1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

'11 TE449, won't start hot

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by Plawa, May 25, 2016.

1. Plawa Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE449
    Other Motorcycles:
    R1200GS
    Title pretty much says it all, bike has around 2500 miles on it, regularly maintained, has JDJetting power commander. Cold starts are immediate, once it warm up I need to finagle the throttle to make it start, usually what work best is to open it wide and then let it snap back, at that point it sounds like it wants to start and sometimes will.

I'm also not getting very good mileage (~30mpg combined singletrack/fast gravel).. all that makes me think bike might be running rich. I've reset the power commander to defaults so it should be just passing the stock map, next thing I can try is to disable it completely.

Any other ideas for what I can try?

Thanks!
  2. norma stitz Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SMR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Nunya185
    Air filter clogged? Exhaust restriction? Obvious I know, RTV at the basics. Does sound rich. Mine has been doing this also lately, and I'm running PCV controller. I need to crack throttle a tiny bit to get it started.
  3. Plawa Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE449
    Other Motorcycles:
    R1200GS
    Air filter might be a good lead, I replaced the worn out stock filter with this one

http://www.amazon.com/Husqvarna-2010-13-Dirtbike-Filter-OCP-2984-AF0/dp/B00WVBRIO2

and I remember I could feel the difference in how the bike ran, it was more prone to bogging down when you gave it gas in low rpms instead of reving up freely like it did before. I regularly clean the filter (Arizona..) but I also have it oiled up so the air throughput might be severely reduced.

I'll get the stock filter from Halls, see what it does.
  4. Huskynoobee CH Sponsor ZipTy Racing

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449 2006 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    HDUltra Classic IT200 YZ250 SV650s
    The stock filter is made by twin air. What battery are you running? Mine needs a little throttle to start hot both with the JD and now with the PCV.
  5. Plawa Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE449
    Other Motorcycles:
    R1200GS
    It's embarrassing but the answer to my problem was in the question.. the bike was running too hot. I found a slow leak where one of my water hoses connected to the engine so I was low on coolant, took the hose off for inspection (no cracks), cleaned it, reseated it and so far so good. The bike now runs and starts as well as it ever did..
  6. Huskynoobee CH Sponsor ZipTy Racing

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449 2006 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    HDUltra Classic IT200 YZ250 SV650s
    That's a good thing. That means the temp sensor is working!