1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

1982 430CR project

Discussion in 'Vintage Restoration Projects' started by ruwfo, Dec 20, 2009.

1. ruwfo Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1980 390CR, 1982 430CR, 1984 400WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    1985 250XC, 2016 FJ-09
    I don't want to hog all the Vintage Restoration Projects posts, but i thought i'd show the 430CR race-restoration i just finished this past fall, just i time for the last few Vintage Mx races in NJ/NY.

I bought this project off Ebay for $280 in 8/08, with a broken kicker & a minor oil leak. It's number matching 82 430CR,which someone sort of turned into a XC. Previous owner repainted the motor ,pipe, rear sprocket & hub without removing anything including the gas tank! can you say major over spray .

So the motor was pulled, frame cleaned & repainted with Rustolem appliance epoxy paint (color -stainless steel) , pod filter tossed & bash plate removed. I bought an air box off ebay , also a 82 (XC) tank to replace the Malcolm Smith plastic one. The silencer was swapped with the one off the Frankenstein bike (see my 500CR project). New air filter, levers etc, & minor adjusting got her started 1st kick after i replaced the kicker pawl, that's when i discovered the minor oil leak the guy said it had . Oil seeped out from under the carb , the main cases where cracked.

So i pushed my project in the garage, disgusted. There it sat til late Winter & i found a replacement bottom end, ( i didn't think the original could be welded correctly). Of course the project wasn't done fighting with me as i had to cut off the swingarm/rear motor mount bolts just to get the engine out.

Luckily the swap went without a problem, & with a better seat off Ebay & some DC plastics side panels the bike started to look more like it should. A new spark plug cap, front tire, intake boot & some fighting
    with the jetting (Thanks to Whoop dee doo cycles for their help) ,fork rebuild & finally the bike was race ready.

Attached Files:

2. ruwfo Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    1985 250XC, 2016 FJ-09
    more pics, 1st 2 are before i found the cases were crack, 3 picture is motor swap & last 2 are finished pictures

Attached Files:

3. huskyhaulic Husqvarna
    C Class

Bike looks awesome! :thumbsup: How does she handle? The old twin shockers are the coolest:notworthy:
  4. schimmelaw Husqvarna
    AA Class

WFO,
    Nice build. Wish I could find a $300.00 project bike. Everything around here is high dollar even for junk (if you can find it to begin w/).
  5. ruwfo Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    1985 250XC, 2016 FJ-09
    huskyhaulic: Thanks, yeah i'm happy with how the bike finally came out ,
    glad i didn't give up on her. Bike handles great 1982CR's had nice shocks & a good pair of forks. I've pulled Yamaha 465 on the straights.

schimmelaw: yeah i was lucky as not seen another 430 for sale since.
  6. HuskyT Moderator

Hi Rick,

Steals still exist... you just have to be watching !

Here is my next project. 1979 OR 250 Exactly $300 and I had to drive up the the California Hi Desert City of Victorville to get it. I pulled the duct tape off of the reed body, poured in some 2s gas and it fired on the first kick... 11:00 oclock at night... my neighbors loved me.... no kill switch on the bike

I sold the motor ( running) for $400. The rest of the bike is sitting in my storage unit... waiting for another 390 motor ( preferably OR 390 on this one) to present itself!

Anyone want a well used desert tank?

[IMG]

[IMG]

The seat pan is still in good shape.... that is worth $100 right there!
    [IMG]

T
  7. huskyhaulic Husqvarna
    C Class

They do exist here's my $40.00 1979 390 auto

I found this bike in a classified add that was only an hour away and the guy said it ran and was complete. When I got there it was setting in the woods about 200 yards from his house the seat was missing, broken headlight both wheels frozen to the axles and the motor was locked up. He wanted $200.00 for it I took one look and started to head back to my van when he said ok just give me 50 bucks for it I said 40 and he said sold! We had to use a tractor to pull it up from the woods and the whole time I am thinking what am I getting into. Once I got her home and started tearing it down she wasn't as bad as I thought, started feeling guilty about only paying $40.00 but that went away after busting my knuckles on the rusted bolts! I have been working on her about two months now. Powder coated the frame, new wheel bearings, brake shoes, bushings, seat, levers, grips, all new plastics, an aluminum tank from a 250 parts bike I have, and an nos headlight numberplate that was made in 1978 from UFO its coming from Italy and should be here in two weeks. I still need to find a good crank but the tranny looks very good. Here's some before and after pics. Still a work in progress, but it's rolling!

Attached Files:

8. schimmelaw Husqvarna
    AA Class

Boys,
    I applaud all of ya'lls efforts. Diamonds in the rough each and everyone of them. Nice finds and great work.
    Rick