1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

1987 CR250 Rebuild

Discussion in 'Vintage Restoration Projects' started by chris squires, Jul 9, 2011.

1. chris squires Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1987 CR240 CR500 1988 WR430
    Jim, yep it is the original plastics. I first degreased them using domestic washing machine powder, this removed all the ingrained oil and grease marks. Then I used cutting compound mid grade, which is normally used to bring the lustre back to aged car paint work (think T-cut but a little coarser). After that I just used macquiers auto paint polish, which in itself, is just a very,very fine grade of cutting compound. This stage gave the plastic quite a bit of a shine! Finally I used acetone to remove any of the old sticker adhesive, just steal your wife's nail varnish remover, works like a charm! It took alot of scrubbing but the improvement was apparent with each stroke!!!

I am quite sure that my '86 linkage and swingarm are from a WR or XC as the the brake stay channel, on the right hand side (inner) of the swingarm has been ground down by a previous owner, to make way for the CR 250 'floating' brake plate and rear hub / wheel assy. The spherical bearing in the front of the 'Y' linkage where it bolts to the '87' frame has alot of play and when fully assembled and torqued to factory specs, along with the '86 shock, it does look misaligned and slightly twisted (as if not designed to be couple up). But it does fit without too much drama and it does work really well on a high preload as clearance is an issue with soft settings! No binding or interference issues.....

Thinking back to when I rebuilt the linkage and reinstalled it back on the frame. I connected the 'Y' link to the frame first, whilst the shock bottom eye was bolted between the two vertical links. These two links were also connected loosely to the swingarm at their top needle holes. This allowed for the frame and linkage to be tightened up first at the 'Y' linkage front. Then without connecting the shock's top eye to the bike, I greased up and slid in the swingarm at the frame pivot points. A bolt was pushed through the three parts (arm,frame &engine) and a nut turned loosely on the thread at opposite pivot point. This again felt slightly misaligned and was awkward. Then with gentle persuasion from nylon mallet, the shock fell forward into the frame recess and all was torqued up. In that order on a 900mm tall bench for support. Probably the wrong way round but it worked for me!!!

I remember why the ohlins shock was bolted to the linkage during this whole process! The linkage steel dust covers kept falling on to the floor due to the new o-rings that had now replaced the original seals. The o rings were just too fat! Without the shock being bolted in i couldnt stop this from happening, thats why I took this route of re assembly!!!

Chris
  2. husky jim Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    14 WR300, 87 430wr, 86 430ae, Tr650
    Cool, ya I'll try that out on some of my plastic, really just want her to look her best for some photos before I take it in to the forest and bounce it off few trees. Thanks
    chris squires likes this.
  3. dukkman Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    85/WR 400,86/WR 240,83/430 is mates
    Other Motorcycles:
    69@71/TS90-76/TS100-72/DKW-78/PE
    I have had time to recheck and this is how it goes in the American data books.
    Up to and including 1986.
    240cc = 68.75 bore with a 64.5 stroke
    250cc = 69.50 bore " " " 64.5 stroke.

In the 1987 /250 for some strange reason they went 66.5 bore with a 70.8 stroke.
    This should have made the engine rev SLOWER than the previous over square setups.
    Strange but true.
    The 87 is very different to the previous engines.

Ps. Now that you won't be needing that pipe [ long stroke motors rev slower] you could send it over here to me and I'll wack it on the 240.:p:p
    Should make her rev like a banshee.:D
  4. chris squires Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    I like your style:D

That pipe cost me too much to give up just yet!:eek: I think I paid £70 duty/taxes to HRH Queen Liz, just for the privilege of receiving goods from the US. The pipe really lets the bike roar and improves the bottom end, there is quite a saving on weight too. Get one you wont regret it! I am going to have one on the 500cc when funds allow!

Cheers

Chris
  5. husky jim Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Chris,
    I was just checking out HVA-Factory.com and seen some NOS power valve parts, thought you might be interested in.
    chris squires likes this.
  6. dukkman Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Chris I have just discovered another difference between the 87/250's and the earlier ones.
    The crankshaft flywheels are 3 or 4 mm bigger on the od [ probably because of the increased stroke ] and won't fit into the earlier cases unless you machine some out of the cases [ or off the outside of the flywheel if you're game :eek:]
  7. chris squires Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Hi Dukkman,

Thanks for the info! sounds like you are having fun. So have you actually clearanced the two earlier case halves? I would be interested to see where you have removed any material, if you have some images post up please!

I have just come accross this for sale on the net!

DSCN2467.jpg

Turns out to be a NOS 1987 HVA power valve solenoid! rare as hens teeth:eek:

I just need some WP front forks now and the CR 240 will be in its original guise, well nearly!

Chris
  8. dukkman Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Hi Chris.
    No photos as the motor should be together by now [ at mates place and he's doing the assembly ].
    I'll go over this arvo and check as he's a bit slack. Will see if I can get a photo.

