1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

1970 400 Cross

Discussion in 'Vintage Restoration Projects' started by yield2me, Mar 23, 2015.

1. yield2me Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1970 400 Cross 1976 360 WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM, Kawasaki
    Just finished her up for NORRA

Not really a "resto" but complete tear down, new forks, billet rear shocks, fresh engine.

Still has original MSR desert tank (and untouched original Tank), Malcolm Smith skid plate, and Malcolm smith leather tool pounch for the rear fender.

Enjoy!

Rob

Attached Files:

Crashaholic and adam6402 like this.
  2. Huskynoobee CH Sponsor ZipTy Racing

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449 2006 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    HDUltra Classic IT200 YZ250 SV650s
    Ok, I'll bump it as just found it over here too. Please post those pics from the other thread and any more you haven't posted!
  3. yield2me Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM, Kawasaki
    We were running 5th overall (including new bikes) through about 800 miles. The Bing carb started having issues on day 4. I stopped for a down rider (compound fracture) and timed out on that stage, which caused us to miss the cut-off for the last stage to La Paz before the trucks came. We still ride it the 120 miles in.

We had to remove the air cleaner to keep it running in the last 70 miles of day 5 into cabo, and it ended up seizing a few miles from the finish.

We made it though! It is such a handful to ride! lol
    Rob
    Bodger, rwgregory and 454x like this.
  4. Crashaholic Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    73 450WR 6spd motor in a 75 MK frame
    What a ride one thousand miles would be on a 45 year old dirt bike knowing what modern day technology was capable of. Back in the day the guys that raced Baja didn't know any better but to ride a 70 400 today 1000 miles would be quite an experience, especially knowing how plush and powerful modern bikes are.

I wonder what caused it to have problems and subsequently seize. An air leak in the intake or base gasket is what comes to mind especially since the carb wouldn't work properly with the air cleaner in place.

Any pictures of the bike after 1000 miles of desert?
  5. grouty Auto Lover ...

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    78 390WR, 78 390 AMX, 500 Humph
    Other Motorcycles:
    works 73 CCM 520, another 73 CCM520
    I would guess the air filter had clogged with dust and was stopping the motor from running. Removing it solved that issue, but then allowed the dust straight into the motor, eventually causing it's demise.
    But 1000 miles in that heat and dust on a 1970 Husky ..... you and the team deserve a medal !
  6. Crashaholic Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Surely they tried to cleaned the filter before finding out that wasn't the problem.............but yet you never know. Also wouldn't dust just grind up the ring and sleeve causing a loss of compression rather than causing the piston to seize? With as many bikes as George at Uptite has worked on over the decades I bet he's seen the result of not running an adequate air cleaner.[/quote][/quote]
  7. loony888 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    400 CR0SS
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati's
    no air cleaner would make the A/F mixture leaner i would have thought, and at high rpm for extended periods seizure sounds about right to me.
    Bodger and justintendo like this.
  8. yield2me Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM, Kawasaki
    The carb was flooding out or something and saturating the air cleaner with fuel. This would cause it to NOT idle but run wide open just fine. The opposite of a "clogged" air cleaner. And why none of us thought about the root cause.

So, it would run on the pipe great, then when we would let off the gas for corner, or check point, or whatever, it would die. Then, the rider would kick it about 1000 times before it would fire again.

Every night, we would adjust the float, or mess with the jetting, or whatever....and clean and swap the air filters...so everyday at the start, it would fire on the first kick, and we thought we had it it fixed! Nope.

It was an accident that we figured it out, and by then it was day 5 and we had wasted so much time troubleshooting it, we finally had to pull the air cleaner and go for it.

I'll try to find a pic of it at the finish. Still looked great. I don't think any of us crashed.

It was a lot of fun, and EVERYONE loved the bike!

Pic of me that was in this issue of dirt sports.
    Bodger likes this.
  9. yield2me Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM, Kawasaki
    Oh, it's got a Mikuni on it now! Lol
  10. yield2me Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM, Kawasaki
    Pic from the mag, and the actual pic

Attached Files:

manu, Crashaholic and loony888 like this.
  11. yield2me Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM, Kawasaki
    And I know running with no air cleaner is dumb....I was on the chase bike with Kevin the last 70 miles and made the call. The sweep truck was right behind us, and we made time (with me pulling Kevina few miles with the chase bike, then handing the chase bike over to my 14 year old son, and he pulled me the last few blocks through Cabo, then I pushed it across the finish) by about 10 minutes. That's how close we were to DNF'ing officially.

Rob
  12. loony888 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    400 CR0SS
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati's
    If you're racing, whatever it takes to finish is not "dumb"! anything can be repaired after, claiming 2nd place may never be a possibility again, great thread!
  13. yield2me Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM, Kawasaki
    Decided to get her back together and race Norra in 2016. Making some improvements (carb, front forks, and new wheels) and going back to get my 1st place trophy!!

All post pics on here as the process starts if anyone is interested.

Rob
  14. grouty Auto Lover ...

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    78 390WR, 78 390 AMX, 500 Humph
    Other Motorcycles:
    works 73 CCM 520, another 73 CCM520
    Oh yes please :)
  15. loony888 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    400 CR0SS
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati's
    of course we're interested!
  16. yield2me Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM, Kawasaki
    OK..... Engine back from the builder, frame stripped down, primed and repainted, new black wheels getting laced up, new plastic (all of us signed each piece of plastic and took one home last year), and assembly has started!

I am also building a sweet 1997 KX 250 to run in the 2 Stroke only class.

Plus, a friend of mine and me are racing his 2014 KTM 500 in the Modern class!

Yes, we are taking three bikes down and a total of 9 riders including my 15 year old son!

Pics are coming!
    Bodger and robertaccio like this.
  17. yield2me Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM, Kawasaki
    Also,

I searched around and found that 74-76 forks are the best to use, so I found a beat up pair and sent them to Vintage Husky to get re-worked. I guess this will probably be the single biggest improvement on the old girl!!
    Bodger likes this.
  18. yield2me Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM, Kawasaki
    Pics.

I love the way the kx250 (now a kx300!!) is turning out!

Attached Files:

Bodger likes this.
  19. yield2me Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM, Kawasaki
    I am writing a book called "A Thousand Miles of Dust" documenting the 2015 and 2016 NORRA races on my Husky. It also includes some desert racing history, how a kid from Missouri got in to it all, Building of the bikes, and some pretty funny stories. My other book (Fiction) is e-book only, but I will get this one published with lots of full color pics!

if anyone is interested, I created a Facebook page called "Vintage Husky's" I would love to have more pics on there! I know I am not the only one who likes these old bikes!!

Rob
    Bodger and robertaccio like this.
  20. Crashaholic Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle: