1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

1984 500CR project

Discussion in 'Vintage Restoration Projects' started by ruwfo, Dec 16, 2009.

1. ruwfo Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1980 390CR, 1982 430CR, 1984 400WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    1985 250XC, 2016 FJ-09
    Ok, with all the other Husky projects being posted i thought i'd show
    what i've been working on.

In 3/09 i traded a 1982 250WR Husky Project bike (junk) for a 1984
    500CR from a young kid in PA. who was scared of it. The bike needed jetting work, but ran at least that's what i was told.

Any way it had more potential then the 82 250 i had bought as a parts bike for $125, & got running with min work.

So started my next project, i was already in the middle of restro on my
    buddys 73 125WR & had bought a 86 510 for a $100 (soon to be a money pit). So i really already had more work than i needed, luckly my race Huskys were all pretty much all in tip top shape.

So as you can see the 500 wasn't in too bad of shape, had a title, sort
    of ran, but smoked like a coal locomotive.

Here's how she looked when i got it & the bike i traded for it. View attachment 2975

John

Attached Files:

2. ruwfo Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    1985 250XC, 2016 FJ-09
    got it running but not for long

1st came taking pictures (before) & cleaning the bike up .

As saw the intake boot was gooped over & of course there was no air filter & it had a car spark plug in it.

Bike ran but barely- it was running way too rich. I soon discovered the original carb was replaced some time in it's life with a flat slide 38mm (40mm is stock).
    I felt rather than reinvent the wheel, i went back to stock settings, with a used 40mm carb. Lucky i was still able to find a new 40mm airbox to carb rubber boot & intake boot (reed block).

After taking the carb off a 1000 times,& learning more about jetting then i every wanted to know, i got the bike to running correctly.

But of course the story took a terrible turn ,soon after i made a few other runs to sort out the jetting. Right before that ting sound of a stuck ring :eek: the motor ran awesome- 4th gear power wheelies :D
    the fastest Husky i've every rode.

Attached Files:

3. HuskyT Moderator

Nice to see another project in here John

I'm still trying to figure out the mile long silencer on that 250 in the first Pic:eek::eek::eek:

T
  4. Picklito Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    430, 430, 430, ,400, 175
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM250xc, KTM500mx, KTM440exc
    ... and the single shock rear on the 81 frame?
  5. Hwy Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '86 510TX / '90 250WXE / '87 510TE
    Other Motorcycles:
    '04 KTM 525MXC / '91 KTM 300DXC
    and a early 90's swingarm sticker.
  6. ruwfo Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    1985 250XC, 2016 FJ-09
    the Frankenstein bike

Yeah, that 250, was really something, i bought it as a parts bike,for the gas tank & forks only,what a Frankenstein bike. Actually T, that's an original Husky silencer 79 or 80 WR with the extra long spark
    arrester.

The rear suspension, was unique for sure,i believe it was off a 90's Husky,someone welded up a upper shock mount to the frame. Actually believe it or not it worked very well, i have to give the guy partial credit for trying to modernize his old bike.

As luck? would have it i decided to see if it had spark (which it did) & with a hour worth of fiddling i got it running. The darn thing ran really good to, so i just couldn't pull apart a running Husky.

The bike still had it's original twin shock mounts so if figured i'd put it aside til time permitted a full rebuild, til i saw the craiglist ad for the 500.

I still shake my head when i think someone would trade a 500 for a 250, but plot thickens, as of course you know it would.
  7. ruwfo Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    1985 250XC, 2016 FJ-09
    i found a picture of the rear suspension

Here's a pic of Frankenstein's suspension, i also learned that a water cooled left side cover can be made to work on a air cooled motor. Check out the water pump blockoff cover. And yes someone painted over the original gas tank with flat black paint :doh:

Attached Files:

8. schimmelaw Husqvarna
    AA Class

Good trade. Whats the plan for the 500?
  9. ruwfo Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    1985 250XC, 2016 FJ-09
    Restoration is progressing

Ok, so after hearing that dreaded sound of a ring dragging, i knew someone hadn't told me the whole story about the insides of the this 500's motor.
    You see i was told that it had just been freshly bored by some Husky guy in Ohio, i mentioned Rick Horvat & he said yeah that's the guy.

Well that was a partial B.S. story, yeah he had call Rick and got a piston, but he also he dropped the cylinder & broke off part of the front lower skirt off the cylinder liner soon after.

