1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

1984 Steering Head Angle

Discussion in 'Vintage/Left Kickers' started by 1982 XC 430, Jan 21, 2013.

1. 1982 XC 430 Husqvarna
    AA Class

I'm kinda planing out my next Husqvarna build, and before I get started is there an easy way to figure out my Steering Head Angle? So the way I understand it the 84 frame has a steeper head Angle than the previous years. The Frame I have and intend to use is a 84 WR. Since the WR's seem to get put on the back burner and get the left over parts from the previous year what's to say that they didn't use a 83 Frame when they built my 84 Frame that I have ? Other than setting the Frame Leval and figuring out the Angles is there an easy way to look at it and see?
  2. Ron Husqvarna
    AA Class

If you have the two frames side by side, you could check them with an angle finder against the steering head.

Husqvarna was notorious for using up existing parts after changes were made. CR's usually got the new stuff first. It's quite possible you could have a year end 83 frame in an early 84.

I did the same thing when I switched an 83 250XC frame with an 84 250WR frame, thinking i would have the 28 degree steering angle. Truthfully can't tell the difference.

I never measured or recorded any dimensions side by side (just assumed an 84 would be 28 degrees), so I couldn't verify any changes.

All that said, the 83 is still a good handling bike. Stable as a cruise missle.

[IMG]
  3. 1982 XC 430 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Thats a nice looking Bike! Is the Cylinder - Head an 82 or did You just Media Blast the paint off. I intend to build a 82 works wana be Bike. 84 Frame painted Silver, 84 WR air cooled Cylinder with the factory porting specs, ITC shocks but with Gold piggy backs, CR Trans, 18" Rear Wheel and CR suspension travel, 82 Plastic and Clarke tank, and a Cone Pipe. I all ready have most of the Parts, the Cone pipe for a 84 might be an issue I havn't looked into that, If not I'm threating to build my own. I saw a picture of a works bike like the decription, I think it was on this sight and when I saw it I said, hey I could build that, I have most of the Parts.
  4. Ron Husqvarna
    AA Class

It's 100% 83 250XC except the 84 frame (bike has the 83 swingarm) and the original the seat cover was yellow.

Yes, I bead blasted the barrel and head, I like the look.

I think I have the 84 250WR pipe if that could help you? I've already sold or used the rest of the 84 250WR donor bike.

I have a 79 390cr I built for my son. I used the 84 forks on that bike. I also have a 77 250CR that I ride.

I bought the 83 250XC in 1985 and raced desert on it for several years. Tossed it in the shed around 91/92.

I gave the 83 250XC to a good friend and helped him restore it. Nothing like spending someone else's money! LOL

He recently got transfered out of state and sold it. I hated to see it go, but I have to many bikes already.

[IMG]

[IMG]
    adam6402 likes this.
  5. suprize Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR 400, bike in a box Moto Villa 350
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm 300
    Yep, i have some thoughts on head angle, im considering a 125 project with an 83 frame and a 79 or 80 motor which i am told is the same all the way through to 83. I would like the later frme angle as 125's should steer
  6. Kartwheel68 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 125XC, 250XC, 430XC, 430WR, 250CR
    Other Motorcycles:
    83 175WR , 76 250WR, 74 250 Mag
    I've ridden an '83 and '84 back to back and I couldnt tell any difference. I've always thought the '81-'82s turn great though, I think its a matter of having the rear suspension spring rate just right.

The 125 is a whole 'nother can of worms. If you build an '84 chassis with a '79-'81 engine ('82-'83 is different) what you will end up with is a 230lb bike with a slower engine than all its competition.
  7. Joe Chod Husqvarna
    Pro Class

dont forget there are 84 WC frames and 84 AC frames. downtube wishbone and single tube. Coresponds with WC center exhaust and AC side exhuast. Not interchangable
  8. ruwfo Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1980 390CR, 1982 430CR, 1984 400WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    1985 250XC, 2016 FJ-09
    As shown in this XC frame picture the 84 have the steering head tucked in to 28 degree compared to the 30.5 of the 1979-83 bikes. But watch some 84 bikes were really 83 leftover so the they still use the older frame. It always helps to look up the frame serial number to be sure. And of course as Joe bought up there's aircooled & water cooled frames as well.
    Husky John

Attached Files:

9. suprize Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm 300
    onto the a/c w/c all right, and understand its a slow motor in a 500 frame but just love the look of that squirty little motor with all that suspension:thumbsup:
  10. Joe Chod Husqvarna
    Pro Class

125 ACmotors of the 80s are getting real rare in the states and the 83 125 pipe was a one off year and is real tough to find. (up and over like its big brothers)
  11. Kartwheel68 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    I'm not sure how the classes work outside the US, but here we break them up '75-'77, '78-'82 (roughly), '83-'up (roughly). I think the most competitive class for a Husky air cooled bike is '75-'77, which is limited to 9" suspension travel. If you wanted to ride '78-'82 I think the best chassis is the later ML with some 40mm forks instead of the '80-'83 frames. The later ML frame has a 28deg steering angle and can be set up with 11-12" travel, and guessing I bet its a little lighter.

