1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

1983 XC250 Clutch Issue - Need Advice

Discussion in 'Vintage/Left Kickers' started by dnietsche, Jul 29, 2020.

1. dnietsche Husqvarna
    AA Class

I am putting together a new clutch and am running into an issue.

I noticed when I moved the lever on the case the plunger moves but it does not move out the pressure plate, which I assume would release the pressure on the disks. It is almost like the plunger is not the correct length. I did adjust the clutch to 8mm of free play.

Any help would be fantastic!

Thanks
  2. visiteur1948 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    husqvarna only
    boite 250 430 wr 82.jpg

this model ???
  3. motomwo Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Many vintage big bore and automatics
    What year/model/size motor are you working on? What is the length of the clutch push rod you have?

Marty
  4. dnietsche Husqvarna
    AA Class

The bike is a 1983 XC250.

The push rod is 18.7cm.

See the fiber disks are below the fingers on the basket? Is that correct?

And then the YouTube link will show everyone what is happening. The clicking in the background is me working the actuating lever for the clutch. You can see the push rod moving but the pressure plate is not. I know the springs are out...it does the same with the springs in it.

Attached Files:

5. Picklito Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    430, 430, 430, ,400, 175
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM250xc, KTM500mx, KTM440exc
    1. Some of the pressure plates are indexed (clocked) and must be right to sit down over both the clutch spring posts AND the inner hub splines. Make sure your pressure plate is solidly resting on the top fiber to be sure. If it's being held up, fix that first.

2. Not sure how you adjusted "8mm of free play" before you got the clutch assembled, but I'm noticing that your adjusting screw in the throw-out bearing is screwed way out. Most of mine are right about flush with the lock nut when correctly adjusted. Try that.

3. Your total clutch stack looks a little tall to me. Hard to tell in the photos, though. The top fiber plate is below the end of the basket fingers (good), but the PP looks to be right at the top edge of same fingers (bad). The O.D. of the PP must be inside the fingers, and must remain inside at full disengagement... it should not "lift up" above the fingers.
  6. fran...k. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    420ae 98wr125 2004wr250 others
    Other Motorcycles:
    electric freeride 1993 yam gts
    Pull the piece that the cable turns out of the case and inspect. It has a half round (more complex later years) hard faced surface that pushes on the rod that goes across the engine. That half round can go bad and the bore in the magnesium (no bearings or bushings in this era) as well.
  7. DeathFromAbove My Cat Says AREAR!

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    70,71 360 8s 72,74 450 73 360 73 250
    Other Motorcycles:
    66 Triumph Trophy 99 ZRX1100
    Your missing the nut on the back of the adjuster on the plate? That adjuster screw and locking nut should be attached to the plate.
    I may be incorrect but let me check.
    Looking like the threads in the plate are stripped out?
    That is moving more than it has to.
    Looks like your push rod bearing is not touching the back of the plate.
    So rod is short. Does the rod go through 22, 23, 24? Sorry for the multi advice !! Chris
  8. dnietsche Husqvarna
    AA Class

That makes sense. I will confirm.
  9. dnietsche Husqvarna
    AA Class

Yes, it seems to be in good shape. There is a slight dimple, barely noticeable with my fingernail. The part does not have any side to side play and the bushing/seal is new.
  10. dnietsche Husqvarna
    AA Class

Yes it does. The rod goes into the throwoout bearing/adjustment assembly. I think it is correct because the rod has wear markings on it.
  11. motomwo Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Many vintage big bore and automatics
    Your push rod is the correct length. Your adjustment set screw is to far out in the video, re-adjust it. You may have the incorrect cam. I think in 87 Husky changed the cam profile and used a longer pushrod. Someone may have installed the later design cam.

Marty