1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

125-200cc 09 WR125 finaly comes home...

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by Motosportz, Apr 20, 2009.

1. Norman Foley Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Trumansburg, NY... The Beautiful, Finger Lakes
    Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR 86 250WR 93 WXE350 03 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    '85 Fantic 300 '12 HUSABERG TE250
    No US spec '09 WR125 is supposed to leave the dealer with E3 spec jetting,needle and slide still in the carb. It's all with the light kit.
  2. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    So I got the kit and did the rejet. My needle is nothing like what was posted.

Here is what I had stock...

Main - 380
    Pilot - 15
    Needle - 6BFY 43-74 (2nd groove from top)
    Slide - 5.0

here is what I installed...

Main - 460
    Pilot - 40
    Needle - 6DEY 15-74 (3rd groove from top)
    Slide - 4.0

super useful info on needles here... http://www.mikuni-foxdist.com/tuning.pdf

And a great post here... http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=725121

Very impressed with the power output just blasting around the hood. I think I am going to LOVE this bike. It really seems to rip. We will find out shortly.

K
  3. WoodsChick Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    3 Terras, 2 `07 SM610s, `09 WB165,
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM, GasGas, Suzuki, Honda
    What's the low end like?

Do you know what it weighs yet?

I need to know these things, as it's time for another lightweight 2-stroke for the gnarly stuff:thumbsup:

WoodsChick
  4. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Seems quite good for a 125. I'll know more once I get a good few rides in and it gets broke in. Ripping it around the hood it is very impressive. More than I hoped for right now. I'm stoked.

220. Feels like 150, seriously. For some reason this one feels noticeably lighter than my 04 which felt super light. Frame?

Anyway these are all guesses as I have not really ridden it yet.

K
  5. rajobigguy Administrator

All this 125 talk has got me thinking that I need a feather weight to play with but I'm already drooling over a WR 300 and since none of those are street legal for connecting trails maybe I need a TE 250, then again I'm kind of a bigguy so I can't see me doing any hill climbs or open territory on anything less than a TE 310.
    I hate being so bipolar, well actually it wouldn't be so bad if I had enough money to take care of all my personalities.:D
  6. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    If you need a little street but want a nice trail bike the TE310 is going to be hard to beat.
  7. krieg Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Many in the past
    Other Motorcycles:
    '12 Triumph Scrambler
    Thanks for the links! That's great info. Were all the jetting parts you ended up using included with the bike (in the light kit)?
  8. Norman Foley Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Trumansburg, NY... The Beautiful, Finger Lakes
    Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR 86 250WR 93 WXE350 03 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    '85 Fantic 300 '12 HUSABERG TE250
    I have no idea where Husky came up with the XP needle number. I think they just assigned a number for the Service Bulletin because they weren't sure what the final needle would be. Kelly, did you check out the taper on the stock lean needle? It's cigar fat, except at the very end where it goes to pin size..... no wonder it ripped on top stock, only place it got fuel!
  9. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Yep. :thumbsup:
  10. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    So i rode the bike today, will do a full report. Very happy with it.

My jetting was off though. Not much but the mid range was never quite right. Good bottom and ripped up top but was flat in the middle with the above posted jetting. I raised the needle (fatter) and the mid came to life but it blubbered of the bottom. Going to try this setup but with a leaner pilot.
  11. Joe Chod Husqvarna
    Pro Class

my experience with 02, 04 and 07 125's was raise the clip 1 or 2 and drop the pilot 1 or 2 and whamo!
    IT'S ALIVE ! (said in best computer "Young Fankenstein" imitation)

PS Main and slide ok..main maybe up a little more in winter

New carb though means new rules but motor is basic same design.......now just on crystal meth from what it sounds........any one wanna buy a new/used 310.......you all stink for torturing me like this

Joe
  12. krieg Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Many in the past
    Other Motorcycles:
    '12 Triumph Scrambler
    Our '09 CR had the same flat mid issue. I raised the needle one clip and went to a 32.5 pilot (from the stock 35) and it helped but I think a new needle taper may be the ultimate solution but I can't seem to get enough info on TMX needles to choose the right one.
  13. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Thanks for the info

I agree about the needle. looks like we are all on the same page with this. Need to get a handful of needles to try. The up side is the slide takes all of 15 seconds to have in your hand. found out I don't even need to loosen and rotate the carb!!!

i replaced the Phillips heads with Allen cap screws and just us a small set of pliers to loosen and take out by hand. Quick and EZ.

You saw this right? http://www.mikuni-foxdist.com/tuning.pdf

Needle needs to be leaner down low (as lowering it made the bottom nice but mid flat) and richer when you get to about half throttle to fatten the mid power.

Maybe a call to Sudco?

Looking at the needle chart it looks like the 6F13 and 6DJ30 needles are lean at the bottom and fat at the top (mid range on the bike) Maybe those would be close?
  14. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    OK, here is some jucy info...

I just called Carb Parts Warehouse and the guy there told me the needles are proprietary to husky and he does not have them, cannot get them. He also said he works with the husky race team and they replace the carbs with a PWK 36. I know this was the hot mode with the WR250. Interesting. He thought if we were to get needles it would have to be from husky OEM.

That said I'm not sure if he just wants to sell carbs or this is the right info. Mine is so close I think i am going to work on it and see before replacing the carb. I have a friend with a PWK I might try.
  15. NWRider Husqvarna
    AA Class

Is this the same carb as other bikes have, such as the YZ125? If so would jetting specs and needles for it be a place to start? Or is the whole carb proprietary to Husky? If it's just the needles then just get YZ ones.

I never hear of people replacing their carbs on YZ125s (while owners of later CR250s that have the rectangular slide TMX often switch to a PWK) so I hope it is the same and it works well. That is just one less thing to buy when setting up a Husky.

The think I like about my PWK is I can use the JD jetting software to see exactly what I need to do to fix a lean or rich condition in part of the throttle. For some reason his spreadsheet does support the TMX.
  16. brock Husqvarna
    AA Class

!!!WARNING!!!

There is an upgrade KIT out for the 125

A new pipe, the existing pipe hits the shock bottle and will fall apart! As well as make a mess of the bottle!
    The upgrade routes under the shock bottle.

You need to remove one of the bolts from the top engine mount where it attaches to the frame or they will crack!

You need a different spark plug.

Also check the swingarm doesn't come into contact with the engine cases at full compression!

We have the kits this week in the UK, if you have a 125 then get onto your dealer quick.

Alec
    UK
  17. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    All new TMX, completely different slide, additional "starter" jet, supposedly different needles, bigger bowl etc.

[IMG]

[IMG]

i think I'll just raise the needle and put a smaller pilot in it. The bike rips as is, a good bit faster than my 04 CR top to bottom so i just need to tweak the jetting. i would like to play with some needles at some point though.
  18. NWRider Husqvarna
    AA Class

Maybe try raising the needle with the leaner slide also. I hope you guys have all the quirks sorted out by the time I can get a 09 :D

Let me know if you want to take that thing to Ginger Creek this Sunday
  19. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    tried that, did not work. I tried about every slide / jet combo. It's close but not perfect. I think the right needle would get it in the perfect zone.

- Sunday is a maybe, sorting things out at home.

K
  20. NWRider Husqvarna
    AA Class