1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

1973 400 CR

Discussion in 'Vintage Restoration Projects' started by Picklito, Aug 6, 2013.

1. retro rocket Husqvarna
    AA Class

2. Picklito Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    430, 430, 430, ,400, 175
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM250xc, KTM500mx, KTM440exc
    Are you kidding me? Your thread is my inspiration! My reference! The Standard!
  3. Picklito Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    430, 430, 430, ,400, 175
    Other Motorcycles:
    It's been a while, mostly due to our favorite four-letter-word... work. Here's where she sits right now. Wheels are loose laced, and the top end has been buttoned up.

IMG_2117.jpg

Shiny piston in a fresh bore. Polished exhaust, did not polish intake.

IMG_2121.jpg

Swapping to the splined C/S requires a different size seal and a spacer. Had the spacer made from stainless, with an inner bevel to locate an O-ring.

IMG_2124.jpg

And there she is.

IMG_2123.jpg
  4. Picklito Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    430, 430, 430, ,400, 175
    Other Motorcycles:
    One thing you do NOT want to do, is throw all your disassembled wheel parts into your general box of wheel spares! It took me forever to figure out which spacers went where. But I got it all figured out. Correct clearances and the brake plate moves smoothly.

IMG_2130.jpg

I mentioned previously that I had to move the engine 3mm toward the left side, both to get fresh metal at the buggered mounts, and to make a little more chain clearance inside the right shock. So I did the same at the rear axle to keep the sprockets lined up. Used two 1.5mm shims as a trial, but it came out so well we're just gonna RUN IT!! Maybe I'll make a new/proper one-piece spacer in the future. Fewer parts are always better.

IMG_2131.jpg

IMG_2132.jpg

Then the left side OE spacer was trimmed to fit.

IMG_2135.jpg
    Chayzed Pilot likes this.
  5. Crashaholic Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    73 450WR 6spd motor in a 75 MK frame
    Wow, its looking nice. All the fresh mechanical stuff will make it feel like a new bike. Regarding the relocation of the rear wheel, have you mounted the brake backing plate control arm to see if it moves smoothly when the rear suspension moves through its full range? 3mm isn't much of a move for the rear wheel but you'll never know until you test it.
  6. dartyppyt Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    17 TE 150, 82CR 500
    Other Motorcycles:
    82 125,250,430&500 79 390 83 250
    Picklito, nice job! A+ work.
  7. kwacker Husqvarna
    AA Class

What silver paint did you use ? Im looking for 1973 250 wr paint code
  8. Crashaholic Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    73 450WR 6spd motor in a 75 MK frame
    kwacker, early in this thread it was said the paint was done by John at Vintage Husky and I haven't had any luck getting his formula from him. But when I talked to another vintage Husky owner a couple months back he said he had bike parts painted with Vintage Husky's color and some other parts painted with the attached formula and they were virtually the same. Who knows maybe John uses this formula.

Attached Files:

9. Picklito Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    430, 430, 430, ,400, 175
    Other Motorcycles:
  10. schimmelaw Husqvarna
    AA Class

Pick,
    Very cool project you got going there. I'm watching.
    Rick
  11. Chayzed Pilot Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2004 TC450,1978 390CR,1983 430 Wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    A gaggle of them
    If the paint that John used on your frame (which I doubt) is the same as what he was sold me and my buddy years ago it is a NAPA rattle can. We pulled off his sticker to reveal the NAPA label. Maybe that is what he was selling through the mail and was a match to the paint he uses. I would assume on his resto's he is using paint through a gun.
  12. Picklito Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    430, 430, 430, ,400, 175
    Other Motorcycles:
    Sorry guys/gals. I dropped the ball due to some increased work load. I'll not complain, rather be happy that I have a job! We are back on track.

IMG_2328.jpg
  13. GaryM Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1981 430cr second 430 CR 500cr
    Other Motorcycles:
    1981 490 Maico
    This is a reference for all. Here is a couple photos of the Husky Club Paint code with fresh coats applied on frame. Used DuPont top of line base and clear over epoxy primer

Real pleased with paint color. Photos shown are before wet sanding and buffing.

Of course I have found a new real high impact Hard Clear available from Tamco
    and I would have used it instead, but its high priced. Will use it next. Its expensive.

This project has two primer coats, two light and third thicker color coat, two clear coats.

Oh waiting on first rock hit !

Attached Files:

14. Picklito Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    430, 430, 430, ,400, 175
    Other Motorcycles:
    Thanks GaryM! Good info and a very nice looking frame. I like your hanger bolt, too!
    Got out into the shop today and FINALLY built an Ohlins mock-up that I think I can live with. Good ride height and exactly 4" of travel. The bottoming bumper in this photo is intentionally short, as AHRMA includes part of the bumper travel in your allowed 4". So I tried to use one that represents a FULL maxed out bottomed out smashed the bumper OMG that jump was WAAAAAY bigger than I thought scenario. Actual bumper is longer.

photo.jpg
  15. dartyppyt Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    17 TE 150, 82CR 500
    Other Motorcycles:
    Looks good now I'm wanting one of those old beauties!
  16. GaryM Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1981 430cr second 430 CR 500cr
    Other Motorcycles:
    1981 490 Maico
    Did you all think John used the Husky club formula on your frame ? Its seems to be the same.
  17. mike328 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Nice job...looking great keep up the posts.
    Don't worry about the frame paint, I too had frames painted by John at Vintage Husky.
    I also scratched them. I used an air brush to touch up the 'oooops'... Of course mask off/cover the areas you don't want painted.

I sourced the paint here: http://cyclecolor.com/

I also obtained the reducer from that site.

I was really bummed when I was 'rinsing' my Freshly painted/refinished 400 tank (with gas/sloshing around a small amount) and dropped it on the edge breaking the weld. John fixed it and was probably shaking his head & lol @ me..

Keep up the good work
  18. dartyppyt Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    17 TE 150, 82CR 500
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yeah! What happened to this gem?

What's the chances of getting a mural of a newer Husky, embedded in the chrome of an older one?
  19. Picklito Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    430, 430, 430, ,400, 175
    Other Motorcycles:
    That photo was unintentional, but it sure is cool! Sorta like finding a ghost in a photograph. Ok... maybe not like that... cuz that's creepy!
  20. jimspac Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR, 82 430WR, 84 250WR, 85 400
    Other Motorcycles:
    86 400WR, 82 Montesa Cota 349
    Cool, like a view into the future