1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

1976 175 Cross Country Project

Discussion in 'Vintage Restoration Projects' started by Max R, Aug 22, 2015.

1. Max R Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1975 175 Cross Country. 1976 360wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda ST1100, 1969 Honda CT70,
    I found this on Craig's list over a year ago (May 2014). Been working on it a lot this Summer. I'll upload pics as I can to update my progress. Almost every part needed some kind of attention and my big problem was where to start. I figured that if the engine was toast, there wasn't any reason to restore anything else on the bike, so that was my starting point. It goes without saying the Motoplat was fried. I expected this from the start, having had Husky's over the years. My plan was to have it going by May 2015 ... didn't make that deadline by a long shot. DSC_0001r.jpg DSC_0002r.jpg DSC_0544r.jpg DSC_0575r.jpg
    Motosportz, kanur and ray_ray like this.
  2. Max R Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    The engine with new seals, kickstart spring and a brand new Power Dynamo ignition. DSC_0585r.jpg
    markt2 likes this.
  3. Max R Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
  4. Max R Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    The frame pic is before stripping and painting. Here is a pic of DSC_1032r.jpg my painted swingarm.
  5. Max R Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    A nice view of the painted airbox. DSC_1033r.jpg
    454x likes this.
  6. wrx Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1973 to 1986 husky's various models
    Other Motorcycles:
    RM -250 / Buell / Penton 400 mc5
    nice, keep up the good work.
    Max R likes this.
  7. dartyppyt Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    17 TE 150, 82CR 500
    Other Motorcycles:
    82 125,250,430&500 79 390 83 250
    Nice ride when you get done!
    Max R likes this.
  8. suprize Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR 400, bike in a box Moto Villa 350
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm 300
    coming along nicely
    Max R likes this.
  9. Max R Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Here are more pics of my project. I painted the frame with Rustoleum Metallic Titanium Silver. The frame, seat and airbox are together for inspirational purposes for me to see where I started and where I am today. DSC_1036r.jpg DSC_1038r.jpg
    loony888 and Billd like this.
  10. kanur Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1976 175 GP
    Other Motorcycles:
    Pentons & KTMs
    Nice find from another 175 owner. I plan to give mine a makeover this winter.
    Max R likes this.
  11. Binx Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1976 175 GP
    Other Motorcycles:
    2003 BMW GS, 2004 Honda Ruckus
    Max - just took possession of a 175 GP myself. My bike sorely neglected and in need of much repair. Sat unused for 35 years. Looks a lot like yours. Just getting started with a little clean up. First step is to see if it'll start and run before I invest any more time or money. Didn't own one of these bikes back in "the day" so may tap into your knowledge and experience if I run into questions.

Do you have a second wire coming from the engine case next to the magneto wire? My bike has a second wire just dangling next to the magneto wire and its not connected to anything. Have no idea what its for. You have similar? Thanks for any info. Binx IMG_2889.JPG
    kanur and Max R like this.
  12. Binx Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1976 175 GP
    Other Motorcycles:
    Max - got some questions for you:

New seat? Or just new vinyl over the old foam? Where'd you get it?
    How'd you strip the frame in prep for new paint? Chemical strip? Sanding? Bead blast?
    How'd you get rid of the rust on the frame/swingarm?

Thanks in advance for your answers. Following right behind you with a 1976 175 restoration of my own. Binx.
  13. suprize Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR 400, bike in a box Moto Villa 350
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm 300
    sandblast is the best method to clean all the rust up. if its more than surface rust, the blaster will kindly point this out for you as well.

most blasters will undercoat it for you if your going to paint it or if you wish to powder coat it, powder shop will blast and coat in the one go.

If your going to powder coat, you must remove all bushes (head stem, swing arm etc, put dummy bolts in all the exposed threads and cover any pins etc with a thin metal covering (bit of coke can) to prevent powder coat build up. I got the shocker stubs powder coated and it took a fair bit of sanding before the shox would slip over the stubs again. powder coat can be thick and hard.

also degrease everywhere as powder coating is hot and any grease in hidden spots becomes oil and runs everywhere. not ideal on a fresh powder coat job, concentrate on head stems, frame drain holes and swing arm bushes.

enjoy, ps photograph all wiring, leads cables from as many angles as possible to assist rebuild and down load a parts manual (should be one on line here in tech refs). invaluable in telling what length bolt goes where.

send all the bolts, axles etc to be zinc plated. buy a box of m6, m8 and m10 nylock nuts.

enjoy
    Max R likes this.
  14. dartyppyt Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    17 TE 150, 82CR 500
    Other Motorcycles:
    82 125,250,430&500 79 390 83 250
    Nice find Binx!
    Max R likes this.
  15. Max R Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    At first look, I thought this was my bike ! LOL !
    On my 175, being a cross country, it had a Motoplat with lighting coils. I remember my '74 250 CR had two wires, covered in almost heatshrink, going up to the ignition coil. A blue one and black one. The kill switch wire ran to a connector on the coil.
    Max
  16. Max R Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:

The seat is new cover and foam. I removed the old cover and foam and wire brushed, sanded and primed the seat base. Then several coats of silver paint and finally adding the foam and installing the cover.
    The frame was stripped with wire brush wheels on an air drill. The hard to get places were done with a Harbor Freight spot blaster and baking soda. The I degreased the whole thing with acetone and started painting. The Rust-O-Leum paint I used has primer already, so I didn't prime prior to painting.
  17. Max R Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    My Powerdynamo ignition and airbox rubber mounts were ordered from http://www.husqvarna-parts.com. My seat foam and cover came from http://www.vintagehusky.com. Most other parts came from from Ebay. Paint and supplies from Home Depot. They are my only source here in Memphis for the metallic titanium silver paint I used on the frame. The local Husky dealer did the boring and cylinder clean up.Your bike is in somewhat better shape than mine - my rear wheel's spokes were all messed up and I am trying to figure out how to lace it up. ( got a spoke set from Buchanan's) My forks were bent, one badly enough to crack the tube. Found replacements from a '77 125CR on Ebay for $100. The parts manual and shop manual found on this site have been very helpful in assisting me on my quest for another Husky to ride.
    I chose to paint vs powder coat only because of the cost. If I had the extra bucks,powder coat would have been a "no brainer". At some future time it may happen but I want to ride this bike and enjoy it , not be scared to get it dirty ! I hope I have been of some help.
  18. Max R Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Is the wire yellow ? I seem to remember a short yellow wire in addition to the ones going to the coil. It is a lighting voltage source.
  19. Binx Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1976 175 GP
    Other Motorcycles:
    Max - I'm a couple of steps behind you in the restoration process so your info is invaluable. First order of business was to see if mine would start. Soaked the Amal, cleaned the jets, replaced the mouse nest with a New Uni air filter and the bike fired up on second kick. It now fires on first or second kick every time. Was able to ride the bike but only got to check first and second gear. Was not interested in going any faster on flat tires and only one rear shock.

Front forks are cosmetically in
    fine shape but collapse with no rebound at all. I think my forks may have an after-market kit from Fox Forx.

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=...3021194j0j7&sourceid=chrome&es_sm=93&ie=UTF-8

I will eventually need all new cables. Were your original cables good? Or did you replace? If you replaced where did you get the new ones?

Finally - that second wire coming out of the engine case near the magneto wire is indeed intended for lighting. Got that info from several other posters.
  20. Binx Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1976 175 GP
    Other Motorcycles:
    I think previous owner was running a mouse nest instead of usual Twin Air or Uni filter. Possible this was a trick race mod back in the day?

image.jpg
    oldbikedude, Max R and kanur like this.