Rick told me 6 months later, he said, hey sent the cylinder to me and i'll exchange it for another & credit you the piston cost. Well mister 18 year old dumb head decides that skirt not important & puts the top end back on & runs the bike. Lucky for me he never got it running too long, so there wasn't any more damage then a snagged ring & the already broken liner.

As i already mentioned in another post Rick has a cylinder exchange program, you basically send him
    your old stuff & he ships back a freshly bore / new pistoned jug ready to drop on with gaskets!

So out came the motor, we checked the lower end bearings for play, rod too, crank seals, all in great shape, thank god.

Here's a few things i learned along the way or at very least i already knew & put that knowledge to use.
    1) Never trust what anyone says, when it comes to 2 stroke top ends, pull it off & check it
    yourself , even if it's a good running motor.
    2) The Husky 500 has it's own special throttle cable, others model ones look like they'd work, but they
    don't let the slide drop all the way down. Get a new 500 cable so your not launching your bike down
    the road at warp speed.
    3) Like most big bore bike, they can sometimes be bear to kick start, always were MX boots, just for that
    once in a hundred time it kick backs & whacks the front of your leg.
    4) Make sure your kill switch works & your brakes work properly, there's nothing like screaming up
    the road on the rear wheel, & finding out one or all don't work correctly.
    5) The 500 unlike the 430 (which i also own-82CR) will hurt you, it's a cruise missile. Nothing will put
    either a big grin or terror in your eye quicker than a 500 or larger 2 stroke.
  10. ruwfo Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    1985 250XC, 2016 FJ-09
    Repainting the frame & basic clean up

While the motor was out ,i repainted the frame, disassemblied the
    wheels,swingarm etc & cleaned & regreased everything.

Of course i'm still in the middle of 2 other bike projects so sometimes
    progress is painfully slow.

Attached Files:

11. ruwfo Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    1985 250XC, 2016 FJ-09
    Motor back in, carb/airbox & cables back on & adjusted. Shock springs repainted too.

Attached Files:

12. ruwfo Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    1985 250XC, 2016 FJ-09
    it's getting there

I sanded down the tank & side panels (different ones off ebay) with grade 3 Steel wool, reinstalled along with the repainted pipe & cleaned the silencer with steel wool too.

John

Attached Files:

13. Picklito Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    430, 430, 430, ,400, 175
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM250xc, KTM500mx, KTM440exc
    Lookin' GOOD! And the 84 frame handles SO nice. You're gonna love it.
  14. Long Range Husqvarna
    B Class

ruwfo,

I really like those last two pictures of your 84, the ones without the side panels. It looks like it is 80% engine and 20% other stuff (like wheels, seat, etc), and it will do 130 mph.

After a few rides, you will need to buy new jerseys with longer sleeves!

Gary
  15. Husky37 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    84 CR500, 85 CR500, 89 TE 610
    Hi Ruwfo,

I'm feeling a bit jealous..... I had an '84 500 and even won a couple of races on it too.... would love to get another one.

Really looking forward to the progress.

Stu
  16. Michel Dufayard Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Hello Ruwfo
    Can you put a picture of the attachement ( plug ? ) of the monoshock
    of this bike to see how it is fixed ?
    Thanks
    Michel
  17. ruwfo Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    1985 250XC, 2016 FJ-09
    Frankenstein's suspension

Michel,
    If you'd like more pictures of the Frankenstein bike's suspension, i can't , i don't have it any more, i traded it for the 84 500CR.

But what i can tell you is, it was a simple bracket welded to the frame
    for the top mount.

John
  18. ruwfo Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    1985 250XC, 2016 FJ-09
    1 step closer to complete

Sporting new rear fender,self made numberplate decals, few more odds
    & ends.

15 degrees F w/o the wind yesterday :censored:, so til it gets a little warmer,the new grips,race numbers,along with final jetting, have to wait.

Attached Files:

19. Husky37 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    84 CR500, 85 CR500, 89 TE 610
    I'm having trouble with coping with 30 F (-1 C - Has been down to -9 overnight) so I have complete empathy with you.

Not got the courage yet to bring bits into the house to do stuff :) I know 'Pass the Cheese'

Going to try out Krylon paint. First the Rad shouds and if I like the finish then the Tank.... (waiting for the sealer to arrive... takes about 2 weeks before I can paint)

Stu
  20. Abelma Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    CR500 1983
    Hello
    Congratulations for the renovation
    I am close to buy the same bike model.
    Did you had problems finding parts ? Where to found parts for this one?
    Thanks