Even in '77 when the 2040 125 engine first came out it was not competitive, and every year it got less competitive against the Japanese. Husky went to the "big reed" cylinder in '82 and it made almost competitive power, for about 278rpm from 11,722 to 12,000 rpm, below that it made nothing. Even with the 175 kit and 50cc more displacement, it actually becomes ridable, but its still not as fast as a Japanese 125. I dont want to sound negative, some of you know I love these Husky 125s, I've got four of them now, but I have to be honest about how uncompetitive they are.
    Picklito likes this.
  12. 1982 XC 430 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Here in the Pacific North West we have an Evolution Class that is generaly a 1977- to 1981. However there are some exceptions and The Bike I would like to build would be one of the very few 84's that would should make it in. The Bike must have Air Cooling, Drum Brakes, and no Linkgage Suspension. I don't think the rules are all that tight untill somebody starts wining all the time and people complain that he's riding a cheater bike. After all its all about haveing fun anyway. Once built I don't think I will have to worrie about wining every weekend no matter what bike I'm on, but haveing fun building it and riding it yes.
  13. Kartwheel68 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    That bike would be legal for AHRMAs GP class, its basically drum brake, air cooled, non-linkage, the year does not really matter even though they do put rough cutoff years in there. I've kicked around the idea of building a Grossi/Bigelow '82 with an '83 frame replica too, but I'm not sure its worth the effort purely on a performance standpoint. I admittedly dont have a lot of time on an '83-'84, but I actually prefer the '81-'82.
  14. 1982 XC 430 Husqvarna
    AA Class

That was one of the selling points to this project bike was that the WR Pipe was in near perfect condition. One shallow dent looks like somebody leaned the bike up along a Tree. Still had the original Tires on it, the plastic chain gaurd, but from there it went down hill, somebody stole the Carb and Airbox, Motor was a little stiff so I opened it up and the Main cases were Gut Rot. I have since aquired a couple of Cases, one with a CR trans. A CR Swingarm and Shocks, I have some XC Forks from another project.
  15. suprize Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm 300
    class and power means nothing in vinduro over here, the class is very simple. Pre 85 is the only prerequisite. its not competitive. Teh Viper VMX is, its motox nd dirt track for pre 90 in various classes. but im interested in vinduro only which is riding old dungers for 4 hours then drinking and telling lies bout how good we used to be!

having a different bike is part of the fun.
  16. Kartwheel68 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ah! Thats sounds fun, and in that case a Husky 125 will definitely be different. Even in our vintage enduro events they are competition events, but when we are done we also drink and tell lies. :)
    adam6402 and Bill502 like this.
  17. suprize Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm 300
    Its basically designed to keep people enjoying the days rather than have them all conk out on the first hill and go home demoralised and chuck the bike back in the shed.

people ride ag bikes through to triumph twins, old ts Suzuki's and lots of PE's XR's and IT's. saw a nice 175 husky (78 i think) and a Hercules. 1 guy has turned up with his 79 ktm (would be a "penton" over there) that he brought new and still has. A mate of mine has dragged his Moto Villa 350 out and is recoing it for this years rides. He hasnt ridden since the 1980's.

a few old twin shock maicos are appearing and a couple of Hodakas.

So people are seeing value in spending a couple of grand on these older bikes now which is great.

There will be a couple of hundred bikes at the Harrow ride this year as its getting a few starters from overseas.

check out the Castella Vinduro vids on utube for a look at some of the bikes. Walkabout mick has some nice clips and pics
  18. Kartwheel68 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yes, I've seen those vids, I like them! Our enduro events are ISDT style, usually 15-25 mile loops and one "terrain test" per loop, usualy 2-3 miles. The only racing is the short test section, the rest of the event is a trail ride like the riding in those videos.
  19. suprize Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm 300
    excelent. some of the clubs are now adding vinduro classes to their competitive classes for those that wish to race ....
  20. jimspac Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR, 82 430WR, 84 250WR, 85 400
    Other Motorcycles:
    86 400WR, 82 Montesa Cota 349
    I wish we had more events like that here in New England in the US. We have to ride the regular NETRA enduro series with the modern bikes. This year we have the ISDTRR 40th anniversary of the 48th ISDT held in our beloved Berkshires.