1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

1986 XC 400 I think

Discussion in 'Vintage Restoration Projects' started by Joe Husky, Nov 25, 2014.

1. jimspac Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR, 82 430WR, 84 250WR, 85 400
    Other Motorcycles:
    86 400WR, 82 Montesa Cota 349
    The CT110 was not available in the 60's as we had a 1969 CT90 with the 4 speed hi/lo gearbox. I am currently working on a Lifan type system to repair the SEMs I have. I have 2 CDIs and 2 coils to start with and the wiring diagram that was on this forum.
  2. Joe Husky Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1986 XC 400
    That is fantastic. I never woulda thunk it. Thanks Dukkman!! Happy trails
  3. jimspac Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Dukkman,

What did you use for a plug on the 5 pin CDI? I have not had much luck finding any through the usual sources around here.
  4. dukkman Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    85/WR 400,86/WR 240,83/430 is mates
    Other Motorcycles:
    69@71/TS90-76/TS100-72/DKW-78/PE
    Took me a while to track one down and I'm sorry but I don't know what it was off.
    Came out of a music/electronic shop.
    Shop expert said that they only had 6 pin plugs and I said " I suppose I'll have to try and use one of them ":banghead:
    You can buy a pit bike wiring harness which is an expensive way of doing it but you end up with a bunch of pretty colored wire.
  5. Joe Husky Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1986 XC 400
    I got the parts for the five post unit but can't get it to work. Not too sure where to put the other wire from the coil? My sem stator has red and black and green, but I think you mean that the green is the one with the orange tape on it?

Could be my generator isn't putting out any juice. Does anyone know how to check that sem stator with a meter and what readings to look for?
  6. jimspac Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yes I was just doing that last night. Use an ohm meter to check these wires Black = Ground, Red = Charge, Green = Excitor. Yellow = 2 wires 70 watts each.

Check between red and black 1k setting. 1.7with ground on black, pos on red Reverse leads and reading should be 1.4. If readings are identical then there is a fault in the charge circuit

Did you buy the matching coil for the CDI unit? I bought the 5 pin and a coil that was listed for the series the CDI is for. I have not had time to test yet. Just testing viability of the SEMs I have on hand now.

Also make sure you are referencing the correct photo Dukkman had posted a correction to the wiring diagram info
  7. Joe Husky Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1986 XC 400
    Well... I fixed the kickstarter quite nicely. Then I checked the stator output with a volt meter and it seems ok. I still think the black sem cdi/coil seems to be the problem. Sometimes it sparks and the motor fires right up. Then it dies and there's no spark. Leave it til the next day it does the same thing!!! Any body else have a coil do this?

So I tried the chinese coil and cdi. Yes they came together in the package. But can't get it to spark at all. So I checked the coil with the ohm meter and both of the wires off of it seem to be connected to ground. So I guess it's faulty...

So I figure I'll pull the coil off my kids CT70 and see if I can get some spark out of that on the husky. But you can't get the coil out of it without pulling the motor. Any more bright ideas will be much appreciated.:cheers:
  8. Joe Husky Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1986 XC 400

Well... I fixed the kickstarter quite nicely. Then I checked the stator output with a volt meter and it seems ok. I still think the black sem cdi/coil seems to be the problem. Sometimes it sparks and the motor fires right up. Then it dies and there's no spark. Leave it til the next day it does the same thing!!! Any body else have a coil do this?

So I tried the chinese coil and cdi. Yes they came together in the package. But can't get it to spark at all. So I checked the coil with the ohm meter and both of the wires off of it seem to be connected to ground. So I guess it's faulty...

So I figure I'll pull the coil off my kids CT70 and see if I can get some spark out of that on the husky. But you can't get the coil out of it without pulling the motor. Any more bright ideas will be much appreciated.:cheers:
  9. jimspac Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    You need to check the wires off the stator not the coil. The only way to test the SEM coil is in the bike with a working stator. Check the stator wires for resistance ohms, not voltage
  10. dukkman Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Any coil will do [ but not with a cdi built in as per husky ], I only said Lifan because it's easy to get.
    Ct coil will work but the CT CDI has a rev limiter built in [ apparently ].
  11. dukkman Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Finally bit the bullet and pulled the tank of my 240 to check the wiring.
    This setup has been working for the last 5 years with no problems on both my 86/WR240 and 85/WR400.
    I used to carry a spare cdi but never used it.
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    Being color blind is a bit of a problem so I got a second opinion and this is what I've got.
    My chinese coil has two wires , a black/yellow and a green.
    The black/yellow is connected to the cdi and the green to earth somewhere.
    [IMG]
    oldbikedude likes this.
  12. Joe Husky Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1986 XC 400
    Here's what I got so far. I know it's not as sweet as Steve's... yet. Running perfectly! Tried a Lifan coil, no dice. Tried a sem coil, still nothing. Pulled the flywheel and the magnets were shot. Couldn't find an sem flywheel but eventually found one at Husky Dogg with the stator too. Now I'm good to burn. 007.JPG
    oldbikedude and 86 400 XC like this.
  13. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    84 250,86 400,87 430,88 250,95 360
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
    bike doesnt look too bad, you should make a new thread for it
  14. troy deck Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    87 250wr 12 cr125
    Other Motorcycles:
    kx65 ty80 rm80 kdx250
    DUCT TAPE GRAFFIXS HOW COOL IS THAT:busted:
  15. oldbikedude Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1988 wr 430 with cr suspension
    Other Motorcycles:
    66flh,67 CA77,76 CR125M,73H1,74ty250
    Looks like a solid bike. I like it. Number plate backgrounds & graphics will go a long way. :thumbsup:
  16. racemx904 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 Beta 350RR & 1986 430XC
    Other Motorcycles:
    1975 Rokon and 2004 Kawasaki KX65
    love the bike.... my brother has a 85' 250xc and I have a 86 430xc

Mine has the Factory Husky Niles Ussery frame, 500xc radiators, obviously 430 engine in 86' chassis, flex bars, 88 CR430 forks and wide pegs

RB 500.jpg
    oldbikedude likes this.
  17. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    84 250,86 400,87 430,88 250,95 360
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
    whats different with niles ussery frame? some mods?
  18. racemx904 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 Beta 350RR & 1986 430XC
    Other Motorcycles:
    1975 Rokon and 2004 Kawasaki KX65
    Rear frame loop, pipe mounts are different, gussets under tank, welded in skidplate
  19. Joe Husky Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1986 XC 400
    I've been looking at tank cover decals but the perforated ones look strange. I think. The after market plastic kits look too glossy and not authentic. To me. I don't think it would look good if I patched it up that way.
  20. Joe Husky Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1986 XC 400
    Okay, so I took it for it's first ride on the weekend. Runs perfectly and the stripes my kid put on it didn't even come off! Now I'm gonna strip it down again and take the next steps in restoring it.

Is there anyone who can tell me how to restore rims and spokes? Swingarms?