1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

09 Te 510 No Start.

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by FarNorCalStix, Nov 22, 2022.

1. FarNorCalStix Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 TE 510
    Hello, I'm new here. Been searching a lot and still couldn't find anything really specific to my problem.

My 2009 TE 510 with 2400 miles on it will not start. My step son rode it on a short ride another neighborhood and parked it. It ran normal with no indication to having any problems. He asked about the kick start and if it was hard to start. I said try it He kicked it a few times and being short he was struggling and gave up.

Maybe an hour or so went by and I decided I was going to start it so I could ride it the short distance back into the garage. That's when it didn't want to start. It will crank, pop here and there and then one time it did start and was revving really hard on its own. I shut it off and let it sit for a few minutes. Tried again and it will crank and pop like a small back fire and not do anything else.

I did pull the spark plug out and check for spark. The spark plug is sparking. I'm wondering if the compression release is stuck possibly?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  2. Mik-3 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Husvarna SM510R 2010
    Check that rubber thing, between ITB and head, when those EFI bike back fire, those can pop-out that ITB,
    FarNorCalStix likes this.
  3. FarNorCalStix Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 TE 510
    Thank you for the suggestion. ITB? Is that the rubber intake boot between the throttle body and cylinder?
  4. FarNorCalStix Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 TE 510
    Oh I should have also mentioned in my previous reply but didn't.

I spoke with the previous owner. He said the gas was in it since August. I don't know that that would be a huge problem as I did ride it approximately 30-35ish miles without a hiccup or anything noticeably wrong happening. Just because I did replace the spark plug yesterday as well as remove the fuel tank and completely empty the fuel. It was getting late and I didn't get it back together yet.
    Mik-3 likes this.
  5. Mik-3 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Husvarna SM510R 2010
    Yes, that bubber intake(was not remember that right name) and should write throttle body...But that thing
  6. FarNorCalStix Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 TE 510
    Everything looks like it should. So my motorcycle has the power up deal done to it. I noticed that I am getting a sel 2 failure and E41E on the dash. I still have the fuel tank offhand was kind of looking over the wiring harness.

I'm thinking the electrical plug for the o2 sensor is maybe screwed up. For lack of better words the dummy plug may have been loose or dirty/not a good connection.
    I pulled the dummy plug out and then turned the key on. I still got the sel 2 fail message. Plugged it back in and the sel 2 fail message went away.

Maybe it's something maybe not I still haven't had a chance to put the fuel tank back on and try to start it.

I'm totally new to the Husqvarna brand and fuel injection. I'm starting to wonder if this was a mistake. Previous owner mentioned he replaced the stator and fuel pump. Now it goes from running great to not running at all just after being parked for an hour. I don't know if I feel I can trust it.
  7. FarNorCalStix Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 TE 510
    Put the fuel tank back on with some fresh gas. Still no start.
  8. Mik-3 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Husvarna SM510R 2010
    That SEL 1 or SEL 2 fail codes in speedo is normal when you have bike in fullpowermode, i had those same fails every time when turning power on and never had any issues etc.
    So that is normal, but that E41E for that i cannot say what that is. I had my Husky from new from 2010 and driven 13 500km hard street drive, never had any issues(only one time TPS sensor inside throttle body was bad, but i had warranty, few clutch line issues, but nothing major). But used old bikes are always risk to get it, every time, dosent matter if you get it from some sale company, also new bike from factory, can be risk. I would suspect there is something happen, when that sound little odd, when bike is just standing and it dies, what fuel pump previous owner but in there

So i would check timing, and if it sparks, are engine getting fuel
    valve clearancedo you have electric start or only kick start, if have electric starter, is the start strong
    have you use cold star when starting
    check fuses
    also if possible to check fuel pressure...
  9. Mik-3 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Husvarna SM510R 2010
    I was doing some google, when you say that fail E41E, is that comming every time when you turn power on, if yes, check those fuses, ah i would change all to be sure, also try to disconnect horn wires, then try to start again
  10. FarNorCalStix Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 TE 510
    One of the first things I did was check all the fuses. I also swapped relays around into different positions. After plugging the electrical connector back into the fuel pump I turned the key on with the fuel line disconnected. In the very short time I let the fuel pump run it pumped out quite a large volume of fuel.

I will have to look into what I need to do to check the timing. It does have spark, the fuel pump is pumping fuel, my compression tester does not have the right adapter but the kick start definitely tells me it has compression.

I guess my next step is maybe try some starting fluid to see if the fuel injector is working. Kind of weird it ran fine and was turned off with the killswitch or key and now it will not start. I am going to assume this is some kind of electrical problem at this point.
  11. FarNorCalStix Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 TE 510
    Good news. Mik-3 you were correct. I looked and looked and didn't see the problem until just now. The throttle body had pulled out of the rubber boot on the cylinder side. It looked like it was full on from the left side but it was off on the right side. I feel so stupid. I did However learn a lot. I appreciate your advise and wanted to say thank you. If you are ever on this side of the Pond I owe you a drink.

Thank you again for your time. Like I said I really appreciate it a lot. I was pulling my hair out.
    Sjiefke and Mik-3 like this.
  12. Mik-3 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Husvarna SM510R 2010
    Cool, that problem found. No problem clad to help and if that help was benefited. But next time when the engine pop or something back fire happen, in starting or low revs etc..Check that rubber boot, when usually that back fire is pretty hard these fuel injected bikes..
  13. FarNorCalStix Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 TE 510
    I haven't had a chance to ride yet. I am cleaning up the mess of wiring rat nest under the rear fender. I found some very scary electrical work. I removed a ton of extra wire length for the aftermarket lights and turn signals. There were wires spliced and spliced together.

I took everything out that was unnecessary and an extra mile long. Soldered the wires and used heat shrink tubing.

Could the rat nest of crappy taped together wires be a cause for the E41 message? And if so will the errcode go away on its own or will I hate ride the motorcycle for it to go away?

I