1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

2008 TE 450 sputtering

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by stretchrcr, Aug 6, 2013.

1. stretchrcr Husqvarna
    AA Class

Hi Everyone,

I'm having a strange intermittent issue with my 08 TE450. It will run normally much of the time but occasionally it will run very poorly just off idle. It will cough, bog, hiccup, whatever you would call it just as I roll on the throttle and it will do the same if I just maintain low rpm. Once past the low end, it will run normally but all it take is to drop the rpm and the sputtering is there. I first though it was a fuel pump so I swapped tanks with a buddy, but the problem persisted. This weekend I did some testing to try and better identify when it happens. It seems to happen only when I stop and shut the bike off. I was able to make it happen by riding for 10 minutes or so, stopping, shutting the bike down and turning the key off. When I fired the bike back up, it sputters on the bottom for as long as I continued to ride it. After parking it for an hour or so, it was back to normal. I repeated this a couple times and got the exact same results. I then did the same thing but only used the kill button and left the key in the on position and didn’t experience the problem. Seems like it could be heat related so I might replace the temp sensor since they’re cheap. Has anyone else experienced something like this?
    Thanks for the help.
  2. OlderHuskyRider Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 TE 450 - last of the ITA motors
    Other Motorcycles:
    Kwaka KLE, HD FXDWG
    The temp sensor's main function is to turn on the fan, the CPU might read temperature to apportion fuel, but that's black magic to me and no way to confirm or deny it.

I discovered on my 450 that if I sit too long with the key turned to ON, and then try to ride it, I get low end sputtering, I pulled the clutch in and switched the key off while I coasted, then back to ON and the problem was gone, it was ghostly.

If it's not the fuel pump, it's probably an electrical gremlin.
  3. jonny08te510 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 te510/2011 tc449
    Other Motorcycles:
    99cr500/99af500 project need a donk
    Thats sounds exactly same as what my bike was doing i finally put it down to battery voltage drop from dying battery.Mate check your battery voltage under idle and low rpm and or install new one I got lithium battery and has bern running strong since.
  4. stretchrcr Husqvarna
    AA Class

Thanks for the input Jonny. Was your battery dead? I'm still using the original battery, but it is getting a little weak. It cranks a little slow but will usually still start the bike. In the morning or after it sits for a while, I'll have to kick it. Obviously it's at the end of it's life, but I didn't think it could be causing this intermittent problem since it still holds enough power to start the bike. I'll check the idle voltage and probably replace it regardless. Which Lithium did you get?
  5. stretchrcr Husqvarna
    AA Class

I checked voltage and was seeing 14.4 at idle. When I raise it off idle it settles at 14.0. I'm not sure if thats normal, but it seems about right. I know the battery is getting tired, but it doesn't seem to be creating a low voltage situation. Of course I couldn't replicate the problem riding around on the street.
  6. jonny08te510 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 te510/2011 tc449
    Other Motorcycles:
    99cr500/99af500 project need a donk
    Mate honestly what your describing about your battery is exactly what mine was like if I rode everyday had enough to start but few days no riding needed to give quick charge.As soon as I got my new battery has never done problem again it used to have like a gurgle/flat spot just off idle around 3000ish but only did it sometimes.I went with the ssb power sport lithium it's basically same as shorai bit cheaper it has awesome cranking power and seller told me can sit for few months and hold charge made alot of difference.Not saying this will fix ur prob but sometimes battery isn't really thought about but can make difference good luck
  7. Davo160492 Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 te 450
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ktm sx 85
    Hi did any body fine why this was happening mines running rough idles fine low rpm coughs and splutters and after you get moving its fine, doesnt change when you turn it on and off plz help me
  8. Zeppo Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE510 -09
    My TE510 -09 is doing the same thing. It can start if I ride slowly with 1st or 2nd gear tight single trail and especially if I shut it down after doing slow single.
    So the temperature of the bike has something to do with this but how/why. I changed my spark plug but I haven't had the chance to try it out yet.
    It is not spilling coolant from reservoir when sputtering so that means that the engine itself is not overheating(?). Idles just normal.
    Please help if you know the answer.

PS. Mods: 530cc+PC+FMF Q4

EDIT: Yesterday I went for a ride and noticed that the new spark plug did not change anything.
    I also noticed that after I switched off the engine with the key the sputtering started. Then I tested to switch off with the red button and restarted and it helped.
  9. crancky1 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Bike: 2008 TE510 , Power Commander 5 with auto tune, plus ackro can.
    Had same issues, started out as small backfire popping every now and then, rectified with reset throttle position via Dynotune phone ap and cable (weird looks from mates when plugging bike into phone in the middle of no where)
    over time the issue deteriorated ,to the point where it wouldn't run smoothly to point where it would flame out open opening throttle, Would run on full throttle if started on full throttle, so I new it wasn't the injector or fuel pump,
    disconnected PC5, no change,
    BUT, checked: pump, relays, fuses, wiring loom,connectors.
    deduction : throttle body , electronic problem inside that black box on throttle body, not being a sparky technician, I didnt fiddle.
    purchased throttle body from wrecker,($350) installed : all good ran properly
    New Throttle body in Australia is $1000 , bike only worth $2500.

ISSUE NOW,: there must be some way of servicing / fixing the sensor in the throttle body, anybody got and leads / ideas

Question: Are the new SWM bikes running the same FI / Throttle body as the MV Augusta made Husqvarnas ?
  10. 268fords Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08' TE510'
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda CRF 100, Kawasaki KLX 110
    What is dynotune? I'm very curious about this.
  11. crancky1 Husqvarna
    AA Class

sorry DYNOJET ,
    Dynojet C3 Mobile

in google ap store
  12. 268fords Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08' TE510'
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda CRF 100, Kawasaki KLX 110
    Thanks