1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

1978 390 CR Will not Fire Up

Discussion in 'Vintage Restoration Projects' started by Mangosteen, Jul 31, 2015.

1. suprize Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR 400, bike in a box Moto Villa 350
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm 300
    if you mixed the fuel in the tank, your problem is very common. it doesn't do to chuck a couple of hundred ml in the tank, bang in some fuel and slosh it around for two ticks then open the fuel tap as it will usually drop raw oil straight into your carb every time.
    if I do an on the tank fill, I shake the sh*tter out of it for ages with the fuel off then ride the bike till i hear the bowl running out then bang on the tap. if there is any residual oil, there is a chance of dragging it through and getting some better mix in to flush it out without poohing the plug. great outcome tho, nice scooter!
    DaveM and justintendo like this.
  2. wrx Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1973 to 1986 husky's various models
    Other Motorcycles:
    RM -250 / Buell / Penton 400 mc5
    I mixed that 927 Castor crap with AV gas at a jet ski race about 20 yrs ago and it separated and would not mix no matter how much I shook the can . don't know if it was the castor or the AV gas but I haven't used either since.now I use sunoco 93 and golden spectro @ 40:1 for ALL my Huskys and never had a problem. what type of fuel did you mix with???
  3. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    84 250,86 400,87 430,88 250,95 360
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
    it wasnt the castor, but perhaps a problem with the 927. the klotz i run mixes easily with many different kinds of fuel, most oil makers will not talk about it but klotz states it directly on the bottle. i mix my fuel in a clear container usually and have dumped the super techniplate in, not mixed it, and after about 5 minutes it seems to spread out pretty well. or at least the color does.
    trying to mix fuel "after the fact" is probably a recipe for problems regardless of oil choice.
  4. ajcmbrown Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    400WR 250WR 07 WR500 430AE 360AE
    Other Motorcycles:
    1985 500CR Ducati Multistrada 1200S
    I have had castor come out of suspension, but I believe it is the fuel that causes it. In Australia we had leaded fuel until 1986 and never had any problems with castor, once unleaded was mandatory it began happening, but was more prevalent with certain brands of unleaded.
    Tony
    DaveM likes this.
  5. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
    fuel can be unstable, and you never really know whats coming out of the pump. i have definitely pumped water out before, and had my streetbike start running badly within a few miles of filling up. drain the tank into a glass jug and see the water roll around the bottom.
  6. suprize Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm 300
    we had a servo years ago and after a pretty big storm we had an incident that was interesting. we were filling cars all day and around 3pm this guy came in, filled up his car and left. A minute later the bloke walks back in and says it stopped 100 yards up the road ?? "whats wrong with your fuel?" "Nothing we reply"... "well whats this?" he says and shows us a bead of water in his hand. he had whipped off the airfilter and pumped the jets and realised it was water being squirted out.

we dip the tank and its 1/2 full (some 2000 gallons) of water:eek: the tank was 30 years old, the water from the storm the day before had filled up all around it, "floated and cracked it" and filled it up in about 10 minutes. Amazing.
  7. ruwfo Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1980 390CR, 1982 430CR, 1984 400WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    1985 250XC, 2016 FJ-09
    very nice bike
  8. NC Rick Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE 449
    Other Motorcycles:
    Dr 650, KLX, Ducati track bikes
    That is such a nice bike! I purchased a purple 390CR brand new back in the day. I thought the purple CR was a 77? I remember that bike as being crazy fast, it had a pretty good hit in the mid range. I have photos of it somewhere.
  9. Greasyrider Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1975 250 CR
    Other Motorcycles:
    1975 BMW 750, 1974 CanAm 125 TnT
    What a find! Are you going to restore the 390 or use it for a rider? It's a beautiful bike but I would have a hard time not taking it to the local track and enjoying the ride.
  10. Mangosteen Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1976 360 WR and 1978 390 CR
    Other Motorcycles:
    Maico 1977 AW 400
    I used Chevron 94 octane which has zero methanol here in Western Canada. The 390 still starts on the second kick without choke in summer weather. I will leave the 390 as is because it's all original plastics and Seats. All I had to do is get all shocks rebuilt and really dig into the carb. Also new cables everywhere and grips. Attached is another set of photos as I went riding around the orchard today.
  11. Mangosteen Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Maico 1977 AW 400
    I used Chevron 94 octane which has zero methanol here in Western Canada. The 390 still starts on the second kick without choke in summer weather. I will leave the 390 as is because it's all original plastics and Seats. All I had to do is get all shocks rebuilt and really dig into the carb. Also new cables everywhere and grips. Attached is another set of photos as I went riding around the orchard today. image.jpg image.jpg
    As for mixing I was using an separate gas tank on the ground. This time I really mixed it hard and it seems to come out as a light milky mixture. I still have the original litre of 927 but I will not use it any more. I ended up buying a new batch. I suspect it's a bad liter of 927 I had unless adding oil in the mixing container after the gas makes that much of a difference.
    The purple tank Husky is a 1976 WR. I am not sure which model of CR came in purple.

Next projects will be a nice yellow 125 and later a CZ but that may take a few years.
  12. Mangosteen Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Maico 1977 AW 400
    Forgot to mention I had the handlebars powder coated the the pipe ceramic coated. Had to replace the rubber handlebar mounts as well. Seems like some rubber like the fender mounts lasts forever but other rubber does not. All carb boot rubber changed as well. It had oil in the transmission that was still to level since 1982 but that's been changed twice just to be sure. Nothing funny noticed in the oil.
  13. suprize Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm 300
    nice pipe on that maico....
  14. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
    something sounds really messed up with that oil.
  15. Mangosteen Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Maico 1977 AW 400
    Finally have the front plate stickers ready. Original from 1978 vs Replica. image.jpg

Attached Files:

16. DaveM Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2001 TE 570
    Other Motorcycles:
    Motorised Bicycle
    Back in the day, I'm starting to sound old,

but anyway I digress,

I was told with castor oil, you mix it, use it and dump what is left at the end of the day.

It is known for not staying in suspension.

That is why I never used castor oil, but a friend who raced go karts gave me the heads up.

Some good reading,

http://www.klemmvintage.com/oils.htm

Cheers, Dave.
  17. Mangosteen Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Maico 1977 AW 400
    Thanks a million Dave. That is fantastic information and makes one really wonder.
    I like the professional way that the articles were written with facts as opposed to just opinion.

Interesting on the 20:1 vs 40:1 ratios depending upon the RPM your planning to use the most.
  18. troy deck Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    87 250wr 12 cr125
    Other Motorcycles:
    kx65 ty80 rm80 kdx250
    i would listen to Harry Klemm he built some fast bikes back in the day E.C. Birt to