1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

1973 CR400 Starting Problem

Discussion in 'Vintage/Left Kickers' started by Hockeylife, Aug 30, 2017.

1. Hockeylife Husqvarna
    AA Class

Hi, project bike been working on and off last 3 years. Ran before refresh. Just finished the tank last weekend, so only then have I attempted to start. I blasted the frame, Nason automotive paint for frame, silver bits. Last weekend I went back and removed front engine mounts to improve ground and removed paint on the coil mount as well. Tried to start then and today....no luck. Between both days had 1 pop when kicking, otherwise dead. I did not split the cases, only hone and rings on top. I think 9es plug, .024 gap. I took carb apart, cleaned thoroughly. Not sure proper adjustments though?? Non-ethanol 91 gas.
    Hated to, but yes tickled the carb...no start. Removed plug...seems dry.
    Any thoughts/ideas appreciated in advance. Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. Up-tite Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Push tickler until gas runs out of overflow, the get behind back of bike lift up as high as possible for a few seconds, then kick it.
    Later George
  3. squid on a 300 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    72 WR 250 79 CR 250
    Other Motorcycles:
    GAS GAS 300 Trials 2 KTMs 2 Hodakas
    like george said above need to charge the crank with fuel....tickle it till is running out good..put it in 4 gear open the throttle and it roll forward it to charge the crank with fuel...my 250 likes to be started that way
  4. Hockeylife Husqvarna
    AA Class

Thanks guys, tried all with no luck. When I check for spark i don't consistent get spark when I kick it. In all the kicking, bumping I've only gotten 1 pop. I even tried some gas down the plug hole, starting fluid at carb.
    Any other ideas? Thanks
  5. silverstreakNZ Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82cr500,76gp360,90wr250,81 420AXC
    Other Motorcycles:
    74 tm400 , 02 gasgas ec 300
    Have you tried crash starting it ?
  6. Hockeylife Husqvarna
    AA Class

Well, still no luck. I'm moving cross country in a couple weeks and the bike is not coming with me. Any idea value of bike non-running verses running? Thanks
  7. Hockeylife Husqvarna
    AA Class

Hi, I removed the ignition side cover and found the flywheel nut not tight. Could I have messed the timing up just by kicking, though it never started, with a loose nut? Or is there a woodruff key? Lost, used to mikuni and old Suzuki's.
  8. squid on a 300 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    72 WR 250 79 CR 250
    Other Motorcycles:
    GAS GAS 300 Trials 2 KTMs 2 Hodakas
    yes and yes...had the same problem..PO did not tighten flywheel nut and it sheered the key...check your timing...if way off the key is sheered...pull the flywheel and replace the key...
    Where are you located?