2008 SM450R Wont Start Bad Fuel Pump?

Discussion in 'EFI/carb' started by D3lla, Apr 17, 2018.

1. D3lla Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08 SMR450
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 4Runner
    Recently swapped tanks and replaced headlight. Went from IMS 3 gallon to stock.

Noticed one of the plugs on the head light a 2 prong plug, had a wire connecting the two leads (basically shorting it out). I originally took this out, but had to re-install it after realizing the starter would not turn over unless the plug was a circuit. (no idea what this plug does)

While transferring fuel pump to stock tank added 2 extra zip ties to fuel pump and cleaned sock out best as I could. Looked like stock fuel filter. Also ran the fuel pump dry a few times on accident...

Tested the fuel pump (held the line into a gas tank and hit the ignition on switch). Fuel came out, not idea of the pressure... but nothing crazy...just a normal stream..

Bike ran fine before the tank switch. However would flame out if I wacked the throttle hard from dead stop. (not every time) But if I went 0-wot two times in a row the second time would flame out or the third. Maybe due to lack of fuel??

Replaced spark plug.
    Put in brand new YUSA battery.
    Use 89 ethenol free gas with Torco Fuel accelerator to make it 93-94 octane.
    Bike has Power commander 3 arrow exhaust, plugged exhaust etc...

Bike has 4600 miles (*supposedly) and 400hrs (bike has trail tech tach) stock tach says bike has 1300 miles trail tech says 3xxxmiles. My guess is PO left key on at one point while on battery tender and added a shit ton of hours...Or just didn't cover many miles and putted around.

Ordered new fuel pump from amazon

My guess is when I pulled the fuel pump up to add more zip ties i moved it out of place.

I'm getting spark, air, compression, and I think fuel but i don't think the fuel is being atomized when it goes into the chamber due to lack of pressure..
  2. Trenchcoat85 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 TE 310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    '85 shovel, '75 DT400, '97 XR400
    you probably do not want to be starting another thread with the same title as in another forum category (and your problem is probably related to the fuel pump exchange... but maybe not, so it may not be an EFI issue). things tend to get scattered and disorganized quick.

http://www.cafehusky.com/threads/2008-sm450r-wont-start-bad-fuel-pump.88674/#post-640119

btw, you also may have caused an electrical issue behind the headlight or in the coil area. inspect it good.

good luck.