12V Power Tap on Your TR650

Discussion in 'TR650' started by run-it, Aug 3, 2013.

1. run-it Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    '04 Guzzi V11
    Has anyone found a 5VDC power supply to power up GPS or phones or whatever yet? I've seen talk about one but does it exist?
  2. krussell Strada Adventurer

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Strada (for sale)
    Other Motorcycles:
    K1600 / Super Tenere
    http://www.opussolutions.com/product/170/DCL_11__15W_.html#specifications

$40, and a bit of overkill for running an iphone, but I'm a big fan, especially if you are going to run more than one device.. I've used them to run 5V single board computers on a couple of bikes without issue. They work great for USB. Another option a lot of folks take is to buy a $20 lighter plug and tear it apart.
  3. msmith345 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '12 WR250, '92 360, '80 390
    Other Motorcycles:
    '72 Yamaha R5, '17 SV650
    In the headlight cowl, the accessory plug there is 5V.

I went the "recycled" car charger route. It's in an Altoids mini can inside my tankbag...the one end of it is wired to a powerlet right angle plug.
  4. run-it Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    '04 Guzzi V11
    Maybe I'm missing something but is this 5V supply in the cowl usable? Why are guys using 12v to 5V convertors if there's already a 5V source on the bike?
  5. msmith345 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '12 WR250, '92 360, '80 390
    Other Motorcycles:
    '72 Yamaha R5, '17 SV650
    For me, it's more convenient and to have my accessories on completely separate circuits from the stock harness -- I knew I'd need a 12v outlet for other needs and the 5v isn't used all the time for cell phone charging -- GPSs are for the unadventurous ;-) Also, no one seemed to be able to source plugs that work on the accessories ports on the bike. I waited a few months trying to source something to just plug it in, but didn't pan out.
  6. Lekolite Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650 Strada
    The accessory plug is a 5volt supply. The problem is that many electronics require the use of their specific power adapter in order to work. These don't simply provide a step down from 12 to 5 volts but often supply minor current along secondary pins to tell the GPS unit or iphone, that it is OK to charge and at what pace. So, in short, we have been forced to use a 12v adapter powered by a 12v source. Luckily there is such a source with the same plug located on the electrical loom found on the right hand side of the bike. I hope that all made sense.
  7. Abby Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    PaulC and bluegopher like this.
  8. RuggedExposure Now with more rugged!

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    '08 Meanstreak 1600, '95 DR350
    Here is my take on a 12v power source:
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    TE250Guy and Dinosan like this.
  9. run-it Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    '04 Guzzi V11
    OK then a 5V adapter it is... appreciate the suggestions, I settled on an inexpensive but nicely done marine grade unit from Blue Sea... drilled inside headlight housing here...

[IMG]

Roughed up the surface & installed the 5V adapter, used a little glue to make sure things stay put...

[IMG]

Now it looks like this on the bike, nice inconspicuous spot & upside down to prevent water entry...

[IMG]

[IMG]

The Ram mount...

[IMG]

Finished...
    [IMG]
    PaulC, Coltx and bluegopher like this.
  10. nev.. Terrarist

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '13 TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    '14 XT1200ZE
    I like the plug location you chose. Very inconspicuous. How well does the micro-usb hang in (and keep a charging contact) in the real world with bumps and wind ?
  11. run-it Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    '04 Guzzi V11
    Haven't road tested yet but I'm certain that won't be an issue. It did cross my mind too :thumbsup: .

I don't think I can recommend the X-mount for off-road though. It may hold the GPS from flying off but due to it's design the mount fingers along with the GPS can rotate too easily (about 45 degrees) which means it would be difficult to read and/or you'd be fussing with it. :thumbsdown: Probably OK for on-road use. Magellan hasn't worked out so well either but it was a gift.
    Thehowell71 likes this.
  12. run-it Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    '04 Guzzi V11
    Updating this thread, I now use a Nexus 7 (an android tablet with a 7" screen) in a RAM cradle made specifically for it (not a universal job) for offline gps navigation.

The Blue Sea USB charger WON'T put out enough power to keep the N7 from discharging its battery!

Some have been successful at getting higher amp outputs by taking the USB unit apart & jumper the two center data pins (there are four pins total). But I don't know offhand if this will be enough power to keep the big N7 from using up its battery. :excuseme:

So if anyone plans on installing one of these - make sure your USB adapter will fill your needs BEFORE you drill like I did! :eek::rolleyes:;)

I'll come up with a fix but it's not a high priority right now.
  13. Greg Jetnikoff Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW F80R
    Leave it there, it should charge you phone ok.
    run-it likes this.
  14. RidingDonkeys Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    67 Bonnie, 68 Tiger, 11 Ural........

Or just swap it out for a single unit. Do you really need both ports?

Blue Sea doesn't make a single unit, but several rated at 1.6a are available.

http://www.amazon.com/Charger-Adapt...7THM/ref=aag_m_pw_dp?ie=UTF8&m=A3JHFA8958HW5J
  15. andretopi Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
  16. gullywasher Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha FZ6, Beta 300RR
    Haha. I'm glad someone bumped this thread. I am about to install some grip heaters and was hoping to get lucky and locate a stout switched power source in the cowl somewhere. Thanks Run-It, and I salute you, Mr. Ancient Thread Bumper Guy!
  17. drzcharlie Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Fayetteville, Arkansas with my Redheaded Mistress
    Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Burgman 650 (The Barcolounger)
    How about a step down regulator for the N7? And what app are you using for GPS? I use Locus.

https://www.superbrightleds.com/mor...G-WT__QscrXaG9Xr22111BEpOwBqr1MSNGBoCTyzw_wcB
  18. Mark_H Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TR 650 Strada; 2015 Nuda 900R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda XRM 125, Kawasaki Curve 115

The correct way to do it !
    I use FUZEBLOCKs on my bikes and do the same - they are not cheap but they are very safe !
  19. Kenneth Webb Livin' It Up!

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630 TR650 Terra TE310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha WR250R, GoldWing, Africa Twin
    Andretopi, I hate to steal Fab's THUNDER but those crash bars are one-offs built by Fab! And Fabulous they are!
    PaulC and nev.. like this.
  20. kiwiape Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Aprilia DD750
    From this I take it there is genuine heater grip set for TR650 is this correct...??, if so can someone provide more info on this please?