1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

1980 390or Suspension

Discussion in 'Vintage/Left Kickers' started by FirstEliminator, Jan 16, 2018.

1. Bigbill Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '83 250wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    0 right now
    I could get the on any late ‘70’s to mid ‘80’s husky and ride it not go crazy but ride it. These newer bikes the suspension needs to be setup for our weight and tuned to our style of riding. Do we really need all these bells and whistles on the newer suspensions? If you take a big dump is your suspension off? Lol

The older forks you can adjust the sag by installing pvc spacers on top of the springs. You can adjust the compression by changing the oil weight and by adding more holes to the tubes. Or add racetech valves.

The rear shocks you adjust the springs on the shocks for sag with the rider in full gear. Or change the spring rates.
  2. Bigbill Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '83 250wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    0 right now
    Btw, using the progressive rear shocks being 300lbs that I am with either shock length wether it’s the 15.5” or 16.5” use the heaviest spring for that length of shock. That worked for me. Make sure you have the right springs.
  3. oldbikedude Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1988 wr 430 with cr suspension
    Other Motorcycles:
    66flh,67 CA77,76 CR125M,73H1,74ty250
    Yes if you want to go as fast or faster than the fast guys. Adding spacers to springs also increases spring preload and effects rebound.
    Oil weight effects compression and rebound dampening.
  4. Bigbill Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '83 250wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    0 right now
    I look at the videos of the old desert racers they went fast on the older bikes. But the older riders were tough? Maybe tougher than the younger riders of today?

My new ‘98 Husqvarna 250wr front forks was unridable off road. It went back to the dealer to have the springs changed and it was worse. Every bump I hit the tripple tree got a hit up from a sledge hammer. I’m sure it’s with every new bike the suspension needs to be tuned to the rider. A newer bike is like a boat B= break O= out, A= another, T = thousand to get the suspension done.

I like the Swede left kickers much better
  5. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    84 250,86 400,87 430,88 250,95 360
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
    please bill...if you do not have an understanding or a desire to try learning about suspension.... just dont comment on it.

any bike handles way better with the suspension set up right. the left kickers cost just as much, and sometimes more to get set up right. your BOAT comment is garbage, have you ever had a set of ohlins rebuilt and set up for a bike instead of cheap progressive suspension junk? not cheap either but you pay for quality..
    besides..there are plenty of places to respring and revalve front inverted forks and rear shock under a grand..
    wrx likes this.
  6. jimspac Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR, 82 430WR, 84 250WR, 85 400
    Other Motorcycles:
    86 400WR, 82 Montesa Cota 349
    Most suspension works well until the rider starts pushing 250lbs or more. Most are set for a 170lb expert rider.
  7. Bigbill Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '83 250wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    0 right now
    Wow did I get off on the wrong side of the bike or did someone else.

The dealer changed my 98 husky 250wr suspension to stronger springs and it got worse. Off road it was unrideable.

My boat comment was said to mean we purchased the new bike then need to dump more $$ into it to setup the suspension. It makes me wonder why the dealer can’t do this.

I seen a few front forks with pvc spacers on the springs.

Now I did use two pair of progressive rear shocks they did work as long as thevspring rate is used for your weight. Now will they work if you race I’m not sure I don’t race. But I pushed them as hard as I could and they held up. I have too many bikes to restore to spend lots of cash on each one. I just play ride anyway. The older suspension works better for me.

Thanks for the flames again.