1.9 Million Acres in SE Utah (NEAR MOAB) Threatened by Monument Designation

Discussion in 'West - USA' started by siaknijustin, Jul 17, 2016.

1. siaknijustin Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    '05 GasGas EC300
    Fellow OHVers, I am asking for your help in preventing a monument designation in San Juan County, Utah. The proposed monument would lock us out of 1.9 million acres of public lands (3,000 square miles). I am an avid dirt biker and as such I ask for your support in opposing the designation of the Bears Ears National monument. We are a stones throw from Moab, Utah and hundreds of miles of single/two track are at stake. We don't want/need to lose more trails and us locals have far more at stake than just the recreational aspect of a monument designation. Please go here and sign the petition: https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/doodah-no-bears-ears-national-monument

I am going to cross post this on other forums as well (I posted this in the general forum as well). Please sign the petition and get the word out. Thanks for all your help!

edit: I just noticed that on the petition it states that there will be increased access. This doesn't pertain to motorized trails. It simply means that there will be an increase in tourist traffic to the existing roads and all the trash and vandalism that comes with them. I just wanted to clarify that line because the wording is confusing.
  2. juicypips Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr 360. 2002
    Other Motorcycles:
    Gas Gas TxT 300, Yamaha wr250f
    What monument is going up that's that size?!?
  3. siaknijustin Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    '05 GasGas EC300
    It's not a man made monument, it's a massive land grab by the federal government that protects the interests of environmentalists with little to no regard for any other interests.
  4. juicypips Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr 360. 2002
    Other Motorcycles:
    Gas Gas TxT 300, Yamaha wr250f
    Ahh I thought 3000 square miles that it going to be impressive like pyramids.
    Yup that sucks. Good luck with the petition.
  5. troy deck Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    87 250wr 12 cr125
    Other Motorcycles:
    kx65 ty80 rm80 kdx250
  6. Johnrg Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TE 310 R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati Sport Classic / Ducati Multi.
  7. siaknijustin Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    '05 GasGas EC300
    And they can also tell you whatever they'd like to drum up support for their cause with no intention of honoring their words. How many national monuments have you ridden trails on? Do you trust environmentalists and the Federal Government to have your best interests at heart (especially being from Kommiefornia)?

As it stands now the entire area is BLM and USFS without the red tape and fee areas that come with a monument.

I'll give you an example of how shady these people are:

Yesterday a meeting was held in Bluff, Utah with Sally Jewell, the Secretary of the Interior, to gather public opinion regarding a monument designation. The inter-tribal coalition of tribes backed by the EcoNazis bussed random people into the event with free food, lodging, and a pro-monument t-shirt to wear to the event. They were a random assortment of people from Texas, New Mexico and even one Mexican national who told us he was just trying to catch a ride to anywhere.
    When asked details about the monument they could only tell you that they were there in support of it but couldn't tell you the general direction of the lands in question. The were simply there to give an illusion of widespread support for the monument.
  8. Johnrg Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TE 310 R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati Sport Classic / Ducati Multi.
    I agree completely as far as monument designation and large groups sanctioning this without much background. Having lived in the NW and been a city councilman, I can tell you that decisions made, whatever they are, as a judicial or quasi judicial decision, are based upon evidence in the record. So letters submitted in the record that are detailing the issue are really important. That's why I went searching. That petition does not show any information. If all the real information "in record" is from certain sources, it needs to be countered in person or in writing. Even if just to say it's already being managed and a layer of enforcement of existing statutes (if there are any) need to be done, as opposed to a new designation and the "taking" of historic uses including ATV use, etc... I have no side or stake but one can win these things if all the data being used is in hand and people are prepared to work to stop it. Always a thankless situation. Been there and done that
  9. siaknijustin Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    '05 GasGas EC300
    I appreciate your input. PM sent.
    Johnrg likes this.