1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

125-200cc '09 WR/CR125 P3 Carbon Fiber Tank

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by Norman Foley, Apr 8, 2009.

1. Norman Foley Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Trumansburg, NY... The Beautiful, Finger Lakes
    Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR 86 250WR 93 WXE350 03 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    '85 Fantic 300 '12 HUSABERG TE250
    I spoke to Lindsey Pirie of P3 today. He will build 3 gal carbon fiber '09 WR/CR125 tanks, but it will be expensive...... $2000 for prototype build up and the mold and $500-600 for the tank. Even if we got ten guys it will be $200 + tank price for each one. I'm going down soon to bring my bike for the pipe guard and skid plate molds to be made. I'll talk more to Lindsey and Eric about the tank.

Anyone interested at all?
  2. Mike Kay Husqvarna
    AA Class

You should send a PM to Ajax the desert master. Seems like he would want one. Just an idea.
  3. BlueHusky144 Husqvarna
    AA Class

I am interested, but I would need a final price before commiting. Like I said in the other thread I am still pursuing other options.

I don't mind the $500-$600 for the tank, its the other $2000 that we all have to swallow. Hopefully they will understand that they are possibly the only company to make a tank that will fit that bike. So most serious racers/riders that have the 2009, 2010, 20?? model 125's could be using their tanks they might waive or at least lower the prototype fee.

Once they make a tank and people start seeing it, and by word of mouth, they could be in for a huge surprise when an order for 50 tanks come in.
  4. ScottyR Husqvarna
    AA Class

I can live with the $500-$600, but the $2K turns me off.

I would want in writing that he cannot sell any tanks to anyone other than the original group unless he wants to buy the mold back.

I bet if you can get a committment from 7-10 guys with a cash deposit, the $2K charge may go away.

I would commit for 1 for $500 US.
  5. MOTORHEAD Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 YAMAHA YZ250
    I agree. If a group is paying for the mold, then they own it. If he wants to sell a tank to anyone but the owns, then they have to be paid a percentage. That's the way it's done in the plastic industry.
  6. Mike Kay Husqvarna
    AA Class

Maybe go thru Halls like with the IMS tanks? Have them shell out the $2k, and then have a deal with the distribution. I could see selling 10-15 of these things per year, if not considerably more.

With the US$ so strong to the Ozzie dollar, its a shame there isnt an Ozzie guy to make these tanks.

Just some ideas. Im learning a lot from this thread. :thumbsup:
  7. Norman Foley Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Some positive news..... The '09 WR/CR125 tank has the same part number as the not yet released '09 TC250 tank. This bike will also be released as an electric start off road version for '10. This means the potential market for a tank has increased quite a bit.

BlipBlip is a friend of the Piries and is talking to them about possibly hooking up with a plastics molder for a tank. This is an outside shot at this point.

Hall's.... I think they guarantee a minimum first order, but don't own the mold. I'm not really interested in a version of the 4 stroke IMS tank. I would have bought one if it fit, but it would have been a temporary solution for enduros until a better tank came along.

Lindsey puts a lot of time into the prototype and the mold, so I can see the mold price. He'll come up with a tank that will carry the fuel low. There is also a lot less margin on a $500 hand built carbon fiber tank than a $250 IMS plastic one. The other thing is, Lindsey puts a lot of work into a tank and then sometimes IMS copies it in plastic. This why P3 usually only does "Race Team" tanks.

I'll keep working on this option. Anyone who is serious about this tank, let me know. I told Lindsey tonight, that I would put up the mold charge myself. He said he didn't want me to do that, so maybe we can work it out. As Scott said, I think 10+ tanks might make this work out. You won't be dissapointed with the final product.
  8. fitness2go Husqvarna
    AA Class

2010 offroad version of the TC 250 with electric start? 225? That would be :banana::banana::banana: 2.5 gallons minimum...3.2 gallons max!

By the way, I think the tank deal would be great!
  9. ajaxauto Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Like i posted before i talked to a guy that makes tanks for the flat track racing teams
    He also does custom Harley and vintage tanks.All he does is custom aluim tanks
    He wants us to sent him some pictures or drawing of what we want Most of his tanks are in the 500 dollar range .So if any one has a picture of want they want let me know and i will foward it to him
  10. BlueHusky144 Husqvarna
    AA Class

:applause: Great news Norman!!! Keep us posted! :thumbsup:
  11. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    We are looking into fabing some in aluminum. Already have the ball rolling with a manufacture that doe this kind of stuff all the time. Nothing solidified yet but a good possibility. I think aluminum would be ultra cool.

K
  12. BlueHusky144 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Please let us know the details when available. Looks like I am not going to pursue if other people are already on it.
  13. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Hope to know by end of next week. My 125 is here so we have something to work from.
  14. Norman Foley Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    P3 plastic tank is looking more like a go, so maybe multiple options.
  15. Norman Foley Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    I took my bike down to P3 today so they can start mocking up skid plate, pipe guard and tank.

Lindsey showed me the pieces he used to mock up Glenn Kearney's WR300 tank. It was a complete one off tank that he layed up without a mold. They are still looking into a plastic tank, but may do a carbon fiber one. CF one will be $500 and I'm still working with him about a mold cost. Lindsey said even with the mold, it takes almost a week to build a tank, so he's not going to get rich off them. The tanks would 3 gal+ and come dry break ready with a Acerbis screw cap adapter mounted. If anyone is interested, let me know...... ScottyR and myself, maybe BlueHusky144 so far. Lindsey told me that Randy Hawkins has two tanks that he built for him hanging in his trophy room, they are art work!
  16. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Nice norm. :thumbsup: I'm going to wait a bit to see if the aluminum tank thing will happen with my bike but might have to jump on this if it does not. The thickness factor will be huge.

No sparky and no big tank is a pisser. :thumbsdown:
  17. HuskyDude Moderator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    13/TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    10/EC300, 76/TY175
    If that's the only choice we have....Well
    But I really would rather go plastic.

Is IMS totally out of the picture or just for this year?
  18. Norman Foley Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Number of '09 125's is pretty low, so I doubt it. If IMS just builds a version of what they have for the 4 strokes, I'm not really interested, I want my extra fuel low.
  19. HuskyDude Moderator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    13/TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    10/EC300, 76/TY175
    There's so much room just above the spark plug that would have to be a given.:thumbsup:
  20. Norman Foley Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Lindsey called me today, he flipped the tank over and it has the knock out for EFI fuel pump. It also had all the model applications molded in.......
    CR/WR125, TC/TXC250 and TE/SMR250 ( 4 strokes are upcoming, not present models ). With multiple bikes using the tank, a big tank is becoming more of a reality. I'll keep you posted.