1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

1973 CR250 triple clamp steering Bearings

Discussion in 'Vintage Restoration Projects' started by spaceace182, Jul 31, 2016.

1. spaceace182 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1973 250cc CR
    Can anyone tell me what type/size bearings are used in the steering shaft of this model year??? I cannot find it anywhere. And to take it a step futher, are there upgrade kits to convert it to roller bearings instead?
  2. Eric The Leg Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1986 WR400, 1985 WRX400, 1979 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    83 Kawasaki KZ 440
    On the parts diagram it looks like roller type/taper bearing to me.
    You could pull it apart and look for part numbers on the bearings and retaining rings. There's enough grease around them that unless it's been sitting out in weather, the part numbers are still there (and may still be available from the manufacturer, likely Timkin). If you can't find part numbers, you could get out your micrometer and/or take what you do pull out to your local bearing shop. Usually if they don't have it or can't get it (in the quantity you desire), they can at-least give you a part number that you can try googling.
  3. spaceace182 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1973 250cc CR
    Ok I have a pic of the bearing, and it is nothing like a roller of taper bearing. It has part number S 1020 and it says Star opposite of part number. Pic of bearing below. image.jpeg
  4. spaceace182 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1973 250cc CR
    And if you know of an upgrade kit to better timkin type roller bearing I'm all ears. These bearings seem cheap and weak.
  5. jimspac Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR, 82 430WR, 84 250WR, 85 400
    Other Motorcycles:
    86 400WR, 82 Montesa Cota 349
    Measure the balls, get round ones from a bicycle dealer, pack them in heavy bearing grease, and put it back together. All the pre timken Huskys I had never had cages but then who really knows what POs really think sometimes. In all fairness I never had a problem without them as the races cup them in very well.

I am creating my own kit to convert a couple of older frames I have but not going to market it
  6. spaceace182 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1973 250cc CR
    Hey Jim thanks for the little trick! That's awesome! I will get some good thick and tacky grease and do just that! Yeah baring I do a total triple clamp upgrade to get the good timkin roller bearings.... Want to keep everything as original as possible. Thanks again
  7. spaceace182 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1973 250cc CR
    Hey Jim let me know how the conversion kit turns out. I may want to know how you made them and they same for mine!
  8. jimspac Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR, 82 430WR, 84 250WR, 85 400
    Other Motorcycles:
    86 400WR, 82 Montesa Cota 349
    Because I have welders they will not have the necks to press into the frame. I will weld together face to face as I do not have enough 4340 stock to have necks on them. I will make guide posts to pull together and locate concentric within the steering neck.