1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

1980 husqvarna cr390 muffler?

Discussion in 'Vintage/Left Kickers' started by lolosuzuki, Nov 7, 2008.

1. lolosuzuki Husqvarna
    B Class

Hi

Inherited this beast a few years ago. Rebuilt the carb/forks, cleaned the brakes, lubed this and that replaced a cable, cleaned lubed the air filter...

Take her out for a ride. She feels decently fast. Nothing breaks during the first 20 minute run.

So im ringing its neck on this long long flat strait. BOOM its 3x as loud and feels 2x as powerfull. The back of the muffler totally blew out!

I found the end cap but the internal perforated tube is missing as is the packing.

Where do i get a muffler for this bike? Also, a shop manual? maybe in pdf?

Thanks so much ahead of time. Im ready to hop back on this cool bike.

p.s. Though the bike looks like the "before" pics on restore pages...i did get it with the original steel gas tank mint...:D
  2. HuskyT Moderator

Look at the vintage parts sources thread. Any of a number of shops that you can try. Or Ebay for an original silencer but they may /will be hard to find if you have the gold anodized one.....

T
  3. lolosuzuki Husqvarna
    B Class

Thanks for the quick reply!

Ive searched hard for a muffler specific to the bike with no luck.

Im hoping someone will say something like "graft one off a honda cr250r or kx500 or something"
  4. flyarmy Husqvarna
    B Class

FMF makes a universal 2-stroke muffler/spark aresstor silencer combination that a lot of guys use on their vintage or post vintage bikes. The inlet to the silencer comes in two different sizes and I am sure you can make it fit. Check out the FMF site for the sizes. They seem reasonably priced also.
    Mike
  5. lolosuzuki Husqvarna
    B Class

Thank you for the great suggestion!

I might go that route. $119 for 1 1/8 or 1 1/4 universal
  6. HuskyT Moderator

I have one , in the bag, brand new and it is available PM sent

T
  7. lolosuzuki Husqvarna
    B Class

Thanks very much.

Just took this for you hehe:

[IMG]
  8. flyarmy Husqvarna
    B Class

It looks great and they clean up real good with a little elbow grease. You may find some surprises as I have but they are really cool dirt bikes and have some much more character than their japanese brothers. One surprise I had was my forks. I took them apart and the springs were bent and had metal shavings in the oil. I decided to bore out the stock triples from 40mm to 43mm so I can try and use 43mm YZ forks, wheel and double leading shoe front brake. It won't be pure husky anymore but I think it will handle great with the Ohlins and a Race Tech valve kit in the forks?
    I hope that FMF muffler works for you. I think it will.
    Mike
  9. lolosuzuki Husqvarna
    B Class

Ah yeah i need to clean her up real good. Already did the forks. They are curved a little but nothing to hold up travel. Was weird that it uses two seals p/fork.

Yeah im hoping that muffler works well. It actually seems to run pretty good with a empty muffler and the cap on the end...its just SOOOO LOUD lol
  10. schimmelaw Husqvarna
    AA Class

Had the same bike in the late 70's. Once dailed - extremely reliable. Fork seals were reoccurng problem, but you will lean how to do the seal change in uder 30 minutes. At that time, I had a bunch fo husky stuff. Wish I still had half of it. Good luck - extremely fun, reliable, exciting and different bike.