1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

2007 500WR?

Discussion in 'Vintage/Left Kickers' started by ajcmbrown, Dec 5, 2016.

1. ajcmbrown Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    400WR 250WR 07 WR500 430AE 360AE
    Other Motorcycles:
    1985 500CR Ducati Multistrada 1200S

That's a great looking bike! I agree with your concept too, that is another option that I'm sure works great.
    Got to love the look of the late Swedes!
    Darrel78 likes this.
  2. ajcmbrown Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:

That is very true, after riding the 2007 500 and my 88 400 back to back, you have hit the nail on the head. The late chassis is very flickable, feels smaller and narrower, and more nimble in that it seems to go where you even think about steering it, despite the old rider!

I do love the 88 400 though!
    Tony.
    2premo likes this.
  3. suprize Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR 400, bike in a box Moto Villa 350
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm 300
    look on utube and see how flickable the new chassis are...they flick riders of left right and centre..slightest cock up and over the bars you go. got to love the stability of the older geometry. the stream of injuries coming of mx tracks today is shocking...never happened with the older bikes, lots more stable. upgrading the brakes is about all that's needed...maybe better forks to soak the smaller bumps and the bigger ones. I love the concept of that bike.
    2premo likes this.
  4. 2premo Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    98 WR360, 1987 WR430, 1988 XC430
    Other Motorcycles:
    Sherco 300, 2002 KTM 380EXC

the only exception i take to your thinking is the newer style bikes are throwing the riders, and you use the MX injury rate to back it up
    yes the old bikes are quite stable and I love mine but the NEW designs are improvements in handling, I bought a new Sherco, SOOOOO easy to ride
    now back to your comment on the injuries, they are due more to the EXTREME sport attitude, I watch guys jump over things and do triple flips
    that attitude is trouble, put that attitude on a young motorcycle rider and injury is not if but when
    the absolute desire to win is a competitive attitude, mix that with daring and you have modern MX
  5. Bigbill Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '83 250wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    0 right now
    I keep on saying bring back the bigbores. I love big bores. The power envelope is so much wider bottom to the top. You can lug it or wick it the power is right there. I wish they offered a new 400cc, & 500cc 2T.

There is a difference between the older Husqvarna Swede frames and the newer frames. You can ride the Swede frame almost side saddle and she'll still track straight. The newer frames do not go off the centerline of the bike.

To me a good ride was putting the bike on the trailer with us both in one piece. I don't want to think about the days I left being a one armed wall paper hanger. You have to push it to the edge. Challenge yourself.

The narrower bikes of today remind me of the mid to late 80's 125's with more power.
    2premo likes this.
  6. gearco Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1985 500XC, 1984 400WR, 1987 430WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    1967 Bultaco Metralla, 1978 Metralla
    Yes, I used the 87 axle; you have to enlarge the axle hole and the track outside the swingarm where the square adjusters slide. The trick to putting the later wheel on the older swingarm is welding on the stay for the disk brake on the left inside of the swingarm. Remember the 4 stroke chain is on the left side, so the rear brake is set up on the right; which means to get it to work on the left side (because the 2 stroke chain is on the right) it will only work if you put it under the swingarm. I was concerned at first that it would hit rocks and things in the woods but that hasn't happened.
    Darrel78 likes this.
  7. gearco Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    My hat is off to the guy who installed the 87 motor into the 07 frame. I have the later frame and for giggles set an 87 430WR motor over into it to see what it'd take to install. There was very little room to start with, and from memory of the swingarm you have to secure the back of the motor a different way since on the old frame there was a through bolt that went through the motor case and both sides of the swingarm. In other words, the swingarm bolt on the new frame is in a different place than on the old. There also appeared to be a problem with where the exhaust pipe would exit. Maybe someone who knows how these problems were addressed could tell us the solutions.
  8. Darrel78 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    87 WR430
    I welded a stay for the rear caliper on my stock swinger; tight fit but it works well. IMG_0277.JPG
  9. Darrel78 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    87 WR430
    Those tyraps have since been replaced with proper hose clamps...
  10. Darrel78 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    87 WR430
    My rear brake master cylinder bracket is a bolt on affair; no frame mods there. You can change rear wheel bearings to stay with the 15mm stock axle size and save some effort there. Finished pic IMG_0835.JPG
  11. suprize Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR 400, bike in a box Moto Villa 350
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm 300
    don't get me wrong, the "new bike" is a marvel of speed and steering and exceptional brakes but its a trade off and i find (and this is a imho) that you have to be a bit more careful where you place the front wheel. I was very happy with my 2010 kato 300 until I got back on my 400 and now after actually racing it I find its a lot easier to ride than the newer bike. the comfort level is 200% over the kato seat unless your real fit and can stand up all day. I wasn't referring to the extreme crashes I was just looking at the number of front wheel tuckins and bar flicks you see on utube. some seem to occur following little or no incident other than a little inattention. watching twin shock racing when there is a crash you can usually see it coming as the guy has well exceeding normal riding protocol... I know where there is a spare lc frame....might graft some discs and later forks onto it and put my 400 in it...ideal scooter for a soft old fart!
    jack topper and Darrel78 like this.
  12. Darrel78 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    87 WR430
    Now just show me the electric start conversion and we're all set!! I'm working on a deco solution for mine presently as the my advancing years are making the starts more difficult.
  13. oldbikedude Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1988 wr 430 with cr suspension
    Other Motorcycles:
    66flh,67 CA77,76 CR125M,73H1,74ty250
    Obviously I love the 87-88 bikes. They are very forgiving & stable. I always thought of a disc in the back. The first thing I thought was that caliper is gonna be trashed first rock it hits... Maybe a shark fin type deflector. Great set-up though...
    justintendo likes this.
  14. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    84 250,86 400,87 430,88 250,95 360
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
    location would be real bad for getting hung up in ruts and damage like you mention.
    oldbikedude likes this.
  15. 2premo Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    So question you used the stock axle, why did you enlarge any thing
    Second what did you use for spacers axle spacers?
  16. 2premo Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Which master cylinder did you use and what bracket do you refer to?
    Darrel78 likes this.
  17. gearco Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    I used an old Ducati 916/996 Brembo rear master cylinder. Had to make the bracket; will try to find the picture and post it here.
  18. 2premo Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Do you remember the bearing number? What did you use for a seal
    On the caliper mount I dummied up a 96 rear wheel and caliper seemed the caliper needed to be narrowed a bit what did you do there?
  19. ajcmbrown Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:

Too true, my advancing years dictate that my reflexes are better suited to a very stable chassis than a twitchy one!
    oldbikedude and 2premo like this.
  20. ajcmbrown Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    I feel as though I should say that while I love the concept and execution of this bike, I'm not saying that it's the ultimate bike, just an excellent interpretation of what is possible, done correctly as the factory could have done. The PO did a great job completing this conversion and I hope to get some more detail shots of the fabrication involved, I'm sure it looks easier than it was.
    Given the advances over the last 30 odd years in both engines and chassis, it shouldn't be surprising that it is great to ride. Probably too good for this old slow arse!
    2premo likes this.