1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

2006 TC 450 questions

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by Leftcoast leftkicker, Dec 20, 2008.

1. Leftcoast leftkicker Husqvarna
    AA Class

Looking at buying a new '06 TC 450 off the dealer's floor. Never owned a modern Husky but was told thew '05s had valve issues.

What's the good, bad, ugly on the '06s? What mods work best?

I plan to race MX with it.
  2. HuskyDude Moderator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    13/TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    10/EC300, 76/TY175
    Should be good on 06's I think the earlier models had problems
    not yours...
    But if I'm work someone will speak up for sure...:cheers:
  3. HuskyT Moderator

I race GP's at Glen Helen on my '05 and track ride Perris, Cahuilla Creek Main.

The '05 and '06 are very comparable.Same motor. Minor issue I've heard the '07s have cheaper hardware/bolts/ screws etc.. on them.

The '04's had valve issues not the '05 or '06

The '06 is 11 lbs lighter than the '05 as it did not have the electric start although it can be added. The '06 also has larger fork tubes.

Most noticeable difference for me on my '05 was:

1) suspension mod by Les @LTR revalve and respring cost approx $500

2) Procircuit TI-4 Titanium Silencer and mid pipe.... dramatically improves mid range and slight improvement on bottom end... top end still screams no matter what approx $454 right now at Procircuit in Corona

3) Adjust the height of the fork tubes to fit your height and riding style as well as track.... Cahuilla is higher speed and raking it out helps...

4) if it has a stock Pirelli front, get rid of it if racing MX .... go for a Dunlop 756 or a Maxxis SX ... again depending upon track.

5) put on a set of Protapers and half waffle grips and a Scotts Top Mount damper with the big knob... easiest to adjust on the fly

6) Put on a set of ASV Shorty levers and perches and remove the clutch safety wiring that goes to the pin on the stock clutch handle .... basically remove tank trace wires down to the harness.... disconnect them and replug the remaining two ends together....( Why? it gives you a quicker start if you stall out or go down as sometimes the safety pin sticks if it gets buried with mud or roost and the stock handles easily dislodge and can rotate out of the perch enough to not allow it to engage.... the ASV's are bulletproof and never ever fail you.

7) replace the crossover tube between the radiator sides with fuel hose and put in an Uptite Y . I use Coolanol

8) mount the holeshot device if you have a tendency to pull up... otherwise plan on winning every holeshot.... ( the Husky is that good at holeshots )

9) if it has a kickstand.... strip it off

10) have a set of number plates with backgrounds made by ZLT MX ID in Corona....... They used my bike for the pattern

11) I use VP100 race fuel unmixed

12) I use Golden Spectro Full Synthetic oil and change after every three rides or after every GP race. I rid and race hard and have had zero maintenance or breakdown issues and have only set my valves once ..... 150 + hours of racing and riding

13) Scotts T-handle Fuel screw for easy adjust

Hope this helps..... this is what works for me.....

T
  4. Leftcoast leftkicker Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husky T- this was exactly the type of feedback I was looking for. Figured I'd have to get the suspension done but nor familiar with LTR; what'd they do for you and where are they at?
  5. HuskyT Moderator

Now when I get serious about rebuilding my 1980 390 motor, I plan on driving over the hill to your house with a case of Newcastle's in hand so that someone with experience can show me how to rebuild one from the case up

Les Tinius = LT Racing Port Orchard Washington the absolute Guru of Husky suspension www.ltracing.com
    He revalved and resprung both ends for me.... I'm 6 foot 240 lbs Agressive beginner ... soon to be novice Glen Helen Rider.....I stripped it all out and sent it to him. Had it back in less than a week. Call him and talk to him for a while.... I have not even looked at my suspension now in over a year and a half.... he is that good....

Sets it up for you based on what you tell him you want, your weight, your riding style, extra gear you may carry , whether you want in set up for desert or MX , rock or sandy loam etc.....

I had him set mine for desert whoops , Glen Helen and Cahuilla MX with agressive singles and occasional doubles...based on my weight and experience level of course....
  6. HuskyT Moderator

LeftCoast

Here is some jetting information for an '06

This is spot on...I copied it from my TT Thread/post you can buy a JD kit if you need it but not necessary:

Mark Decker @ Malcolm Smith helped me this on my '05 TC450 if you have any questions call and ask for him specifically... MS gets a bad rap but you just need the right guy there....

Leak jet 60 P/N 4JT-1494F-11-00 $9.09
    Pilot Jet 45 Keihen P/N 019-009 $ 3.60
    Alternate Pilot Jet 42 ( have but not using)
    Needle- Yamaha am (5BE-14916-DP-00) Needle $11.70 Pos #3
    Scotts T-handle Fuel Screw PN# SP9600-01 $17.99 1 1/4 turns out ( adjust as necessary)
    Stock Main jet

Approx $40 total

Plus
    O-ring for around throttle cable assembly PN# 93210-07135-00 $.82 each broke three installing it.. under black cover on side of carb

Adjusted all play out of throttle cables

My bike leaps off the line with zero hesitation and pulls very hard

He advised to specifically not use the Boyesen or similar quik shot on a Husky as it overloads the carb with fuel when it runs rich already...

I am extremely happy with the jetting on my bike and have never had to use the hot start since doing this and occasionally but seldom adjust the fuel screw . It is jetted to perfection.

T
  7. Leftcoast leftkicker Husqvarna
    AA Class

Sweet! Now I just need to sell my '83 250CR project to help fund this venture. BTW, I found the reprint here of the "Dirt Bike" article with Scott Summers' tips- extremely helpful and reconfirms what everyone (I think) has always said about him- total class act.

Any one with cam experience or feedback?

Husky T, swing over anytime, bring the Newcastles and I'll supply the cigars! Is that '80 390 the punched out 412? If not that's the one that'll just rip! How's your suspension set up?