Mate got this motor in bits with a 86 WR240 he had bought , we were told it was a 240.
    We noticed that the case inner lip [ just outside the flywheel ] on this motor was thin compared with a 240 and were wondering why.
    The right case was knackered so he bought a new second hand one from the US and when he went to assemble the motor found that the flywheels wouldn't fit.
    Came to me crying and said " that's it , I've had enough ".
    I told him that he was a Dickhed and wacked it in the mill , machined a couple of mill out and now it looks like the other one.
    This motor has a funny engine number with a 2212 prefix.
    I have not been able to find this number anywhere and we are keen to see how it runs with the longer stroke.
    Cheers Mike
  9. chris squires Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    LOL

" that's it , I've had enough " Been there got the Tshirt Remember when I said my bike blew and we took of the top end to find a 65.44 piston? Well the only piston I could source was a wossner 67.44 (this was on the advice of the guy doing the rebuild). Anyways, when this guy sent the cylinder away to be rebored, the engineer at the other end refused to do the work!!! He said the sleeve / liner would be too thin around the exhaust port after the work, and he wasn't going to touch it. The cylinder was then sent on to yet another engineer, to carryout the work He said the second guy was worrying about nothing, but I'm not convinced...

The cylinder has been rebored, all ports chamfered for minimal ring friction and the sleeve honed for the wossner piston's OD.

Just to top all this off! the other day I found husky '87 66.44mm factory piston for sale!:doh: Should have waited.

Cheers Chris
  10. dukkman Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Machined some out of the inside to fit the flywheels in.:D
    The machined bit has been painted. [ I don't know what sort of paint , I didn't ask ]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
  11. auto Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    too many
    I have a 87 top end I would sell if your interested
  12. chris squires Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Mike,

Thanks for the photos! Its a good job, that you have the machining skills, to make the cases fit! Top job:thumbsup: And a good reference for others caught out by clearance issues.

Chris
  13. chris squires Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Auto,

PM sent

Chris
  14. dirtaddict23 Husqvarna
    AA Class

15. chris squires Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
  16. joshua young Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1987 cr250
    I am new to the forum,i have a 250cr as well needs minor work. I have trouble with the left crank case for the kick starter.. so im just wondering how parts are to get for these things.. i have had this bike since 1990..i am looking foward to rebuilding this bike if parts can be gotten thanks for the help in advanced.. -Joshua
  17. husky jim Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Yes, there is still some parts out there.
    How about posting some pics for us in Vintage Left Kickers / Post up pictures of your vintage Husqvarnas

www.huskydogg.com
    www.hva-factory.com
    www.husqvarna-parts.com
    www.halls-cycles.com
    Ebay
  18. chris squires Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Hi Joshua,

As Jims says, parts are available. Lots of NOS stuff in the US when you approach the right people. In Europe its a different story most of these bikes are really tired and battered after 20 or so years in a cold and wet climate, so parts in good condition can be hard to find.
    I have sourced parts from Texas USA, BC Canada (thanks Northern Husky) and Southern France for my CR. Its seems ebay.fr and ebay.de have alot of HVA stuff being traded. I think the Germans like the quality engineering of the real Swedish bikes.
    (http://www.husqvarna-forum.de/viewforum.php?f=24&sid=651fb4ba384d6ac33b5d46b4218df379). I use google translator to understand copy/paste etc.

Andy Elliot at HVA- Factory is a really pleasant fella, helpfull and does not mind sharing his knowledge of all things Husky! HVA has been invaluable to my rebuild.

Dan Axelsson in Sweden has some good NOS stock - http://husqvarnaclassicparts.se/

Rolf Bernhardson at http://husqvarnaclassicparts.se/

http://www.dirtypart.com/default_search.asp?brand=Husqvarna

http://www.hvapieces.com/

http://www.cross-center.com/Katalog/2011/8._2012_Brake_Discs.pdf

http://www.cross-center.com/Katalog/2011/4. 2011 Air Filter & Accessories.pdf

http://www.cross-center.com/Katalog/2011/10._2012_Spokes.pdf

It's out there

Clutch friction discs? look here under 1990 TE 350....http://www.surflexclutches.com/Surflexclutches.com/European_files/Husaberg-Husqvarna.pdf

www.blocket.se
    www.tradera.se

Good luck with the rebuild and have fun!

Chris
  19. 2premo Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    98 WR360, 1987 WR430, 1988 XC430
    Other Motorcycles:
    Sherco 300, 2002 KTM 380EXC
    interesting model as they were not a big seller
    I hear the production was something like 350 units
    I have one with the original rear tire and runs great
    I guess probably about 70 to 80 hours
    but really don't know, I have had it for 12 year and ridden it a handful of times
    it is a blast to ride IMG_1402.JPG IMG_1387.JPG
    not sure how it was originaly ridden

Attached Files:

20. chris squires Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Nice bike, probably one of the best examples of the 1987 CR250 i have seen! Really original!
    Yeah I agree the CR is a great bike to ride, a real animal, quite a lot of grunt. But it is all or nothing, if you dip under the power band there is quite a lot of bog down, which makes for frantic rifling of 2nd and 3rd gears.
    Mine lacks the powervalve, is yours still there and working? I like the model so much I brought 1987 CR500 to add to the collection:thumbsup: NOW THAT BIKE IS A BEAST!!!