1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

2008 TE450 mystery stall?

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by mtne, Oct 29, 2017.

1. mtne Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08' TE610 + 08'TE610 sumo'd
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM 950SE
    I just picked up a 2008 TE450 with a known mystery problem. Apparently I'm now the third owner to try and figure it out...... oddly I don't think the earlier owners were members.

Symptoms are that it dies once warm/hot. Wait a few minutes for it to cool and it fires right up. Then it dies again after much less time as it's already near hot. I'm not sure what all the PO tried but the coil was stock which is the least expensive likely option so I've just swapped it out and the issue isn't cleared. The fan had been bypassed to be manual so I fixed that and the fan did kick on a minute or so before it died. It doesn't appear to get to the point of boiling over when it cuts out.

Other things about the bike. Came with SuMo wheels on it, dirt set separate. Looks like it may have been raced or at a minimum rode hard put away wet. Already has GPI aftermarket radiators, forks leak badly but no one, including me, has bothered to address that until it runs right.

What say ye?
  2. 268fords Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08' TE510'
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda CRF 100, Kawasaki KLX 110
    Water temp sensor possibly
  3. mtne Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM 950SE
    Fan kicks on like it should now that I've fixed the hacked in manual switch that it had. I've also swapped ECU's with my 08' TE 610 and it runs fine but dies the same.

Would the temp sensor have an over ride component that would kill the whole bike?!? I've always understood it being a switch for the fan only.
  4. PawPaw Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TC 449
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda Crf450R + old CB750
    Fuel pump or stator

Paw Paw
  5. Trenchcoat85 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 TE 310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    '85 shovel, '75 DT400, '97 XR400
    The temp sensor is used by the ECU for fueling purposes; I believe the ECU will also turn your fan on.

I agree with Paw Paw: stator (trigger coil really) or fuel pump. next time it dies measure the fuel pressure.

good luck.
  6. OlderHuskyRider Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 TE 450 - last of the ITA motors
    Other Motorcycles:
    Kwaka KLE, HD FXDWG
    First, when bike is cold, cycle key on and off and listen to fuel pump pressure up, record it with your phone if needed.

When bike gets hot and stalls, cycle key on and off and listen to fuel pump, if it sounds lower, or laborede or doesnt spin up at all, the pump is varnished up and must be replaced.
  7. Huskynoobee CH Sponsor ZipTy Racing

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449 2006 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    HDUltra Classic IT200 YZ250 SV650s
    ^^^Yes, once the pump is varnished or has gotten too hot it is never the same. Even the new SWM has this issue.
  8. mtne Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM 950SE
    The PO had already swapped the fuel pump. Listening to the pump both before and after cut out and it sounds the same.

From another fourm I'm thinking trigger coil, but haven't had time to test it. I also don't know if it's a separate part as the schematic shows a single unit. I'll have to do a little learning on how to test and get things opened up.
  9. Trenchcoat85 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 TE 310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Another forum suggested a bad trigger coil?? What the hell, you got that twice in this thread alone (although I'm not betting my life it is bad).

There is an unofficial test: measure the resistance of the of it. Should be around 100ohms maybe; maybe a bit higher, like 250ohms. Infinite ohms or zero is bad of course. but since your bike runs, this test probably isn't gonna help you (IOW the failure might be due to heat)

You should let folks know up front about stuff like replaced fuel pumps or diagnostics already done- saves everybody a little typing. I realize you don't know everything that the previous owners may have done.

yes, the stator includes the trigger coil (AKA the pick-up coil, pulse coil, pulser, crank position sensor, cps, ignition trigger, trigger coil, source coil, and couple of more that I forget). you can sometimes get aftermarket trigger coils and solder 'em in yourself to save some money.
  10. mtne Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM 950SE
    Gee sorry I'm sure those key strokes just killing people. I had to check the spare parts box and reference purchase email to determine the fuel pump change. Other forum as in some people I actually know said to check the trigger coil too, too as in ALSO............ Internet problem solving deserves a wide net. I hadn't gotten to check on responses in a few days.

I read 97.3 ohms cold and will let it run until it dies and remeasure...... whenever I can find an hour to do it.
  11. mtne Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM 950SE
    Okay, confirmed. Ran until it died and measured the resistance. Open. When it came back to read resistance it was as high as 175ohm. Would start and run briefly. Read open again, wash rinse repeats. Now to see if I can find it as a separate part from the stator. Or test against one from the 610
  12. mtne Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM 950SE
    It was the stator assembly which I sourced a new one out of Poland. Specifically the igniter was bad and would open once hot.
  13. Trenchcoat85 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 TE 310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    you're welcome- Paw Paw called it more than 2 weeks ago.

"igniter" is another term I'm gonna hafta add to the long lists of ignition euphemisms.

Any pics or info on the stator? Cost, seller, ect.
  14. mtne Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM 950SE
    Wow, I knew there was a reason this place was basically dead. And no he didn't. The stator itself was good. Tested good. And was second guess to another. You were more spot on and seem butthurt that I happen to see it elsewhere first. Gee sorry......
    Trenchcoat85 likes this.
  15. Trenchcoat85 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 TE 310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Apology accepted :applause:. thanks- it takes a prodigious ego to admit to their own faux pas.

This thread will be good for future readers who might have a similar problem (a bad stator, AKA trigger coil, is not uncommon- as you have discovered). Responding in a timely matter, being polite, acknowledging people's effort, and disclosing all the relevant information is all very important to get the best results when discussing problems in a forum- and to encourage people to help you. "Internet problem solving" deserves nothing less.

I should say that the resistance check is not a very robust test; a stator/igniter that passes it may still be bad. However one that fails it is definitely bad.

BTW, I gotta ask: WTH is that avatar supposed to be? I've been trying to figure it out since you started this thread.

[IMG]

good luck.
    268fords and Dirtdame like this.