1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

2007 TE 450 running problem

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by Dirtdame, Sep 6, 2017.

1. Dirtdame Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 WR300,13 WR125,18 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 Beta Xtrainer
    So....last September, I was out riding a nice 100 mile loop, and about half way through it, my bike started to run rough...especially at low RPMs. Then it actually stalled while I was rolling along with the clutch in. I could get it to start again, but then it would stall. Finally, it wouldn't start anymore and my riding partner went to get a vehicle to load it into. When I tried to start it at home a couple of days later, it fired right up. I decided to check the wiring harness and all the connectors to make sure that there were no frayed wires or corroded connectors. Everything looked fine, so I took it out for a 50 mile test run, and it ran without any problems. So I decided to continue to ride it, and it performed flawlessly....until August 6th of this year. I took the bike up to the San Bernardino mountains for yet another fun loop, and about nine miles out, it began to run rough and stall. This time I was able to limp it back to the car, by keeping the RPMs up high. The next morning, it again fired right up and purred like a kitten. Anybody have any idea of what this might be? I'm pretty sure it's an electrical component of the ignition system. Not sure where to look, especially if it won't malfunction. But I realize that it's probably not a good idea to trust it out on the trail anymore until I find out the exact cause.:confused::(
  2. Trenchcoat85 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 TE 310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    '85 shovel, '75 DT400, '97 XR400
    well, if you think it's electrical, then maybe your trigger coil is going flaky. Or even your ignition coil. heat-related electrical problems are hard to test though.

have you thought about a possible intake leak? check your manifold for cracks.

my last WAG would be failing injector or sensor. [Oh shit- i can't remember if '07 was the last of the carbs or the first of the fuel injectioned.... carbs, I'm thinking? take your float bowl bolt out and look for water or crapola]

Good luck, Mimi- keeps us informed if you discover anything new.
  3. Dirtdame Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 Beta Xtrainer
    Carb model. Running crappy for a few minutes and then running good for almost a year doesn't sound like a carb problem. A crapped up carb or an air leak just usually gets worse and worse.
  4. NCSteve Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    12 WR300 13 WR165
    Other Motorcycles:
    02 XR250R 00 XR100R
    Dirtdame likes this.
  5. Trenchcoat85 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 TE 310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    '85 shovel, '75 DT400, '97 XR400
    true- unless you got something (sediment or water) at the bottom of the bowl. OTOH, it's probably not the carb- but it's a 3 minute inspection (& the intake is a 30 sec inspection) so take a quick look.

btw, carb and intake problems can be intermittent. but i'd be leaning towards electrical too.
  6. Dirtdame Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 Beta Xtrainer
    Checked that first thing, last year when the bike first died.
  7. tmmyghst Husqvarna
    AA Class

My 07 TE250 did a similar thing last year. I know you checked the wiring but mine ended up being the wire into the coil. It was partially connected but was hard to spot.
    Dirtdame likes this.
  8. 268fords Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08' TE510'
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda CRF 100, Kawasaki KLX 110
    It does sound like a electrical gremlin. I would check the wiring harness everywhere for any rubbing again.
  9. rancher1 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Have you changed the spark plug ? I had a 510 that had a problem like your and it was the plug.
  10. PawPaw Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TC 449
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda Crf450R + old CB750
    Sure sounds like fuel starvation to me. It shows to be a long time between rides and that can cause fuel to leave deposits in the carb and jets. I suggest a carb tear down and complete cleaning. I would also suggest removing the pet cock and cleaning the filter screen in it.

Paw Paw
  11. Dirtdame Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 Beta Xtrainer
    Put in a brand new Iridium plug right after the first incident.
  12. Dirtdame Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 Beta Xtrainer
    There were no long times between rides. Also, I drain the float bowl after each and every ride. I rode the bike on numerous occasions and put hundreds of miles on it between the first incident last year, and the second incident a few weeks ago.
  13. Dirtdame Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 Beta Xtrainer
    I'll be sure to give that spot some extra scrutiny.
  14. ghte Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2 x 310's, 2016 Beta 480, SWM RS650
    Other Motorcycles:
    2016 Multi ,Griso1100, Monster695
    Any update DD.
  15. oneal Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1999 wr 250 returned home.
    Other Motorcycles:
    07 TE 450 2005 TE 450 1999 CR 125
    sounds like the same problem i had with my 07 450 that turned out to be the coil breaking down. fitted a new coil no more problems touch wood.
    Dirtdame likes this.
  16. Dirtdame Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 Beta Xtrainer
    Not yet. I have been working all week, and have other projects that I am in the middle of. I'm thinking that the coil or coil wire could be the culprit. At least I hope that something that inexpensive and simple will be it.
  17. ghte Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2 x 310's, 2016 Beta 480, SWM RS650
    Other Motorcycles:
    2016 Multi ,Griso1100, Monster695
    I am sure it is not a major issue as the bike would not run at all. The intermittent aspect points to electrics as you well know so its really coil, lines or poor contact somewhere. I think you can rule out a spark plug breaking down under load or stator. I would perhaps consider the regulator. I know on the 630's that if not grounded well they play up.
    Good luck DD let us know your findings-need a happy ending.
    Dirtdame likes this.
  18. Dirtdame Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 Beta Xtrainer
    Well, I took the bike out today, and of course it fired right up and ran like a champion all day long up in the mountains. I ordered a new coil for it, anyway.
    obchris and NCSteve like this.