1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

2009/2010 SMR dual exhaust to single exhaust mod

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by MXRider, May 27, 2010.

1. MXRider Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 Yamaha YZ250F
    Well, as much as I liked the look of the dual exhaust on my 450, I grew to hate them from a practicality standpoint. They add extra weight, cost twice as much to replace when damaged, and make it almost impossible to lift the bike on a stand after coming off the track.

So I decided to do something about it. I ordered an FMF Powercore 4 slip on for a 2009 TE 450. (FMF part # 045293) It ran me about $250 through my local dealer.

I then cut the mid pipe portion of the header leaving about an inch to slip into the FMF pipe. The OD of the mid pipe is the same as the ID of the FMF slip on. It eliminates the spring right there, but the overall fit is tight enough it shouldnt be an issue.

I did all this not knowing if it would work, but it worked beautifully, and this muffler is LOUD!!! So if you want quiet, Id suggest going with the Q4 instead.

Ill be sure to update with full pics after my Excel/Talon wheels and slicks get here :thumbsup:

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
  2. ghte Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2 x 310's, 2016 Beta 480, SWM RS650
    Other Motorcycles:
    2016 Multi ,Griso1100, Monster695
    Great Job, I bet you dropped 5 pounds, and all of it up high.
  3. MXRider Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 Yamaha YZ250F
    one of the OEM mufflers weighed 9 pounds.
    this muffler weighs about 5.5 pounds.
  4. jaro51 Husqvarna
    A Class

I'll through this out there and maybe can answer my own question if I have some spare time one of these days. Will the stock single exhaust off of my '08 TC250 fit on my '09 SMR450? I assume the mounting tabs are similar between the 2 bikes, just curious about the pipe diameters between the 250 and 450.
  5. MXRider Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 Yamaha YZ250F
    that Im not sure of, I would think the TC250 uses a slightly smaller pipe diameter.
    if you have a caliper to measure the pipes you could find out fast.
  6. BILLF CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    92WXC350 /Lamson CR250/701 Vitpilen/
    Other Motorcycles:
    Triumph900 Scrambler 1200 HD Nightst
    I think they are the same size ,I put the 08 power up kit Arrow on an a 2009 510,the same one fits 250/310/450/510.Great job I have told a couple guys to do it the way you did but they were affraid to cut thier pipes.Worst could happen it could be rewelded but you did it .THANKS billf
  7. MXRider Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 Yamaha YZ250F
    yeah, I was totally amazed how easily it worked out.
  8. moto66 Husqvarna
    A Class

Hi MXRider

Am in the process of gutting and recoring the standard cans but I've got a question re the hose that is blanked off with machine screw and wire ties in front of the carb. what is that hose for and why blanked? Cheers.
  9. MXRider Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 Yamaha YZ250F
    It ran to the gas tank vent canister, and when I removed it it needed to be plugged.
    Since this pic was taken I have removed the hose and brass fitting and plugged it at the source with a bolt.
  10. J.R. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    450 Supermoto! and a BUNCH 'O parts
    Addressing the older pipes, The 250 pipes will NOT fit 450/510, the size is considerably smaller on the 250. I have an 06 250 and 06 530 (510 motor but the motor is pretty much the same 04-10)
  11. moto66 Husqvarna
    A Class

Thanks, I'm thinking that was done either by dealer or the UK bikes have a different set up there. Those standard cans are pig heavy and are full of junk. I'm going for the twin set up still, recored. Thinking noise be similar as no packing in OE cans. OE cans so restrictive, more strangled than muffled. Your single set up is nice, and more ££ effective.
  12. Phil625 Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 SMR 450
    anyone have there factory dual exhaust they would like to sell? I currently have my stock set out at the powder coater after some extensive mods, looking to shave 60% weight and now have no restriction.:)