1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

1974 400WR Ignition

Discussion in 'Vintage Restoration Projects' started by jack topper, Sep 25, 2016.

1. jack topper Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1974 400WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    honda, yamaha, suzuki, Indian, Kawas
    Hi folks! I'm new to this forum - all forums, really - so I hope you canl bear with me.

I've been carrying this 400 around for 38 years and have decided to put it back to running condition now that I'm about to retire. It has a Femsa magneto and Bosch coil; no kill button. I don't remember how it was wired, but the black lead is original, short, and has a terminal lug on it. It looked like a ground to me, so that's where I put it. The white lead in the photo is coming from the magneto. I was able to find some stranded copper cored bumblebee wire, and temporarily put a resistor-type NGK plug cap on it until I can get a non-resistor version. I do get a spark when I kick it over, but it seems weak and somewhat red in color. Have I got it wrong somehow? Any wisdom or advice would be very welcome!

Now if I can just figure out how to upload the photo!
  2. jack topper Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1974 400WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    Here's the photo...

Attached Files:

3. suprize Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR 400, bike in a box Moto Villa 350
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm 300
    38 years!!! well done...sorry cant help with the sparks... keep the story on the bike going tho:popcorn:
  4. stormer254 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    More than I dare let her know
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yes!
    Fit a new condenser, a car one is fine, fit up by the coil it reduce the heat and vibration.
    SteveJ likes this.
  5. SteveJ Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1970 400 Cross, 1983 500 CR
    Other Motorcycles:
    84 Honda CR500R, 81 Honda CBX,
    Yes, black to ground as you have it. Kill switch will tie into the white wire you have coming from the magneto, just grounds the wire when button is pushed. Point gap should be .016 inches (spec is .014 to .018). New points and condenser, then if you still have weak spark, try a universal coil, running one on mine, works perfectly. As noted by Stormer, I also have the condenser mounted under the fuel tank. I'll get you a link to my service manual which you will be able to download, but won't be able to until this evening.
    Steve
  6. jack topper Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1974 400WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    SteveJ & Stormer254: Thanks for the input - that helps. Looking forward to the link to the service manual; I don't have one and none of the links in the vintage parts & tech ref section seem to work for me - at least not the ones that pertain to the 74 WR400...
    JT
  7. stormer254 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    More than I dare let her know
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yes!
  8. SteveJ Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1970 400 Cross, 1983 500 CR
    Other Motorcycles:
    84 Honda CR500R, 81 Honda CBX,
    Yes, the 68-74 workshop manual is included in the link stormer254 posted. it has a section specific to the Femsa mag. If you also click the 67-79 parts manual folder, you'll find a parts manual for your 1974 WR. If you have any problem with the links, let me know.
  9. jack topper Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1974 400WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    Thanks much guys. I'll download and print. Looks like this might be a slow overhaul process. Fortunately, I had the engine rebuilt right after it got drowned - just never seemed to find the time to put it all back together. I wonder how many parts fell out of the basket during a dozen moves since 1978...:rolleyes:
  10. jack topper Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1974 400WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    Hi folks... Moving down the line on the rebuild. I've got decent spark now, but am concerned about the condition of the seals. Everything in the crankcase was put in new, and it's never been run or had any fluids put in it, but it's been sitting in a basket since '78. Probably need to do at least a pressure test, eh? Maybe split cases? Any/all advice welcome.

Does anyone know where I can source four of the rubber T-bushings used in the front fender mount? I got a set of mounting hardware from Rick Horvat at Husky Outlet, but his kit only included socket head cap screws, nylock nuts, flat washers and rubber flat washers - no T-bushings. I think the fender will flop around without 'em. The bushing's barrel appears to be 11 mm OD x 6 mm ID x 18 mm L; the flange is about 14 mm OD x 6 mm ID x 3.2 mm in "thickness". I found a place on the Web to have them made, but they want a 10,000 piece minimum order!

Thanks in advance...
    JT
  11. suprize Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR 400, bike in a box Moto Villa 350
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm 300
    crank seals are a risk reward issue...if you risk them and they fail, no reward:mad: if they fail at full throttle, you could on the worst case scenario, seize your piston and big end. You pay out the reward to the engine man. what is it to remove the motor..1 hr of your time? another half to rip the top end down and the clutch off..500 buck for a strip and seal replace at your favourite mr Mc Hanics?. well worth it I rekon. Total piece of mind knowing you don't have 38 year old bits of nylon holding things together.