2008 SMR510 stalling then no power

Discussion in 'Super Moto' started by Juicebox, Aug 31, 2016.

1. Juicebox Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE610
    I am brand new to supermotos and Huskys. Just traded my R6 for an 08 SMR510. Love the bike. It seems that after like 45 minutes of riding that it starts to sputter like it is running out of gas. I thought I had barely limped into a gas station and come to find out that I only needed a gallon to top off. I start the bike up again and within 5 minutes it starts doing it again until it stalls out coming up to an intersection.

When it died, I lost all power. When I turned the key, the dash did not light up and the fuel pump did not prime. However, when I turned the key back off, the dash powered on briefly and read 4554 ie 36 and then powered back off.

I checked the fuses in the starter relay, and the 3 on the brake side under the seat. They all check good. Battery terminals are clean. Not sure what to check next. But I d/l the workshop manual and I guess I'll just start from the battery and start testing components with a multimeter for now.

Steve
    Greenbelt, MD, USA
  2. 268fords Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08' TE510'
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda CRF 100, Kawasaki KLX 110
    Do you have a dealership near by that has Ibeat?
  3. Trenchcoat85 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 TE 310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    '85 shovel, '75 DT400, '97 XR400
    measure your battery voltage (& then charge your battery?). measure the voltage of the bike running and a charged battery.

I'm thinking your charging system is suspect.
  4. Juicebox Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE610
    Yeah, I'm thinking maybe along the lines of the stator. I took my battery off the bike and tried to charge it. This was a battery purchased a few weeks ago by the previous owner. Battery is dead dead. Like neutral indicator light is flickering kinda dead.
  5. Juicebox Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE610

Nearest dealership is about 3 hours away in Waynesboro, VA.
  6. Juicebox Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE610
    Battery actually had ~13v after a charge. The stator seems to be okay. Resistance all seemed to check good. However, the battery had 0.03 amps!!! Took it to Advanced auto and they gave me my money back. Ordered a Scorpion Stinger battery that has about 90 more CCA than the last battery the previous owner had in there. I'll let you know how that works out... #thesagacontinues
  7. Juicebox Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE610
    New battery and regulator/rectifier... problem solved!!!
    Mik-3 and 268fords like this.
  8. Trenchcoat85 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 TE 310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yeah... I'm guessing one of 'em took out the other. semi-common.

congratulations.
  9. Mojmoto Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 TE 250
    Thanks for the posts!

I Had a similar problem with my 2008 TE 250. Replacing the battery and voltage regulator fixed my issues. I'm adding my story to this thread with the hope that it will help someone down the road.

I was just riding along and the bike started to sputter, then it stalled. Initially thereafter, it acted as if the battery was shot. With the key in the on position, the fuel pump would sometimes prime and sometimes not. If I tried to use the E start, it would not turn over. I would get maybe a single click from the starter's solenoid followed by a lot of rapid clicking from relays.

I looked for signs of a short but could not find any. I pulled the stator cover and, at a glance, everything looked good there. After putting a fresh charge to my suspicious battery it showed about twelve and a half volts At that point, with the key on, the thing acted pretty normal. The E-start, however, would not work. With the kick start, it turned right over and ran fine for a short while. Eventually, though it sputtered and stalled out again. I then recharged the battery and tried once more. This time, I hooked a volt meter up to the battery. I kicked the bike. It started. I watched the meter. At first, I was getting a charge to the battery somewhere in mid thirteens. After a few minuets of running it started to sputter. The poor running coincided with a major drop in voltage and the bike died.

I did not do a lot of diagnostic testing here. In stead, I decided to buy a new battery and regulator and roll the dice. So far, so good. I push the button and it fires right up. Now I am charging at 13.75 to 13.5 V. The charge is fluctuating a little with revs but pretty much stays in that range.

If this post needs deleted or moved, please do.

Fingers Crossed,

Mojmoto
  10. Trenchcoat85 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 TE 310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    those voltages are kinda low (14.1-14.5v is the sweet spot for an idling bike with a charged battery). are you taking the readings at the battery posts? is your voltmeter good?

good luck.