1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

1982 430CR Performance Mods

Discussion in 'Vintage/Left Kickers' started by crew67lm, Aug 14, 2016.

1. crew67lm Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 430CR
    Anybody try these mods?
    Any guesses on what to expect? 130.png 131.png 132.png
  2. GaryM Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1981 430cr second 430 CR 500cr
    Other Motorcycles:
    1981 490 Maico
    Yes. More !

I know I two folks that have done this so far. First faster mid to high hit in rev range. More on top. But both of these folks
    added more items too. Steve from the old Huskydogg is one who did the mod. He also added the V force reed block and added
    a Geoff morris pipe. Steve did mention he thought the V force was a major reason for power surge. Maybe more that porting or just
    worked together. He has moved on from bikes, but i know the second owner and says its the fastest husky he has owned.

Second person was a customer of Rick Horvart. Rick said just a total rush in power in all areas. Bike had Mossbarger reed block also added
    Says was spinning the tires all the time.

Rick did say expect much more toll on piston time and more rebuilds. Really says on 430 do you really need it. But it would be fun to try
    this mod.

Just to let you know, I have the Mossbarger installed and the Geoff Morris pipe and have a real nice extra rush in mid range going toward high that
    just is fun to ride. Had my second 430 side by side without added extras and it did not have this burst.

430 is a dang good power band without changing it.
  3. suprize Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR 400, bike in a box Moto Villa 350
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm 300
    I gave the 400 a "clean up" in the ports, it pulls 3 bike lengths over a std 400 without any loss of bottom end. still very rideable.
  4. Bigbill Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '83 250wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    0 right now
    Yup did the raised, arced, widen it a tad to the exhaust port, opened up the exhaust port and polished it. Polished the transfer ports, knife edged the center support in the transfer ports. On a screaming 81 250cr. I think we ran a 11 tooth front sprocket. Jet it correctly.

Great laughs with this bike it pizza off a few buddies. The trick saying was I told the kid to take it easy on the old bike. That means hammer them. They all seen this bike from the rear. Funny thing was I bought it non running at the junk yard. I took her from the shelter like a pup, gave her a new home and she ran awesome.
  5. Kartwheel68 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 125XC, 250XC, 430XC, 430WR, 250CR
    Other Motorcycles:
    83 175WR , 76 250WR, 74 250 Mag
    The thing to notice from those porting specs is how little they actually changed and the changes they did make were not drastic.
  6. Bigbill Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '83 250wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    0 right now
    Better breathing. It's all about the chee= FLOW To me. The chamber draws the new air/gas mixture in while the transfer ports makes it flow much easier. It's like the engine knows when your turning the throttle ahead of time. The response time is much faster. There's no lag.

I just picked up a mossbarger intake with a canister for the 430cr. I also picked up a intake manifold for the square intake with a canister.

I read a little on the canister but I wish I knew more.? Is there some sort of negative breathing going on between the reeds and carb and the canister balances or smooths it out.?

I'd like to learn about every mod there is.
  7. suprize Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR 400, bike in a box Moto Villa 350
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm 300
    I believe the canister is a gimmick but happy to see a dyno result to show an increase in lower power as claimed by Yamaha (YEIS) Yamaha engineered ideas system.
  8. Kartwheel68 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Boost bottles dont work if they did you would see them on modern two strokes, which you don't, and for good reason.
  9. Bigbill Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '83 250wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    0 right now

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_9r7wiXrylQ

Pro circuit boost bottle with the mossbarger intake manifold was the hot ticket at onetime? If it works on the smaller two strokes I would think it will work on the larger two stroke engines. I don't think it's not fully understood what it actually does.
  10. wrx Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1973 to 1986 husky's various models
    Other Motorcycles:
    RM -250 / Buell / Penton 400 mc5
    its a 430 ! do you really need to port a 430 ? 95% of people cant use the power they have in stock form.
  11. Bigbill Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '83 250wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    0 right now
    http://www.2-stroke-porting.com/Boost_Bottle.html

I find this upgrade very interesting. It's more torque on the bottom end. Smooths out the gasses in relationship to the reeds opening and closing.

Mods to do,

Porting per Husqvarna specs. Advance the port timing.
    After market reeds.
    Mossbarger reed box. Port match and polish reed box
    Reed box spacer with hose for the boost canister.
    38mm carb with the UFO installed And the ring with the blades to atomize the fuel as it leaves the carb.
    Cut the horizontal pipe on the chamber per specs 30 mm.

Choices of ignition?

External moto plat with the flywheel
    Or
    Internal rotor moto plat no flywheel.

Thoughts? Getting the crank assembly balanced.
  12. ct cr430 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1981 cr 430
    Other Motorcycles:
    2007 honda crf450
    The boost bottles that I have seen were plumbed right into the mossbarger reed assembly on the part the carb attaches to . The mossbarger is also longer than stock so you would need to trim the airboot for the carb to fit and the reed petals are a different size than the stockers .
  13. Bigbill Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '83 250wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    0 right now
    Do you think a short length of hose with the boost bottle mounted under the seat? Depends on the hose ID?
  14. Kartwheel68 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Boost bottles only worked on Yamahas and they only worked on them because their reed cage was such a poor design. Putting a boost bottle on anything else is a complete waste of time.
  15. ct cr430 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1981 cr 430
    Other Motorcycles:
    2007 honda crf450
    I'm happy with mine without the boost bottle . Haven't tried one . Try it if you want . The ones I've seen were below the tank . I saw those porting specs also and thought about doing it but then started looking closer at the more square edges and decided not to . Now if I had more spares to work with I may have tried that porting mod so it can be changed back if I didn't like the changes . I kept my mode simple , mossbarger reed block with boyesen 2 stage reeds , asche pipe , cleaned up case/ cylinder mismatches . I do want to say thanks to others who posted thier 430 jetting specs , got me alot closer than where I was . Made a huge difference .
  16. Bigbill Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '83 250wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    0 right now
    The UFO installed on the bottom of the round slide allows us to run smaller jets. It's a wedge that covers the wall that's opposite the slide cut out. The flow of gas hits that wall without it. I left polishing the crankcase. Chamfering the oil hole on the ignition side crank bearing. Maybe this oil hole should be one size larger in diameter to allow more 2t mix to flow.

They run so much smoother with the UFO with the porting.

What jetting are you running?
  17. Kartwheel68 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    I didnt watch the video before. You realize that the engine in that video is a piston port and not a reed valve right? Do you know why that would make a difference? A properly functioning reed valve eliminates the entire purpose of a boost bottle, which is why the poorly designed Yamaha reed is the only one that saw improvement from a boost bottle.

Also, the link to the Lowell Horning page is about multiple cylinder engines and the boost bottle performs a completely different function on a twin or triple than it is supposed to do (but doesnt) on a single.

If you dont believe me, listen to what George Earl said in a recent thread here:

George is, of course, correct.
  18. Bigbill Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '83 250wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    0 right now
    The newer 2t with the power valve it doesn't work on the they said. There seems to be a mixture directional flow problem between the reeds and carb when the reeds shut. I believe the flowing mixture hits a dead end. They used this boost bootle, canister setup in the 80'?
  19. Bigbill Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '83 250wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    0 right now
    Just below up-titles post there's randyhowell post about his first ride with the boost bottle I can't move it here.

Search for " boost bottle" start reading at 81 cr 430?

Pros and cons
  20. Bigbill Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '83 250wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    0 right now
    Dumb question. Is the 430 pipe the same as the 500 pipe? Both cr I believe?