1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

1983 250 wr Karcoma Zu fuel tap leaking.

Discussion in 'Vintage Restoration Projects' started by fe600racer, Oct 30, 2019.

1. fe600racer Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    250 wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    husaberg
    Fuel tap leaks. I took it apart and cleaned it. Gasket looked good. If I twist in on and off it is okay but if I push horizontally the arm it leaks. Not ideal.

Anyone had experience with this? Can I get parts for this?

My 1983 500 cr has a plastic handle on a different tap it works well but I would like to keep the original karcona if possible?

Any thoughts?
  2. Vinskord Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    400 CR
    Will this help?

bingcarburetor.com

KP - Copy.jpg
    DeathFromAbove likes this.
  3. fe600racer Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    250 wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    husaberg
    yes it does, thanks. I have phoned them after hours so will try again later. The one I am fixing is the A in the diagram and the better working design appears to be D that is on my cr500. The one I am fixing is a tricky little design with a push down area to get the circlip out hope the the kit can fix it up but it could be working as best it can as is as the washer cork thing looks okay. Will let you know what they say.
  4. Crashaholic Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    73 450WR 6spd motor in a 75 MK frame
    I've tried this rebuild kit on several Karcoma petcocks like the one shown in figure A and the rubber packing is .5mm to thick. Tried to sand it thinner with limited results. However I've had good results with this Suzuki packing. Even though the fuel holes are slightly different than the Karcoma's holes it does stretch without distorting.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SUZUKI-TS1...882317&hash=item3d7f2e60d3:g:wyEAAOSw651cNjxK
  5. fe600racer Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    250 wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    husaberg
    Thanks. It's interesting that the rebuilt kit has the gasket too thick. There is a bent washer that acts as a pressure spring that holds it tight but pushing the tap handle plate down to get the circlip in is the problem you must be having with the gasket .5mm to thick? Wonder how factory do it but that thickness would stop the sideways movement causing the leak but it's now good if can't get it back together....I'll try the suzi gasket.
  6. Crashaholic Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    I think the reason for the packing being to thick is that its meant for a later model Karcoma. The ones like image A came with a cork packing, at least the ones from the 70's, I don't know for certain about the ones from the 80's.

I remember the Bing Agency telling me the thicker packing would work if I just squeezed the assembly tighter when installing the circlip. Theres a thread on here somewhere that has others talking about the same problem I had. Then someone found out the Suzuki packing worked.
  7. fe600racer Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    250 wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    husaberg
    Yes. Mine is cork gasket.
  8. fe600racer Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    250 wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    husaberg
    A local store had the gasket. It was thicker as you said. I put the gasket in the sun and tried to put it in but it was impossible....I got a helper with two small screwdrivers to push down and with some effort got the oring in. I then sprayed wd40 into top to loosen it up. It I'd tight but i have not tested it yet. Sun to soften gasket and a helper with 2 screwdrivers pushing down appears to be the trick.
  9. Crashaholic Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    I was able to install the thick Karcoma packing with the help of a jig I made but the valve was so tight the handle was difficult to turn and I was concerned with snapping it off. So I removed the packing and used the suzuki one mentioned above. Hope yours work out, its always preferred nice to have OEM parts in place.
  10. fe600racer Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    250 wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    husaberg
    Yes. I have been concerned at bending or snapping the arm
    ...wd40 in the inlet and outlet seemed to work but long term I will let you know.
  11. mike328 Husqvarna
    AA Class

I have had these petcocks literally fall apart... I sent back and got another.. I was told the manufacturer wasn't pressing the cir clips in properly or something...