1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

1983 Husky 430WR Resto NETRA Hare Scrambles

Discussion in 'Vintage Restoration Projects' started by MikeDi, Sep 30, 2016.

1. MikeDi Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1983 WR 430
    Other Motorcycles:
    Stuck in the 80's vintage
    Well, only thing left to buy is plastics. I have two sets of DC's for my Yamaha's so I know that product. What else is out there? Any suggestions that are reasonably priced?
  2. disonny Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    73 360 wr/rt, 75 wr250 78 cr250,
    Other Motorcycles:
    83 wr250, 84 wr400
    I need side panels and rad shrouds. I've only found DC stuff. Be interested to see whats out there too.
  3. Joe Chod Husqvarna
    Pro Class

dc only for 84 panels and shhrouds. there are nice 83 panels from phil
    MikeDi likes this.
  4. MikeDi Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1983 WR 430
    Other Motorcycles:
    Unavailable
  5. Husky-Nut Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1983 WR250, 2020 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    1931 Indian 101 Scout, 1936 Chief
  6. Joe Chod Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Those are DC
  7. jimspac Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR, 82 430WR, 84 250WR, 85 400
    Other Motorcycles:
    86 400WR, 82 Montesa Cota 349
    I was about to say that, DC Plastics actually carries the HVA clutch covers and a few other tidbits. One time when I asked DC Plastics a question about the bulbs needed for the Husky headlight shroud I was looking into , I asked them to carry more HVA products to save us in the states the costs of shipping and in turn both DC and HVA would get more business. Phillip would commit to the molding runs if the demand would at least support the minimum run at the injection mold outfit he uses
  8. MikeDi Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1983 WR 430
    Other Motorcycles:
    I've used DC for my other bikes pretty often. They have a nice selection of products. I'm not so fussy about having OEM type plastics. I'm going to ride this bike probably just a few races per year and maybe do some sweep riding on it after our club rides. Having a unique bike is pretty cool in a sea of orange these days.
  9. MikeDi Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1983 WR 430
    Other Motorcycles:
    So when I bought this bike, it came with an original Title. I tracked down the original owner who is retired in Florida. He bought the bike new in 83 and rode Enduro's and Turkey runs until 2001. The bike sat in a garage from 2001 until sold to a friend of mine. I have to say, this bike had very little maintenance over it's running life. The owner and I have been in contact through FB and I'm keeping him updated on the Resto progress. He's digging the fact that his old steed is getting some love. The fork oil I don't think ever was changed as well as the rear shocks. Just goes to show that they don't make em like they use to. Anyway, it makes the resto even better knowing I can get this bike registered also. It's value will certainly be much higher with a title.
  10. Eurofreak Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1986 TE 510, 1982 CR250, 2008 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    70's Triumph , Bultaco , Maico, etc
    A title-that's great. The fork oil must have been pretty raunchy.
    All dirt bikes looked pretty once.
    I couldn't agree more.
    Very disappointed about KTM buying Husky and turning the brand into a clone.
  11. MikeDi Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1983 WR 430
    Other Motorcycles:
    I dumped out the oil, or what was left of it in LIQUID form, filled it with Kerosene and let it sit. There was about 1/2 inch of black mud in the bottom of the fork. If they weren't so simple, i don think the would have functioned at all.
    Again, you could probably run french fry oil in the forks, gearbox, premix and it would still run for 20 years.
    I'm good with KTM buying Husky, but as a consumer it wouldn't hurt to have some variety. I was at my local shop yesterday and told the owner that I'll never pay $10 grand for a dirt bike! EVER! He kind of turned white. I'v rather build 5 of my own unique Sh!$ boxes than pay that kind of money.
    rwgregory, Eurofreak and justintendo like this.
  12. Bigbill Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '83 250wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    0 right now
    I had problems with new bikes. I always end up back to my left kickers. Even a new husaberg was a problem too the mechanic who stripped the bike of its better ignition lighting system left the screws loose it cracked the case. They wanted to change out one case half. I refused that fix and got my money back in full after arguing it out with KTM. He asked me never to buy a KTM product. That's sad like admitting to a quality problem or who knows that may happen again.
    My two new Italian huskys had problems. That's over $15k+ on three new bikes. Now my milk trucks and late 70's Husqvarnas out lasted the brand new ones? Make them run, new tires and tubes, good brakes and we will get another 40 years out of them. They will out live me.

