2009 TE450 running extremely rich

Discussion in 'EFI/carb' started by KentuckyKLR, Aug 4, 2016.

1. KentuckyKLR Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 TE 450
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM 990 Adventure
    Hi All. I have an 09 TE450 that's running really rich, especially at idle. I removed the O2 sensor plug and installed my wideband meter and it struggles to hit 10:1 fuel ratio with the idle screw all the way in. On throttle it stays in the mid to upper 11's.

Bit of a back story, I just purchased the bike from someone who had bought it new and never ridden it. The fuel dried out in the tank and destroyed the fuel system. He replaced the fuel pump(complete unit, not just pump), line, and injector before I purchased it and had it somewhat running. It's had the power up done and everything is installed and or remover per the service manual, only thing I haven't verified is if the O2 dongle plug has the correct resistance. Connected it to Ibeat this morning and everything looks correct(TPS,Temp,Man. press.,ect). Only way I could get it to idle half way smooth was to move the CO1 to 70%(all were set to 105% originally. Checked the label on the ECU, it's printed that it's for a 09 TE450. Even checked the valves, little loose, but with 4 miles it's not even broke in yet. Right now I'm thinking it could have the wrong injector with a different flow rate or it could possibly be sticking when it's running. I pulled it out and checked, it's a 4 hole and doesn't seep at all with fuel pressure on it. I hit the starter button and it seems to spray correctly. Any suggestions? I'm stumped at this point.
    image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg
  2. waserman Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09 TE510
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW KTM Honda
    I'm not sure what your calling an idle screw but I believe that the screw on the side of the throttle body is actually an air bypass screw . I think mine was set at about 2 1/8 turns out from the dealer/factory . I ended up at about 3 to 3 1/2 to turns out from seated after power up to achieve around 1850 to 1950 rpms , this is on an 09 TE510. The other thing these bikes had issue with was the temperature sensor , which will make them run crappy or not at all after being warm. There are a lot of good reads here on your bike . You also want to make sure you fasten the fuel pump down in its seat as they will come loose and cause problems .
  3. KentuckyKLR Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 TE 450
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM 990 Adventure
    You are correct, the idle screw I was referring to is the air bleed screw. I had already set the set the stop screw and reset the TPS with Ibeat. The temp sensor is good through the the whole temp range watching it during the bike warmup. Already checked the fuel pressure, constant 45psi. at all times. Right now I'm waiting on an 02 sensor I can plug in to put it back in a closed loop system to see if the ecu attempts making adjustments.

It would be greatly appreciated if anyone with a 450 and Ibeat could give me an injector pulse width range while at idle. This should help me determine if the ECU is telling it to give it that much fuel or if the injector is indeed faulty. With mine warm I'm seeing a range of 4800-5200sec. It will pretty much have to be a 450 since anything with a larger or smaller displacement using the common 4 hole injector will require more/less fuel, thus a different injector pulse time.
  4. KentuckyKLR Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 TE 450
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM 990 Adventure
    I might have found the problem. In a last ditch effort I pulled the TPS even though everything looked to be working correctly on Ibeat. The oring style gasket that seals for the manifold pressure had rotted away and half of it was gone, the rest was like roofing tar. Even though it was reading a pressure drop on throttle body, apparently it wasn't enough. Doubt I'll be able to buy just the gasket so I'm going to try and fashion one out of an oring first. image.jpeg
  5. KentuckyKLR Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 TE 450
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM 990 Adventure
    Confirmed! A bad o-ring was the culprit, idles smooth as silk now. I'm not sure if one that is ridden regularly keeps the o-ring better conditioned, but now that the early EFI bikes are starting to get some age on the them it's a good item to check if you start having the same symptoms.
  6. waserman Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09 TE510
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW KTM Honda
    :applause:I'm glad you found the problem and added your findings here as well because as you said they are getting some age on them and we all (owners of these bikes) may encounter the same problem . The fuel we have to deal with is destroying all these O-rings, gaskets , manifolds , fuel pumps and filters , the fuel lines ect . You would think that with all the problems associated with the fuel you would be able to source something as simple as the gasket you had to replace . Enjoy that bike.
    R_Little likes this.
  7. R_Little Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Yeah, I'm sure that ethanol gas is not good for our bikes.

Major kudos for finding that. I would have never even looked.

Can you tell exactly where that o-ring is on the TB?
  8. waserman Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09 TE510
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW KTM Honda
    KentuckyKLR says he pulled the TPS , sooo somewhere back there . Hard to tell from the photo but it's Keihin fuel injection so we know we have it if we have a Red Head Legend Motor .
  9. KentuckyKLR Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 TE 450
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM 990 Adventure
    The 09 used the mikuni throttle body. With that setup, the TPS, MAP, and Air temp. are all made into the same unit. The o-ring for the MAP sensor is on the front side of the TPS unit closest to the engine. I'm thinking that if I would have sprayed a bit of ether around it while running I would have been able to detect a change in idle, that might be an easy way to check for a bad o-ring without pulling the TPS. The Ibeat screenshot in the first post was with the bike idling before I found the problem, note the 18kPa pressure drop on the manifold. I don't have a screenshot after the fix but the manifold pressure now is around a 60kPa drop.
  10. waserman Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09 TE510
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW KTM Honda
    Opps I don't know why I was thinking Keihin , perhaps it was high temperature and humidity or maybe I was thinking about the orange bike in the garage . I'll chalk it up to a brain fart .:excuseme: