'08 sm610 not starting...

Discussion in '610/630' started by mconway, Oct 31, 2016.

1. mconway Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE250, 450smr, 610sm
    I rode to work the other day as I do everyday and once I got there, I realized I left something at home and jumped back on the bike and it wouldnt start.

Dash lights up. I can hear what I think is the fuel pump priming. But when I hit the button, nothing.

Seems like it would be a electrical/fuse issue. I checked the fuses I could find (without knowing which has anything to do with ignition) and all appear to be in tact. Can someone inform me as to which specific fuses would cause this problem?
    And other suggestions as to what to check...?

I don't have a volt meter, but perhaps now is the time to buy one..?
  2. hardtop Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 610 TE
    Other Motorcycles:
    Aprilia Caponord
    Not being a smart as here but have you made sure the red stop button above the starter button has not been pushed. If it has you need to push it again to reset. Don't ask me why this comes to mind.
  3. DYNOBOB Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    SuperTenere-GL1800-CBR900RR-KLX250S
    Did you check the main fuse plus the three in the fusebox?

4. Etze Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SM610 2006
    Other Motorcycles:
    Non
    I have a carbed 610 with simialar problems a while ago.

Had to stop at a railroad crossing (several minutes) and when i wanted to Start the motor again, nothing happended.

Speedo was working/lights were on. When i got back home (in full leathet gear :D) i checked the battery with a voltmeter.

Result was over 12V which seemed normal, but when i pressed the starter with the voltmeter still on the battery the voltage was only 5-6V.

Long story short, my battery died after several years. So i reccommend to check the voltage.
  5. JonXX Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    360CR 360WR SM610 TC450 TXC250 TC250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Hondas, Harleys, Yammys & a squid
    You may need to replace the section of harness between the starter button and the ignition switch. Check the connector from the ignition (key) switch to the main harness for a "toasty" brown color on the wires and/or corroded or pulled out terminals within the connector housing. I had all of the above happen in conjunction with a broken wire that gave me your symptoms.
  6. Raaron12 Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 sm610
    +1 on starting with the battery. Not sure how old your battery is but I would say my average life is 3 years for a battery.
  7. Muddy Waters Husqvarna
    AA Class

Hey, hope everyone is doing well.
    I'm going to wake this thread up a little if you guys don't mind.

My 08 SM610 was having some issues with starting last year; it made the one "click" sound when I pushed the button and another when i released it, but nothing in between.
    The battery was in there for some time and I wasn't riding it too often so i didn't know if I maybe overcooked it on the trickle charger or what?
    I had to charge it for a while and then switch the charger to full cranking power for it to start.
    Like I said, didn't really ride it too much at the time so never even bothered to investigate it any further.

It's been sitting for probably three or four months now, until the other day when I wrecked my van and figured I'll just drop a new battery in the bike and keep on going.

So went and got that fancy Shorai LFX21A6-BS12 battery, put it in there and it's doing the same thing that the old heavy battery did;
    -Made sure the bike is in neutral, turn the key on and all the pretty lights comes on bright and strong.
    -Press the top red priming button and the neutral light comes on and you can hear the fuel pump doing it's thing.
    -Squeeze the clutch in and press the black ignition button under the red one and all it does is make one "click" when I press it and one "click" when I release it, nothing in between, the engine does not turn at all.

I guess I'll start with checking the fuses tomorrow unless someone has a better idea.
  8. Muddy Waters Husqvarna
    AA Class

Ok, finally got back to it after the hurricane and some other stuff.
    Got a multimeter to figure what's going on in there;
    - Old battery was indeed done, new Shorai is as strong as an ox.
    - Power goes into the solenoid and makes a nice strong "click" sound, but doesn't come out on the other end to keep on and wake the starter up.
    - Starter cranks with a straight connection to a battery jumper.

I'll check the solenoid to starter cable and connections tomorrow in the daylight (I think it's time to upgrade my garage lighting).
    Where do you guys get your 08 610 solenoids from?