1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

1980 390 CR Piston - non standard?

Discussion in 'Vintage/Left Kickers' started by VTF, Feb 8, 2016.

1. VTF Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1977 250 CR; 1980 390 CR
    Other Motorcycles:
    1969 T140R; DRZ400E
    I have taken the cylinder off the 390 to inspect the wear. The piston has two rings and A83F2 stamped on the top. The cylinder doesn't appear too worn, so I was hoping to replace the rings. Can anyone help me identify the manufacturer of the piston so I can source the rings?

Cheers

Craig
  2. cognitive 390 Husqvarna
    AA Class

If I am not mistaken 390's came with single ring Mahle pistons. At least my two did. Not sure what you have. There are several aftermarket pistons available.
    I would recommend checking piston/cylinder clearances before replacing as you may be out of tolerances. If within tolerances, you will probably want to give
    the cylinder a light honing to ensure piston ring seating before replacing rings. Also, even though the piston/cylinder clearances may be OK, check the ring gap
    tolerances as well. There have been several occasions where I have had to go up one size on the piston ring and not just with Husqvarnas. You may need to do
    a light grinding on the ring gap to ensure tolerances. But again, I don't believe 390's came with an oil ring.
  3. stormer254 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    More than I dare let her know
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yes!
    My 390 has a single ring.
  4. grouty Auto Lover ...

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    78 390WR, 78 390 AMX, 500 Humph
    Other Motorcycles:
    works 73 CCM 520, another 73 CCM520
    All mine have a single ring (Wossner). I believe Wiseco pistons had 2 rings. I might be wrong !
  5. jimspac Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR, 82 430WR, 84 250WR, 85 400
    Other Motorcycles:
    86 400WR, 82 Montesa Cota 349
    Replacement out of production Wiseco pistons and rings can be sourced through LA Sleeve. As well as generic rings in the thickness and diameter you need even if your piston is not a Wiseco.