1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Austria - About 2014 & Newer
    TE = 2st Enduro & TC = 2st Cross

TE/TC '17 TX300 Time to dump the Lectron?

Discussion in '2st' started by Cosmokenney, Dec 4, 2017.

1. Cosmokenney Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '17 TX300
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha FZ-09
    Finally got out and rode the bike yesterday. Temps were much warmer (60s) and I have to say the bike is running awesome. I went 1/4 turn leaner on the rod, no adjustment necessary on the power jet.
    No more blubbering from idle to 1/8 throttle. Power delivery still smooth, and linear. I've got power that is more like a 300 now. However like many have said about the new motors, the bottom end grunt is a little lacking. But I don't don't know if I want to change it. I can handle the technical stuff much better given the slow build up to max power. Yesterday I rode up stuff that usually makes my butt pucker.

In fact there was a long off-camber rocky/rooty steep uphill with step-ups follow by roots right where you front wheel lands after going up the step-up, followed by moss covered off-camber rocks. A bunch of mountain bikers were coming down and stopped to walk their bike through the section. I came up right when they were at the nastiest section and rode right up it and stopped after. They all started cheering and hi-fived me.

My suspension has a lot to do with the ease of making up some of the rocky rooty stuff too. After I lost 25 pounds I started playing with the clickers some more. I also went from 148 psi in the forks to 143. And took out a lot of comp front & rear. And she just floats over everything with little to no deflection. It's really confidence inspiring now.
    NH-JP, Kam1, NCSteve and 1 other person like this.
  2. Cosmokenney Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '17 TX300
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha FZ-09
    As for the bottom end power, I may go over to a gnarly pipe or shaved head at some point, but right now I'm kinda broke. Trying to save up for a 60 gal air compressor. And I just committed to a pure bred Vizsla puppy, can't believe how much they cost.
    bax3, reveille and LandofMotards like this.
  3. katoom400 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2017 TX300
    I just picked up a low hour 17 TX300. The previous owner bought a Lectron 38 (non HV) from Slavens as soon as he got it, It came with the 2-3xl metering rod, and he could never get any bottom end out of it (at 1000' ASL). He ended up never really riding it (only 10hrs) and sold it to me a year later with the Mikuni w/jd kit installed, but included the Lectron in the sale.

I haven't had a chance to get a real ride on the bike as it sits with the JD\Mikuni yet, but it feels fine going up and down the road. (I know that's no test).

I called Lectron and they will do the HV mod and set it up with the 5-1 metering rod for ~$100 including shipping. My question is if I do try the Lectron do I need the HV mod? what exactly does the "High Velocity" give you? I'm a slow rocky technical single track rider and would want low end torque over high rpm power. all of our stuff is slow and tight and I like to lug vs being on the pipe.
  4. reveille Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    2015 300 XC W
    Put a 3-2xl in it for 30 bucks. The 2-3 is too rich on the bottom from my experience. What elevation do you ride?
  5. katoom400 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2017 TX300
    around 1000'
  6. 56on449 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Summer: Ontario, Canada / Winter: Arizona, USA
    Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2017 TX300
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 BMW R1200GS
    I have the HV Lectron with a 4-2 metering rod. Right out of the box, it had a slight burble off idle, 1/4 turn leaner on the metering rod and it runs great. I would recommend you let Lectron do the set up and work with them to achieve what you are looking for. The customer service is great. It is so smooth, I have switched to the red PV spring. Lots of linear power!
    NCSteve likes this.
  7. Cosmokenney Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '17 TX300
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha FZ-09
    The HV mod supposedly makes the carb work better with the new counter-balanced motors. Be real careful about the people on this site that give lectron or carb tuning advice, but have pre-2017 bikes that are not counter balanced. Those motors are different. Period.
    I am absolutely loving the motor now with the 5-1 rod. It is definitely not as strong as my previous WR300 on the very bottom, but it's easier to ride. Better in technical terrain because the power doesn't come on instantly like it did with my old bike. And since these things don't stall, you can get traction in places other people won't by just lugging it at such a low rpm that its mind boggling. Once you are past the very bottom end the 300 power is there. I have no problem lifting the front wheel in third gear at speed with a twist of the wrist.

If I end up wanting that crazy 300 instant off-idle power I think I'll go to a gnarly pipe or I'll get the head shaved a little. But honestly it's so good now I don't think that's going to happen. Combine that with a crazy good suspension and I'm in a pretty happy place right now.
  8. Cosmokenney Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '17 TX300
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha FZ-09
    BTW, did you drink the airbox mod cool aide like I did? I think that's why I had such an odd jetting set up. When at idle and just above it is getting too much gas. But with the airbox opened up, it can really suck in some air once you get past idle.
  9. 56on449 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Summer: Ontario, Canada / Winter: Arizona, USA
    Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2017 TX300
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 BMW R1200GS
    After installing the Lectron, I never felt the need to modify the air box.
    hakkalugi likes this.
  10. eddychecker Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TCX250 & 2013 TE300
    Other Motorcycles:
    2008 KTM 450XCW

Here in the Midwest, the elevations we ride are slightly less but I run a 3-1xl in my 2013 TE300 and it works great. No spooge, plenty of hit and great mileage.
    NCSteve likes this.
  11. NCSteve Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    12 WR300 13 WR165
    Other Motorcycles:
    02 XR250R 00 XR100R
    While that may be true to a degree the same basics seem to apply. That is, 2t like it lean on the bottom and rich on top. And there's enough variation, even between the same models, that we can only discuss and advise on the basics. Here we have 2 2017 TX300, 1 is great with 5-1 xl rod and the other likes 4-2xl. Then we get a red 4banger that likes 3-1xl which is what my 165 likes. Point is it's all trial and error to see what works for a given situation. Any love is good lovin' and all advise has some value...hopefully.

:cheers:
    eddychecker likes this.