1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

1976-1/2 250CR 1 of 2

Discussion in 'Vintage Restoration Projects' started by MarkT, Sep 25, 2015.

1. MarkT Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1976 1/2 250CR x2
    Other Motorcycles:
    Several vintage Yamahas
    So I recently scored a pair of 76-1/2 250 CR's just like my first brand new motorcycle! The previous owner says they were stored inside...

I'm starting with the "higher mileage" of the two bikes. I plan on getting them both restored to rideable condition. I'm planning on keeping the original patina as much as possible so I guess these will be mostly "soap and water" restorations.

Pics of Bike #1:

DSCN2099.jpg

DSCN2100.jpg

Looking at the old pictures of my bike... the pictures in the original 1976 brochure I still have, and the fact that the brake cable seems way long... I believe the front brake is on the wrong side. The original owner says the front wheel has never been off the bike and it was assembled that way when he bought it new. Can anyone confirm the correct front brake location on a 1976-1/2? (I know in '75 the brake was on the right but I think they went to the left in 1976?)

2. MarkT Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1976 1/2 250CR x2
    Other Motorcycles:
    Several vintage Yamahas
    Also, a few days after I bought the bikes the seller called and told me he found the manual for the bike in a drawer in his garage... also included was part of the tool kit. I still had a few of the original tools from my 1976. Does anyone know if the tool kit is now complete?

DSCN2104.jpg
  3. MarkT Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1976 1/2 250CR x2
    Other Motorcycles:
    Several vintage Yamahas
    A little bit of progress... bike feels like it has good compression. View into exhaust port looks great!

DSCN2101 husky 2 piston.jpg

I'm going to remove the flange and see if I can align it a little better.

Bing carb was a little grungy but luckily not corroded inside. Last gas it had in it was probably before ethanol was added. Cleaning it up in my little Harbor Freight ultrasonic cleaner.

Pressure test is next. My seals and gasket kit from John at Vintage Husky got here yesterday so I hopefully have what I need to fix any leaks. Hopefully the cases won't need splitting!

Clutch was not releasing at first but I zip-tied the lever to the handlebar overnight and seems fine now. :applause:

Need to drain the trans and see what comes out...
  4. Richard Colahan Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    71 250 Cross, 74 125WR, 75 250WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    Vintage British bikes, 1969 Penton
    Bike looks in great condition!

I'd suggest Type F ATF for that clutch/transmission...but you may want to pull the clutch apart anyway just to check it over and de-gum the plates
    Type F has worked well for me for over 40 years
    MarkT likes this.
  5. hvaloz2 Husqvarna
    AA Class

my 78 came with an exhaust spring puller as well !
    MarkT likes this.
  6. MarkT Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1976 1/2 250CR x2
    Other Motorcycles:
    Several vintage Yamahas
    I don't remember an exhaust spring puller in the kit of my original 1976 but that was a long time ago. ;)

I remember having a spring puller similar to the one in the photo below but I thought it was one that I bought from the Yamaha dealer?
    They sold them on a display card on the counter? Came with springs I think? Did the Husky one look like that one?

I'll have to do some looking around my Dad's house next visit and research the Internet for photos. If I had one, it might still be around someplace. Thanks!

spring tool.JPG
  7. kanur Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1976 175 GP
    Other Motorcycles:
    Pentons & KTMs
    Nice find, it looks like new almost
    markt2 likes this.
  8. markt2 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1976 250CR (times 2)
    Other Motorcycles:
    Several vintage Yamahas
    Pressure testing the engine resulted in the intake gaskets leaking like a sieve... once I replaced the gaskets I found one more small leak at the seal retainer plate behind the magneto. All sealed up good and tight and holds pressure and vacuum for hours with almost zero loss. :thumbsup:

Pulled the clutch cover and it looks like new inside... new gasket and it's back together.

DSCN2108.JPG
  9. markt2 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1976 250CR (times 2)
    Other Motorcycles:
    Several vintage Yamahas
    Back on my original 1976 I went through shifter seals/bushings quite regularly. In late '77 Dave in the service department at Malcolm Smith motorcycles suggested I upgrade to the 1978 kick start lever. The problem is the 1976 style lever hits the shifter at full down stroke as seen in this picture: DSCN2126.JPG

So I went looking for a later model kick lever. That's when I found out the later "offset" style tended to crack and break at the knuckle and finding a good one can be expensive and difficult... and I wanted to find two!

I saw one that was almost completely broken go for over $100 on ebay! I kept my eyes open and saw an ebay listing for the kick start lever but the pictures were of the shift lever. Description was clearly for the kick start lever stating the knuckle was good, no slop, splines good, etc. There were a lot of pictures. When I scrolled through the pictures, the last ones were of a kick start lever that looked great! I sent the seller a note and used the buy it now for $79. The seller responded and confirmed most of the pictures were wrong and he would be sending the kick start lever! :applause:

It was in great condition... after a little cleaning and a fresh coat of paint I was one step closer to putting together the bike I wanted.

DSCN2124.JPG
  10. markt2 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1976 250CR (times 2)
    Other Motorcycles:
    Several vintage Yamahas
    I have the original cables in good condition... but this one is a going to be a rider so I wanted to replace them and save the originals. The problem was that there are some slight differences in the clutch and brake cables through those years... and while they could "work" they weren't exactly right.

Matt Hilgenberg at Speed and Sport to the rescue! Matt sent me the clutch and brake cables which were a little long and a couple of new ends. I trimmed the housings and inner cables to the exact original length, new end, and a quick dip in the solder pot and the cables were done!

DSCN2110.JPG DSCN2111.JPG DSCN2123.JPG
  11. markt2 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1976 250CR (times 2)
    Other Motorcycles:
    Several vintage Yamahas
    The original Gas Girlings were still on the bike. The biggest improvement I made on my original 76 was to replace the rear springs with some lighter S&W springs. The original springs might have been fine for someone super fast like Mikkola, but for someone like me they were way too stiff.

I'm not sure I could find lighter springs these days and I'm sure the seals in the non-rebuildable Girlings weren't in great condition after all these years...

So I decided to go first class. My buddy Scott (Chayzed Pilot) came up with a set of Curnutts that he rebuilt to be as-new. For those of you that don't know Scott, he worked for Curnutt back in the day and is a CURNUTT shock/suspension expert.

DSCN2127.JPG

Thanks Scott!!! :cheers:

12. Chayzed Pilot Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2004 TC450,1978 390CR,1983 430 Wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    A gaggle of them
    Thanks Mark, but to clarify, I know Curnutts and that's all I want to do. Suspension expert?......not really, I know enough to get me by. I'm thinking about delving into modern stuff soon.
  13. markt2 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1976 250CR (times 2)
    Other Motorcycles:
    Several vintage Yamahas
    In my opinion you're being a little modest Scott... I updated my post.... :cheers: