2006 husky sm610 popping, breaks in power delivery

Discussion in '610/630' started by mikebikeboy, Aug 18, 2008.

1. mikebikeboy Husqvarna

I recently posted a similar thread on another website. Then I found this one, which maybe will also help, since my bike's a Husky and I'm in the cafe of huskies!

Somone told me to adjust both the idle adjust knob (with the plastic handle) and also the screw below it. I was pretty dumbfounded as to how to adjust the little nut below the idle speed adjust. It's way back there behind the HOT pipe and I can't even get my Alan key to fit back there, or grab it with needle nose pliers.

Is there a trick I'm missing?

Also, if you look in the pic below, I'm supposed to be adjusting the knobs with red and green arrows, and NOT the screw with the yellow arrow?
    [IMG]

The idle adjust (red arrow) is easy to get at. The other one (green arrow) is basically impossible (to my knowledge). The third (yellow arrow) I'm not sure even what it is, or if I should touch it.

Any help GREATLY appreciated! :clap

ps--SUPER SORRY for the lame questions, I'm a noob husky owner, just bought it the other day...LOVE the thing, and still just trying to work out the kinks in it. Got it used with about 1000 miles and previous owner had idle running super high.

mikebikeboy
  2. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    The yellow arrow shows an allen screw - turning that out (counter clockwise) will drain your carb bowl, and your gas tank if you didn't turn off the fuel at the tank...

Watch the first 10 seconds of this video to explain what you should be turning at the green arrow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olbkQIeddrM

Actually you may find the entire video useful at some point.
  3. mikebikeboy Husqvarna

thanks for the help...

as for getting at the green arrow screw while bike is running and without taking exhaust pipe off, is there a special tool I should use?

What do you guys use to adjust that screw?

4. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    The "green arrow screw" is the fuel screw. It is possible to create a tool for adjusting that but an after market (brass is my preference) fuel mixture screw is definately the best $20 (ish) ever spent - then you can adjust it with your fingers.

You should be adjusting that fairly often compared to some other things - depending on many factors.

Follow these instructions for adjusting the screw:
    http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=327405
  5. mikebikeboy Husqvarna

cool, thanks dean.

i'll look for a brass screw to put in the carburetor.

I'm assuming installing this new aftermarket screw is gonna involve taking the bike apart. hehehehe yay, i think with this husqvarna (my first one) I've gotten a bike that I'm gonna be forced to learn how to adjust myself!
  6. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Compared to some bikes the Huskys are easy. Loosen band clamps and twist carb - you should be able to figure it out. Just be careful not to loose the Oring, spring, and washer on the end of the fuel screw.

That video will come in handy when you want to change the jetting.

You can do it!
  7. mikebikeboy Husqvarna

cool, yeah i'm kinda excited, gotta get past my hand inside that bike!

hey, if your tired of nOOb questions, i understand...heheheh but do you have any idea where I can find a screw for the FCR MX41 carb?

I'm literally new to this side of motorcycling (Before I bought the sm610 I didn't know that I was actually getting into a whole new side of motorcycling.) Before this it's been Honda dirtbikes XL's, and my BMW K75 for touring, so this performance stuff is TOTALLY new to me.

thanks again,

mike
  8. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Might check around at the local stores for honda/yamaha type aftermarket fuel screws. "Keihin FCR" are the words to focus on. Maybe a 2005-2007 CRF450X? something like that. Just look around the show room and find a carb similar to yours and ask for a fuel screw for that bike. If you get one with a spring/oring/washer on the end that is even better - unless you have more steady hands than I do.

Or call motoexotica, halls, uptite, taskys type places...
  9. mikebikeboy Husqvarna

10. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
  11. mikebikeboy Husqvarna

just looked at the video again and have already learned a lot.

thanks man, appreciated!

gonna get one of those screws now and then change it out myself. not going to the mechanic anymore, gonna be the mechanic. thanks
  12. dukepilot Viva l'Husqvarna d'Italia!

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    450 SMR, TE250, CR125, SM610
    Other Motorcycles:
    Duc, Buell, Honda
    You can get a good fuel screw from here... http://www.stealthracingtech.com/catalog.htm

Also, you can adjust the fuel screw from the right side of the bike while the engine is running. Remove the brake fluid reservoir to gain access. It's a little tight, but it can be done.
  13. mikebikeboy Husqvarna

Thanks, I ended up getting the titanium screw, figured titanium would be the best because it's used on JETS

Curious why Coffee prefers the brass ones, since I asked the guy at Stealth Performance about those and he said they break a lot and ruin carburetors.

Is there some kind of niche for brass stuff or something?

thanks for all help,

mikebikeboy
  14. mikebikeboy Husqvarna

So I got the titanium fuel screw today and took the bike apart, installed it...it was pretty easy actually, took about an hour.

then put the bike back together, another 1/2 hour, and it started right up. bascially it just ran like it had run before...so I rode it around, playing with the new fuel screw and finally I hit a happy place where it seems to:

1) not pop overly much on decel.
    2) smooth delivery of power from lower RPM levels up to higher RPM levels.
    3) power is good, but not quite convinced it's performing at top level, however for now it's making me happy so that's all I care about for now.
    4) cruising spurts and tugs reduced to a minimum.

My bike: 2006 sm610 with full Leo Vince exhaust. No other mods known of.

Tomorrow we'll see how the settings I've set work when the bike is in the process of warming up, I'm sure it'll buck like a donkey again but whatever, next step is probably get a new spark plug and then new air filter.

Definitly IMPROVED A LOT THOUGH!

Oh, sorry I don't have any measurements to report, like amount the screw was twisted. You've just gotta feel it out for your self I think.

Thanks to all who've helped me!