2000 Sm610 S Power Increase By Swapping Only The Carb

Discussion in '610/630' started by Bogdan Lancor, Aug 28, 2021.

1. Bogdan Lancor Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2000 SM610S
    Hello all, thank you for having in the forums!

TL;DR: if I were to swap the carburettor (currently Mikuni, no clue on model) to a Keihin FCR MX41 without swapping the piston to the high compression one (as seen on the 2005+ models), would I be able to get some extra ponies?

Long version:
    I passed my A motorcycle license 2 months ago and decided to go with a SuMo as my first bike – mostly because I do soft-ish Enduro and dirt riding almost every weekend (the other option would've been to get a MT-07). After a ton of research and option–weighing I decided to go with the 610SM. While I could've gone to a different city and test a 2006 version, I decided to skip this as the drive would've been a tad too long (550 km / 340 mi, 7 hr drive to the other side of the country) and exhausting for just checking out a motorcycle I wouldn't known (back then) if I would like; so, I went with the (only) option I found in my city.

After reading all of the reviews, I was expecting a bit more... power?! As in, I was expecting power wheelies and a risk of high-sides if I didn't pay attention to my wrist, and the motorcycle is... well, tame... Don't get me wrong, my smile extends all the way to my ears while riding it, but I would like a bit more power. Not necessarily for all around SuMo hooliganism, as I'm a beginner, but having ridden more powerful bikes during the motorcycle school, I guess I'm a bit spoiled.

So my first question would be, if I were to swap a Keihin carb, without the high compression piston, would I see some noticeable HP gains? I'm basing this supposition on the info from this post

Second question – since I guess I'm after more torque, not necessarily more power, as I won't be doing much highway riding, if any (not like there are many highways to begin with in Romania), mostly commuting, maybe the occasional twisties in the mountains, would I be better off by just swapping the rear sprocket to a 48T?

Third question – were I to do the carb swap and get the HTM 100mm bore kit / piston (don't know the comp ratio), would I get an incresed performance, and would this be worth it? It would amount to about 1500€, (+ labor costs, maybe shipping? Not sure if the shipping would be free or not).

Thanks in advance!
  2. somesuch Husqvarna
    AA Class

I can only comment on the FCR41 carb conversion.....I did the conversion to my 2000 TE610E and it made the bike a lot more responsive. The bike is a lot more fun to ride, it does feel quicker. The huge bonus to this conversion is that the bike now starts easily hot or cold. I used the OCEMN needle in my FCR41, you have to heat the tank in the cable pull area of the carb, and shape it a bit to give the necessary clearance.

3. Bogdan Lancor Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2000 SM610S
    Hey, thanks for the answer, good to know this!