I'm cursed with buying new dirtbikes. My new 99 Suzuki bandit 1200cc I never had a problem but couldn't keep the front wheel down.

Give me your old sh!t boxes, your old tired iron, that's been left out in the rain and snow, those old ancient Suzuki TS series bikes. I had many and got everyone running by cleaning the carb. These early 70's bikes make great first rides.

We have and had more fun fixing clunkers and riding them.
    MikeDi likes this.
  13. MikeDi Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1983 WR 430
    Other Motorcycles:
    I agree, and don't get me started about fuel injection and four strokes. Cripes!
  14. Houredout401 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '77 CR250 '78WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    '76MR250 '83IT250 '84 IT490 '69CT70
    I have a nice shiny acerbic rear fender with tail light, not sure if it will fit but you are welcome to try.
  15. jimspac Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR, 82 430WR, 84 250WR, 85 400
    Other Motorcycles:
    86 400WR, 82 Montesa Cota 349

I am familiar with DC Plastics as I got number plates for my TT500 from eBay and I could tell they were vacuum bagged as they did not fit perfect but not unacceptable either, I have no problem using them on a rider but if I chose to sell one it will get the plastic it's condition deserves. If primo, it gets as close as it can to OEM. If not, I know how to paint DC Plastics and make it close.

I am actually glad that KTM's owner(not owned by KTM) bought Husqvarna because I do not think the name would have survived under anyone else. They went to great effort to do justice to the Husqvarna name and I feel they succeded in that by merging it to and replacing Husaberg they reunified the company that Cagiva caused to split
  16. Eurofreak Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1986 TE 510, 1982 CR250, 2008 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    70's Triumph , Bultaco , Maico, etc
    I don't like the purchase because the Husky's have turned into KTM clones. I had hoped BMW would expand their market with a dirtbike arm. They could have become a real option besides KTM. BMW has enough money to make sure parts and R&D would occur. I had three Italian Husky's and I liked them.
  17. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    84 250,86 400,87 430,88 250,95 360
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
    ktm destroyed husaberg, and they ended up being 2 stroke bikes that were ktm clones. husaberg was already long gone so it was kind of a mercy killing really. husqvarna doesnt really exist anymore, kind of a rebadged thing. the italian thing was nasty when it happened but at least it was a company that made it own machinery, and did carry on the previous (real) husky designs a good while.
    anyways..
  18. suprize Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR 400, bike in a box Moto Villa 350
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm 300
    im pretty happy that they survived. only a truly passionate man would have gone to those extents to bring back a failing brand. im hoping it will completely break away from ktm parts in the future if it can stand on its own feet
    MikeDi likes this.
  19. Bigbill Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '83 250wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    0 right now
    I really like my late 70's to early 80's Husqvarna evolution bikes.

After my husaberg had problems the first few days I had it the KTM factory rep wasn't nice to me nor me to him. He asked me not to purchase another KTM product. Now my new 98 Husqvarna I got into it with the importer fast by feracchi. He did fix my bike. The 99 TE610e had problems too being the first model, new engine. Don't own them anymore.
    I had $20k to buy a new Harley or what ever I wanted. I bought the Polaris quad, the Suzuki bandit 1200, and the 98 250wr husky instead of the Harley I got three rides. The new huskys and berg were a mistake. I'm still into left kickers.
  20. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    84 250,86 400,87 430,88 250,95 360
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
    the husaberg you keep ripping on was sabotaged by the dealer according to you. you really never said there was anything actually wrong with the bike.