1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

250-500cc '09 WR 250 First Ride

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by TakeTheRedPill, Apr 19, 2009.

1. Dirtdame Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 WR300,13 WR125,18 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 Beta Xtrainer
    I think I'd rather not have to tip my bike over to get it to start.:p
  2. Clayfan Husqvarna
    A Class

Tipping any 2 stroke reed valved bike on its side for a cold start is quite common.
    I have always done that and with the choke on I kick through slowly twice, this charges the cylinder.
    Usually I can light my 08 WR 250 in one or two kicks using this method.
    On my sons 08 CR125 it is the only way to make it start in less than 4 kicks cold. The 125 is much harder to charge the cylinder with fuel.
  3. 2whlrcr Husqvarna
    A Class

Bring back Bing carbs
  4. HuskyDude Moderator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    13/TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    10/EC300, 76/TY175
    Works for me.:thumbsup:
    After have the GG Trials 280 or my kids quad sit for a month... this is the only way you can get things happen'n in a couple kicks.
  5. Rusty 2 Husqvarna
    A Class

My '03 KTM 300 likes 'the tip over',...but the '06 never seems to need it.
    I guess that maneuver sorta bypasses the float valve and partially floods it just a bit.

Bikes are quirky animals ain't they?
  6. MattR 2T Forum Clerk

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WB165, SM610
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha FZ1
    I believe tipping the bike over allows the carb to be filled with fresh gas and the old gas is purged out the vent tube. The fresh gas maintains your proper fuel mixture. I also like a couple easy charging kicks like Clayfan mentioned.

When the old premix gas sits in the carb, the gas evaporates over time and the concentration of oil becomes greater. Then, when you go to start the bike, air enters the system and you will end up in a lean condition (same air + more oil = less gas in the total mixture). This makes starting more difficult (less fuel to ignite). Also, you may notice the engine rpms to be higher due to the lean condition.
  7. Rusty 2 Husqvarna
    A Class

I'd buy that theory except for the fact that it works on my '03 even when the gas in the bowl and the gas in the tank are from the same batch of pre-mix,....and the tank is vented same as the carb.....:excuseme:
  8. Dirtdame Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 Beta Xtrainer
    Strangely, it seems that the fuel in the float bowl deteriorates faster than whats in the tank. I've had nasty smelling turpentine in the float bowl while the stuff in the tank didn't seem to be in very bad shape.:confused: Of course I make sure to drain the carbs on all my bikes after a ride, just in case I don't get back to them in a timely manner.
  9. Rusty 2 Husqvarna
    A Class

Probably a good idea. I've always run Stabil in all my bikes at "operational strength",...(half the amount used for long term storage). I've never had a carb gum up yet,...it's pretty good stuff.
  10. Dirtdame Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 Beta Xtrainer
    I use Stabil too, but still have had some problems. Probably something to do with the wimpy formulation of Southern California gasoline.