1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

1980 cases

Discussion in 'Vintage/Left Kickers' started by auto, Nov 10, 2017.

1. auto Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    too many
    Anyone know if 2080(1980 cr390) case are alum or mag.Or does anyone have good set they would sell
    Thanks,Joe
  2. Up-tite Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Mag, I'll look around probably do but after my move I don't have a clue as to where.
    Later George
  3. Vinskord Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    400 CR
    When working on Huskys, this might be helpful on how to distinguish magnesium from aluminum.

From NAVAIR 16-1-540 technical manual printed by The Department of the Army in 1987:

“WARNING
    Silver nitrate is toxic. Exercise care to ensure that it does not come in contact with the skin.

CAUTION
    Silver nitrate is corrosive. It should not come in contact with any exposed surface other than those intended.

a. Magnesium may be distinguished from aluminum by a spot test with silver nitrate solution. Dissolve a few crystals (approximately 1/4 teaspoon) of Silver Nitrate, O-C-265 (Appendix A, Item 74) in approximately one (1) ounce of water. Select or make a clean bare metal spot and place a drop of solution on it. If the area turns black, the material is magnesium. Aluminum shows no reaction.”
    auto and justintendo like this.
  4. auto Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    too many
    Where does one get a 1/4 teaspoon of silver nitrate, all kidding aside, great if I can buy a small amount.
  5. Vinskord Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    400 CR
    Amazon, ebay, Pool Supply stores, Granger - all between $7 - $25. Sometimes drug stores will have sticks, like large Q-Tips with the tips impregnated with silver nitrate - have never tried though. Sometimes the sticks have potassium nitrate in them so not sure if it would work. Silver nitrate is used as an antiseptic and to remove warts. Probably more info than anyone wanted to know.
    2premo and auto like this.
  6. jimspac Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR, 82 430WR, 84 250WR, 85 400
    Other Motorcycles:
    86 400WR, 82 Montesa Cota 349
    The cases are magnesium and are the same as the 1980 250 model. So you can also use cases from a 1980 or 1981 250 as well
  7. Kartwheel68 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 125XC, 250XC, 430XC, 430WR, 250CR
    Other Motorcycles:
    83 175WR , 76 250WR, 74 250 Mag
    All Swedish Husky cases from the 74 Mag 250 onwards are magnesium. I think the 75 460WR and 125 were the last aluminum case engines.
    Crashaholic likes this.
  8. Crashaholic Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    73 450WR 6spd motor in a 75 MK frame
    Acidic products like vinegar work for me. Make sure the test surface is clean. Magnesium turns black within seconds, alum doesn't.
  9. auto Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    too many
    Thanks for all replies.The rear right mounts is broken.If anyone has a trashed right case I can cut up and fit and weld would be grateful.Or cases or right side case
  10. suprize Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR 400, bike in a box Moto Villa 350
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm 300
    replace the case i rekon, better than constantly chasing a welded repair that may set up unwanted forces in a fairly hammered area...
  11. Kartwheel68 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 125XC, 250XC, 430XC, 430WR, 250CR
    Other Motorcycles:
    83 175WR , 76 250WR, 74 250 Mag
    Cases should not be hard to find, I would definitely do that before I tried to weld it.
  12. fran...k. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    420ae 98wr125 2004wr250 others
    Other Motorcycles:
    electric freeride 1993 yam gts
    Automatic two cycle and four cycle engines have aluminum cases. I can not say all of them but that might be the case. From what I have seen there is no steel insert at the crank bearing like the magnesium cases I have apart.
  13. Bigbill Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '83 250wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    0 right now
    I had my welding vendor give my a few samples of TIG rod for magnesium. I even found out the clutch cover on my sons 85/125cr Honda was magnesium too. My cardboard welding chambers worked out well flooded with argon.
  14. auto Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    too many
    I have mag rod and a welder who can do the welding. Anyone know if 2061 cases will accept the larger trans shafts and bearings of the 2080 cases.
  15. Bigbill Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '83 250wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    0 right now
    Remember that magnesium burns uncontrollably once it lights up I couldnt put it out. I stepped on a bubble of lit magnesium on the floor and had ten Richard Pryors running in all direction. It made little droplets on fire. That was my first experience. A droplet fell through thevopen squares on the acorn welding table. The box flooded with argon works well. Make sure your welder has done this before.
  16. markt2 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1976 250CR (times 2)
    Other Motorcycles:
    Several vintage Yamahas
    And don't ever try to put out burning magnesium with water... it will explode... violently!

My very first car was a VW bug... I drove it all over the desert near El Mirage CA when my Dad was flying sailplanes. It caught on fire when my sister was driving it home (I was too young to get my driver's license). Local Adelanto fire department showed up when it was pretty much burned out. There was still a white hot magnesium fire underneath. My Dad warned them about the burning magnesium and water reaction. They ignored him. My Dad had us get WAY back. Two firemen picked up the side of the burned out hulk while a third hit the mag fire with the water. BOOM! The explosion sent the two firemen rolling across the desert like tumbleweeds in a windstorm! Fortunately, nobody was seriously hurt.

DSCN2368.JPG DSCN2369.JPG