Class

6. Lincolnlock Husqvarna
    AA Class

It's pretty easy, just be sure to stack the clutch discs in order, and do your best not to tear the gaskets. (especially the power valve linkage cover)
  7. 726HUSKY Husqvarna
    A Class

How long did it take you? I wish there were a step by step with pics.
  8. Lincolnlock Husqvarna
    AA Class

It took maybe an hour.
  9. 726HUSKY Husqvarna
    A Class

Done, i actually wrote down each step from disassembly to reassembly and took pics for anyone else that may need help.
    Lincolnlock likes this.
  10. street2dirt Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    12 TXC310, WR300, 85 125WR, 82 175XC
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW G650X
    Great thread, mine has been doing this also intermittently, looks like I'll be adding it to my short list of stuff to check.....
  11. PC. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    CR165 & CR144
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM500
    Same here. My 1-2 shifts have been sloppy for a while and sometimes it will fall out of 2nd gear and back into neutral under power.
    Got 100+hrs on it and it hasn't failed me yet!
  12. CagivaWMX Husqvarna
    AA Class

I had the same thing happen on my 02 CR 250 half way through the season. Sometimes it would shift fine and other times you would click the lever but it wouldn't register a shift. I thought the transmission was having problems so we took the whole engine apart to find that screw loose on the selector.
  13. 726HUSKY Husqvarna
    A Class

Let me know if i can be of any assistance.
  14. Bauten300 Husqvarna
    AA Class

picture one.jpg pic2.jpg

Just thought I would add a few pictures for reference. When I did mine it was not loose nor was it real tight barley had to touch it with a allen mabey a hour on the bike
    Borntoride71 and hogwackr like this.
  15. brianj99jumper Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2018 TE 300 / 2012 wr 300
    Other Motorcycles:
    1995 wr 250, 1994 yz 125, 85 XR 350
    Bauten300

How did you get the shift linkage out so you can access that allen? It looks like I need the steps before these two pictures, do you have those? I need to do this on my 2012 wr300 but when I changed my clutch a few weeks back I tried to tighten the one on the left, not seeing the one behind the linkage. I remember looking at that linkage and not seeing how that came apart so I didn't try. Is it as easy as removing the allen on the left and right to access this or am I needing to do something else?