1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

1976 WR 250 Femsa no spark/Need wiring diagram

Discussion in 'Vintage/Left Kickers' started by isaacsjohnston, Oct 6, 2020.

1. isaacsjohnston Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    76 250WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha IT465
    In the spring I bought a 1976 WR 250 from near Edmonton, Canada. I live in the US and was going to have a friend pick it up and I could meet him where he lives next to the border. Well, you know how that turned out. After many calls to both sides of the border I finally was able to cross just over and load the bikes from my friends truck to mine. It was now August.

When I got home I gave the bike a look over and it was not in as nice as condition as had been described. It was supposed to only need tires, a front fender and a seat cover. I was told a full top end rebuild had been done and it ran great.

I found that the spark plug was not tightened all the way and when i checked for spark, it had none.

I pulled the kill switch and still nothing. I checked the coil connections, ground the paint on the fram where the coil mounts, and still nothing. The wires looked a little suspect, one connection with only electrical tape. I had no wiring diagram so I moved on.

I pulled the magneto cover and went to pull the nut. With hardly any effort the end of the crank snapped off in my hand! On closer inspection the end of the crank had been broken and very badly welded back on. In the photos linked you can see that only a little fresh metal broke when I rotated the nut. I could also see that the nut had been rubbing on the inside of the magneto cover because it wasn't tightened on all the way. The magneto was not even pressed onto the crank shaft and came right off.

Looking at the stator I noticed a loose wire coming off the points.

This was all very disheartening. I called the PO and he stated to not no anything about it and said he was broke and couldn't refund me partial money for the repair. Not stoked.

Photos here:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/eiwh24z8615ekcq/AAAokrSiBRmRVzWZEMUKzY-5a?dl=0
  2. isaacsjohnston Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    76 250WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha IT465
    After shopping for a crank I called a local vintage parts house and the owner said "your crank is already screwed, why not drill and tap it for a bolt? If it works good, if not you have nothing to lose."

So I tapped it for a 7mm bolt. It seems to work well.

I also looked around for wiring diagrams for the FEMSA stator but didnt find any. I found a few illustrations that looked like the wire was supposed to be connected to the condenser top? So I replaced the wire and soldered it all up.

After cleaning up the crank and inside of the magneto with 800 grit sand paper, I remounted the magneto with the new bolt. The mounting worked great!

But after all this, I still have no spark.

Here are my questions:

- Does anyone have a FEMSA specific wiring diagram they can share?

- What is the best way to measure the stator and coil to see if they are in spec?

- I saw some upgraded ignition systems for this year husky, but none have a lighting coil. Does anyone know of a new ignition system for these that includes a lighting coil? I'd like to keep the lights on this WR.

Thanks and sorry for all the typos.

Isaac
  3. motomwo Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Many vintage big bore and automatics
    You can use a 139mm diameter motoplat magneto from the 77 360WR, 78-80 390OR 390CR just to name a few. It will bolt right up.
  4. isaacsjohnston Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    76 250WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha IT465
    That's helpful thanks!

Is that the route I should go? Is my Femsa setup not good?

I am hoping to test the current setup to see if it is completely broken before I throw it out. Does anyone have the information about how best to test these coils?
  5. isaacsjohnston Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    76 250WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha IT465
    Bump.

I am really hoping someone can point me in the right direction to find a wiring diagram or a manual on how to test my stator and coil.
  6. isaacsjohnston Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    76 250WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha IT465
  7. motomwo Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
  8. stormer254 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    More than I dare let her know
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yes!
    With Monsieur Visiteur 1948 having disappeared, a lot of questions will be harder to answer, he certainly knew his business and was always quick to help with info! There are loads of people on here with knowledge, even I know a bit about autos, but my visits are less with his threads gone!
    Michel Dufayard, gnlkrmz and Steve-F like this.
  9. WoodsChick Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    3 Terras, 2 `07 SM610s, `09 WB165,
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM, GasGas, Suzuki, Honda
    Visiteur1948 has not disappeared. He was just online yesterday. And all but one of his threads are still up.
  10. isaacsjohnston Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    76 250WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha IT465
    Bump on this thread.

- Does anyone have a FEMSA specific wiring diagram they can share?

- What is the best way to measure the stator and coil to see if they are in spec?

- I saw some upgraded ignition systems for this year husky, but none have a lighting coil. Does anyone know of a new ignition system for these that includes a lighting coil? I'd like to keep the lights on this WR.
  11. grouty Auto Lover ...

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    78 390WR, 78 390 AMX, 500 Humph
    Other Motorcycles:
    works 73 CCM 520, another 73 CCM520
    Both my 1978 390WR's are fitted with a "Power Dynamo" system from Germany. They are now sold under the "Vape" banner. Mine have 12 volt lighting with over 80w of capacity. I opted for the DC version with a regulator/rectifier. Very bright lights and starts easy. Gets my vote :-)
    I did try an "Elecrex World" system a while ago ....... less said about that the better !
  12. Krudd Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    89A 510TE, 89B 510TE
    Other Motorcycles:
    '81 Yamaha XT500
  13. isaacsjohnston Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    76 250WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha IT465
    Thanks!
  14. isaacsjohnston Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    76 250WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha IT465
  15. ruwfo Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1980 390CR, 1982 430CR, 1984 400WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    1985 250XC, 2016 FJ-09
  16. isaacsjohnston Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    76 250WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha IT465
    I am a little confused about what Stator to order and after emailing the folks at Tola Tools I am even more confused.

Here is what I emailed them "Will the power the front headlight and rear tail light on my bike? Or is it not equipped to run lights?
    Can you verify it will fit my bike, a 1976 Husqvarna WR250? My bike is currently equipped with a Femsa ignition.
    I want to make sure these questions are answered before I order. https://www.tola-tools.de/en/vape-ignition-ac-husqvarna-wr-250-360-110-femsa.html "
    They responded with
    "no, ac variants are just for ignition, no lights.

Please choose dc variants then.
    Please choose the right system from your side, we don’t know your bike."

I find this very confusing because in the wiring diagram on the product page it shows a 12V lead going to lighting.

Has anyone bought this 12v AC version? It seems cheaper and I dont need a battery or side indicators that are possible with the DC version.

17. DeathFromAbove My Cat Says AREAR!

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    70,71 360 8s 72,74 450 73 360 73 250
    Other Motorcycles:
    66 Triumph Trophy 99 ZRX1100
  18. grouty Auto Lover ...

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    78 390WR, 78 390 AMX, 500 Humph
    Other Motorcycles:
    works 73 CCM 520, another 73 CCM520
    The AC and DC systems with lights are essentially the same. The DC system is an AC unit supplied with a voltage regulator / rectifier.
  19. isaacsjohnston Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    76 250WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha IT465
    Update on this.

After finally sorting out what stator to get from Vape EU, I tried to purchase i online and it would not go through. I reached out to them again and was told they do not ship to the USA.

I put it to rest over the winter and now I am trying to get a stator.

I tried to reach out to PVL to verify they ship to the USA and what exact stator I should get but have not heard back.

Does anyone have any other resources for stators for my husky?
  20. motomwo Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle: